Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 15, 2008 1:08:39 PM PDT
M. Baker says:
My 11 week old is doing great other than one issue. Since 9 weeks, he has made it through the night without a feeding (I dreamfeed around 9:30 and usually feed him again around 6 AM...he is solely breastfed). From the start, we have always swaddled him because he flails a lot a wakes himself up or prevents himself from falling asleep without the swaddle. At night, when we swaddle him and give him a pacifier, all we do is lay him in his crib and he falls asleep almost instantly. We don't have to walk him, rock him, or anything. The problem is that he wakes up repeatedly through the night, requiring only his pacifier to fall instantly back to sleep. Sometimes he wakes up 10 times a night wanting his pacifier. We've tried leaving one arm out of the swaddle to see if he can self-soothe, but after hearing him cry for an hour, we finally gave in and gave him his paci, at which time he immediately went to sleep again. He had also scratched himself in two places and had not been able to self-soothe at all. Any suggestions on how to get him to sleep more solidly through the night? We would love for him to make it 6 hours or so without waking for his paci. We hate to complain since we know it's a blessing that he falls asleep so easily once he is swaddled and has a pacifier, but on the other hand, it is really wearing me out to be getting out of bed going to his nursery every 30 minutes just to put in a pacifier. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2008 11:04:45 AM PDT
loonyhoops says:
i went through exactly the same thing with my little girl. i swear i put that paci back in her mouth hundreds of times. after a while though, (a couple of months) she began to reach for it and fumble around in the dark till she found it. she couldn't always get it back to her mouth but she was trying. sometimes we would help her. eventually, by about 5 months she learnt to reach around for it and put it back in herself. took a while but she just learnt how to do it herself. just be patient and he will get the hang of it sooner or later.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2008 3:12:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2008 5:39:11 PM PDT
A. Harris says:
From my experience, I think your baby is hungry.

I had the opposite situation. I thought my baby (who would eat every 3-4hrs during the day) for some reason needed to eat every 2-3hrs at night. I realised that he may not be hungry every single time he wakes at night so when he wakes I put in the paci. If he wakes up within the hour, or doesn't settle, then I know he is hungry. Otherwise, that is enough to settle him and he will sleep for another hour or two. This is easy for me as the baby sleeps in a basinette next to my bed so I don't have to totally wake in order to insert the paci so it can buy me an extra half hour of sleep before he wakes up really, truly hungry. I then pull him into my bed to feed him lying down as it is more restful for me than sitting up.

By the way, it sounds like you are recognising your baby's sleepy signs and putting him to bed at the right time which is better than I was doing at 11wks! :-) The swaddling and paci seem to be sleep cues that relax him, as they are with my 5mth old who also goes to sleep easily. My little guy also works his arms out and those limbs that flail around uncontrollably keep him awake, sometimes he even grabs ahold of his paci and pulls it out of his mouth. I'm sure he wonders what these things are that keep poking him in the face and won't let him sleep!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2008 8:17:05 PM PST
Emily Ayala says:
I was searching the internet for a similar situation that I am running into with my 3 1/2 month now. What ever happened with your son? Does it get better? Your story is identical to my son. Any advice would be great!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2008 6:27:18 PM PST
M. Baker says:
I highly recommend the book "Good Night, Sleep Tight" by Kim West. Someone recommended it to us, and we followed her guidelines, which worked like a charm. It took a few nights, but after the first night alone there was a huge improvement (and it came without a lot of crying, which was a huge relief for me!) My son is now 5 months old. He goes to bed at 7, then I go in and feed him around 9:30 (but he's not really awake for this feeding), and after that he sleeps through the night until 6:30 or 7 the next morning. It is wonderful! The only time we hear him is if he has a messy diaper in the middle of the night. We basically had to teach him to learn how to get himself through his nighttime wakings on his own....we had to let him learn that a paci is not necessary. So the first night we had about an hour of crying, but that was it...the rest was super easy and we just did exactly as she recommended in the book. It's a great investment! Good luck to you....I know I was worn out with having to walk down to his nursery every 45 minutes to an hour. He'd wake up before I even had time to get back to sleep! It was exhausting. He's been sleeping through since about 4 months of age, though, so you're really close! Hang in there!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2008 7:30:30 PM PST
Emily Ayala says:
Aw, you made me feel soooo much better. I will get that book tomorrow!!! I might ask you some more questions after I read the book, I hope that is okay. I have talked to everyone I know who has little ones and no one has a similar story. So your help is fantastic. Thanks so much!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2008 7:52:52 AM PST
M. Baker says:
more than happy to answer any of your questions. no one i talked with could help, which is why i originally posted on this blog. one thing i forgot to mention, i'm not sure if you're swaddling or not, but we did tackle that first. we just did away with the swaddle one night and first taught him that he didn't need that sleep crutch. after that, we tackled the paci. we still give him the paci when he's going to sleep, but we resisted giving it to him throughout the night and tried to soothe him through his wakings by ssshhhshing or rubbing his back. eventually we could attach his paci with a clip so that he learned to find it on his own (we attached it low so that there was no way it could choke him). now, however, we just give it to him when we lie him down...we no longer attach it to him. he doesn't seem to care that this point if he loses it during the night. i throw a few in there with him so usually he can find one if he fumbles around long enough. as of november, he's also been rolling over in his crib, so there's nothing we can do at this point to stop him from sleeping on his stomach. we have one of those babysense monitors, so i don't let it worry me too much, and he seems to sleep very well on his belly!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2009 8:36:12 AM PDT
RAD says:
Hi Emily, I am going through the exact same thing right now. My son is 3 months old and wakes up every 1-2 hours only for his pacifier. As soon as I put it in his mouth, he falls back asleep. Did the book help? Was there anything else that you did that worked? How long did you go through this. Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted on Sep 15, 2009 6:54:52 AM PDT
JABP says:
My 8 week old suddenly started doing this a few nights ago- waking every 45 min to an hour and just wants her paci. I have a love/hate relationship with the paci, as it calms her and puts her back to sleep, but it's what she wakes up for and why I have to drag myself out of bed. She did have a really good pattern going at night for awhile and would hardly wake between feeds, but now she won't stay asleep very long and now her naps have gone from 1-2 hrs to 30-45 minutes, as she wakes herself up from those and won't go back to sleep. The chiropractor told me that she's waking herself up during her sleep cycles, as she switches from deep to light sleep. That's great to know, but I need to know if I should get rid of the paci or try something else to end this vicious cycle! Any help y'all can send would be great!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2009 11:12:52 AM PDT
S. Thompson says:
We have the same problem with our 14 week old. Been going on for weeks now and we are totally exhausted. He goes to sleep easily and peacefully, but wakes 30 minutes into naps and every 1-2 hours at night for the pacifier. It's the only thing that will put him back to sleep. What is the answer??

Posted on Sep 25, 2009 6:40:26 PM PDT
My daughter has slept through the night since 3 weeks of age!! Talk about an adorable angel. But I think maybe she's paying my back for it now, just kidding!!! OK, seriously, she's 3 months old now and I'm in the same boat here. She's all the sudden waking for the paci, and I know that's all it is because if I attempt to feed (I bf only now), she latches, then the eyes roll in her head and she sleeps...so i've stopped experimenting with that, and she can make it 10 hrs w/o a feeding, but she will wake up every couple of hours if not more frequently and I pop the paci, and she's immediately asleep. I'm sure it's frustrating for her and it's obviously tiring for me. I thrive on structure and my BIBLE is Weissbluth's Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy child, and I do what he said right on to a tee.

Posted on Sep 25, 2009 6:41:15 PM PDT
My daughter has slept through the night since 3 weeks of age!! Talk about an adorable angel. But I think maybe she's paying my back for it now, just kidding!!! OK, seriously, she's 3 months old now and I'm in the same boat here. She's all the sudden waking for the paci, and I know that's all it is because if I attempt to feed (I bf only now), she latches, then the eyes roll in her head and she sleeps...so i've stopped experimenting with that, and she can make it 10 hrs w/o a feeding, but she will wake up every couple of hours if not more frequently and I pop the paci, and she's immediately asleep. I'm sure it's frustrating for her and it's obviously tiring for me. I thrive on structure and my BIBLE is Weissbluth's Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy child, and I do what he said right on to a tee.

Posted on Sep 25, 2009 6:41:44 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 9:14:55 AM PST
saucy says:
I am having this exact same issue. My 4.5 month old is sleeping through the night fine and only wakes for the paci. I will definitely get the book you mentioned above but was wondering about when you removed the swaddle. I've tried removing the swaddle and also just leaving one arm out. When I do either of those, she always pulls her paci out of her mouth and then cries for it. Does the book address this issue as well? Thank you so much for this post and all the great info!!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Sep 15, 2008
Latest post:  Dec 6, 2012

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night
The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night by Elizabeth Pantley (Paperback - April 18, 2002)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (1,432)