Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Scent Name: Fragrance Free|Size: 8.45 Ounce (Pack of 2)|Change
Price:$11.98 - $21.14

on November 20, 2015
Regarding the continuing bad reviews because of the active ingredient, benzalkonium chloride, let's remember what this product is. If you are seeking a product that will sanitize your hands, then you are trying to find something that will KILL bacteria and viruses that might be present there. You can not have a product that kills microbes and yet doesn't have any negative effects on living tissue. Of COURSE the ingredient can be toxic in large quantities, and of course you wouldn't want to use this stuff straight. At low concentrations as in this product, it is considered to be safe. You don't want to eat it, and you don't want to bathe in it, and truthfully, you probably don't want to use it too often. However, in a school or other setting where they require hand sanitizer to be used, probably better this than some of the mainstream brands that contain both alcohol and fragrances, which are far more harmful. Some other product preparations also contain retinyl palmitate, which is a very problematic ingredient. Do some reading on the active ingredient here: http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/700674/BENZALKONIUM_CHLORIDE/

This is a good product to do what is intended to do, in a minimally unsafe way. However, if you want a product that kills microbes on your skin, you are never going to find one that is extremely effective and also completely without any safety concerns. The best way is soap and water. If that is not an option and you must use a hand sanitizer, then using one without fragrance is the way to go.
VINE VOICEon January 9, 2014
After reading some frightening reviews here about the active ingredient being toxic, I went to the manufacturer's website to look for proof that their products are safe. When you check out the BabyGanics website, there are a lot of "warm and fuzzy" words making you feel like their products, developed by two dads, are super-safe. If you click on the link that says "Meet Our Trusted Advisors," you find one doctor listed. I didn't find anything on the website that made me forget about the reviews siting credible references that indicated the main ingredient (Benzalkonium Chloride 0.1%) is toxic. I Googled it myself in hopes of finding proof that it was safe to use. What I found is that benzalkonium chloride is also used as a processing aid on lettuce and carrots. It is approved by the FDA for that use. It's also used in many shampoos and cosmetics.

Our family has tried the BabyGanics hand sanitizer out for a couple weeks now, and we actually like the texture of it, and the way it doesn't tear your skin up by drying it out. Better than that, though, is that you don't pass out from the alcohol smell (no alcohol in it) or the fragrance (no fragrance in it). A family member is an asthmatic, and other hand sanitizers have caused problems before. It is a relief that we found one that doesn't bother him.

So our conclusion is that we are going to continue to use it, on a limited basis. We keep it in our vehicle for use on the road, and we are quite satisfied with it. Also, when we have "hospital days," where we are in doctor's offices and hospitals all day, we are happy to have BabyGanics with us to try to keep all the other germs away.

Reports have shown that soap and water are better than hand sanitizers, and that you should wash your hands for at least 24 seconds (long enough to sing Happy Birthday twice). You should wash ALL of your hands, in between fingers, and the fingernails as well. If you can't get to soap and water (hot water, by the way), then a hand sanitizer is better than nothing, and we think that the BabyGanics hand sanitizer is a good choice for us. Thanks for reading this review. I hope it helped someone.
44 comments|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon December 5, 2013
I am of two minds about this product. On the one hand, I think people overuse anti-microbial cleansers and as a society we are likely to pay for that in the long run. Further, other reviewers here have noted that the particular toxins in this product kill fish and may be mutagenic.

That said, we put it out at kids' birthday parties, as when you have dozens of young children running around, and eating food with their fingers, parents appreciate seeing it. And for those worried about allergic reactions, I can report only that nobody in my household has found this stuff to be at all irritating.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 3, 2013
I bought a pack of foaming hand sanitizer from Costco a few years back and loved it. The foam made it really easy to use when compared to gels that would often slide right off of my children's hands. When I ran out, I kept my eye open at Costco for more but they never stocked it again. It never occurred to me to check the active ingredient of hand sanitizers, for whatever reason. I did a lot of research for sunblock, but I knew most sunblock had harmful chemicals. I now know that the active ingredient in the product I purchased at Costco, called HandClens, used Benzalkonium Chloride, at 0.13% concentration. The BabyGanics product also uses Benzalkonium Chloride, at 0.1% concentration.

Now, I really don't know whether or not to trust products that use Benzalkonium Chloride. There's just not enough evidence, one way or the other, to tell if it's safe for use in hand sanitizers. Like the chemicals used in sunblock, it's probably safer to go ahead and use the chemicals to protect yourself, than to be exposed to the sun, or germs in this case. However, I do seek safer alternatives whenever possible. And in the case of hand sanitizers, there does seem to be an alternative. I've used CleanWell products in the past in the form of a spray. The spray form seems to be the least efficient way to apply hand sanitizer, in my opinion, but the product itself doesn't have any harmful chemicals that I'm aware of. So, while the BabyGanics foaming hand sanitizer goes on well and probably does a good job at killing germs, I probably won't be buying more. That's just me, of course, and I'd encourage you to do your own research before making a decision.
on August 3, 2012
I bought this product to use for hand santizing when interacting with infants. It smells great and santizes as indicated. However, it is *not* benzlkonium chloride free. Benzlkonium chloride may have safety issues.
on September 1, 2015
concerns about the benzalkonium chloride (from wikipedia):
There is acknowledgement that more data are required on its safety, efficacy and effectiveness, especially with relation to:

Human pharmacokinetic studies, including information on its metabolites
Studies on animal absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion
Data to help define the effect of formulation on dermal absorption
Carcinogenicity
Studies on developmental and reproductive toxicology
Potential hormonal effects
Assessment of the potential for development of bacterial resistance
on June 8, 2015
The whole family hates this stuff! It just feels like pumping water into your hand, without any real foaming action to speak of. Then your hands feel wet, and take a while to dry. What's the point of that!??! I got unscented since I have eczema, and baby probably will as well. It has a weird smell for being fragrance free. I didn't look into the ingredients before purchasing, but I'm leery now that I've researched Benzalkonium chloride a bit more. I'm a first time mom, so I'm learning you can't trust these "all natural" baby company's lies!
on June 16, 2014
My problem with most hand sanitizers is that after using them, my hands feel gross, like I still want to wash them. This stuff leaves hands feeling clean, with no coating - I don't feel the need to constantly wipe off my hands after using it. I keep a bottle in the car and use it frequently. One bottle will last a LONG time. And it's alcohol free so I don't worry about putting it on my kids' hands, either. Two mom-thumbs way up!
on February 26, 2016
I love having a safe product and it does not dry my hands out like alcohol ones. After my son was firstborn we were using a common hand sanitizer after every diaper change. Well you know there are a lot in the beginning, so my hands were getting quite dry and cracking. The last thing I need to be worrying about is dry hands. Luckily this product does not dry out my hands and feels soft during application. I definitely stocked up on this product and purchased over ten bottles. I did not want to worry about running out and have to go back to old stuff. It is so great that it does not harm him which is the most important part. I purchased many other products in their line for my house and my parents house. Definitely worth a try if you have never purchased one.
If my review has helped you in any way please consider clicking 'Yes'. Thanks in advance.
on February 20, 2016
Doesn't dry out your hands and love the no fragrance! You won't get the alcohol cooling feeling when using this product and it takes a bit longer to rub in (by a few seconds), but the BIG plus side is that your hands don't dry out with multiple uses per day and you aren't overwhelmed since there is no scent. Using hand sanitizer many times per day, this product is a life saver and also makes me feel better about touching sensitive skin (like babies) and my own skin knowing that my hands aren't covered in germs, super perfume-y smell, and alcohol and chemicals. I have eczema and very dry, sensitive skin and have had no issues with this sanitizer.