Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on HTL

Scent Name: Fragrance FreeSize: 8.45 Ounce (Pack of 2)Change
Price:$12.42+ $6.49 shipping

VINE VOICEon January 9, 2014
After reading some frightening reviews here about the active ingredient being toxic, I went to the manufacturer's website to look for proof that their products are safe. When you check out the BabyGanics website, there are a lot of "warm and fuzzy" words making you feel like their products, developed by two dads, are super-safe. If you click on the link that says "Meet Our Trusted Advisors," you find one doctor listed. I didn't find anything on the website that made me forget about the reviews siting credible references that indicated the main ingredient (Benzalkonium Chloride 0.1%) is toxic. I Googled it myself in hopes of finding proof that it was safe to use. What I found is that benzalkonium chloride is also used as a processing aid on lettuce and carrots. It is approved by the FDA for that use. It's also used in many shampoos and cosmetics.

Our family has tried the BabyGanics hand sanitizer out for a couple weeks now, and we actually like the texture of it, and the way it doesn't tear your skin up by drying it out. Better than that, though, is that you don't pass out from the alcohol smell (no alcohol in it) or the fragrance (no fragrance in it). A family member is an asthmatic, and other hand sanitizers have caused problems before. It is a relief that we found one that doesn't bother him.

So our conclusion is that we are going to continue to use it, on a limited basis. We keep it in our vehicle for use on the road, and we are quite satisfied with it. Also, when we have "hospital days," where we are in doctor's offices and hospitals all day, we are happy to have BabyGanics with us to try to keep all the other germs away.

Reports have shown that soap and water are better than hand sanitizers, and that you should wash your hands for at least 24 seconds (long enough to sing Happy Birthday twice). You should wash ALL of your hands, in between fingers, and the fingernails as well. If you can't get to soap and water (hot water, by the way), then a hand sanitizer is better than nothing, and we think that the BabyGanics hand sanitizer is a good choice for us. Thanks for reading this review. I hope it helped someone.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 3, 2012
I bought this product to use for hand santizing when interacting with infants. It smells great and santizes as indicated. However, it is *not* benzlkonium chloride free. Benzlkonium chloride may have safety issues.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon December 5, 2013
I am of two minds about this product. On the one hand, I think people overuse anti-microbial cleansers and as a society we are likely to pay for that in the long run. Further, other reviewers here have noted that the particular toxins in this product kill fish and may be mutagenic.

That said, we put it out at kids' birthday parties, as when you have dozens of young children running around, and eating food with their fingers, parents appreciate seeing it. And for those worried about allergic reactions, I can report only that nobody in my household has found this stuff to be at all irritating.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 3, 2013
I bought a pack of foaming hand sanitizer from Costco a few years back and loved it. The foam made it really easy to use when compared to gels that would often slide right off of my children's hands. When I ran out, I kept my eye open at Costco for more but they never stocked it again. It never occurred to me to check the active ingredient of hand sanitizers, for whatever reason. I did a lot of research for sunblock, but I knew most sunblock had harmful chemicals. I now know that the active ingredient in the product I purchased at Costco, called HandClens, used Benzalkonium Chloride, at 0.13% concentration. The BabyGanics product also uses Benzalkonium Chloride, at 0.1% concentration.

Now, I really don't know whether or not to trust products that use Benzalkonium Chloride. There's just not enough evidence, one way or the other, to tell if it's safe for use in hand sanitizers. Like the chemicals used in sunblock, it's probably safer to go ahead and use the chemicals to protect yourself, than to be exposed to the sun, or germs in this case. However, I do seek safer alternatives whenever possible. And in the case of hand sanitizers, there does seem to be an alternative. I've used CleanWell products in the past in the form of a spray. The spray form seems to be the least efficient way to apply hand sanitizer, in my opinion, but the product itself doesn't have any harmful chemicals that I'm aware of. So, while the BabyGanics foaming hand sanitizer goes on well and probably does a good job at killing germs, I probably won't be buying more. That's just me, of course, and I'd encourage you to do your own research before making a decision.
on November 17, 2013
I can't believe this product comes from a company that claims to make organic and natural products for babies and kids. This product kills the bacteria using a chemical called Benzalkonium chloride 0.1%
There is evidence that benzalkonium chloride is an immune, skin, and respiratory toxicant, with laboratory tests hinting at mutative (carcinogenic) effects.
And it's being sold as an alternative to alcohol containing hand sanitizers for adults handling babies and for the use for kids.
I hope that one day these companies realize that we don't need anymore harmful chemicals in our bodies and they should be more transparent when using chemicals that harm the body.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2012
I prefer this hand sanitizer over one like Purell because it's easier on my hands. I have a 2-month old and go thru a lot of hand sanitizer!
on August 2, 2015
The main anti bacterial ingredient in this is Benzalkonium chloride. A lot of research suggests it is dangerous stuff. Here is a snippet from Wikipedia. If you are skeptical about info on Wikipedia, just google it and you will find numerous sources that suggest this.

Benzalkonium chloride is a human skin and severe eye irritant.[20] It is a suspected respiratory toxicant, immunotoxicant, gastrointestinal toxicant and neurotoxicant.[21][22][23]

Benzalkonium chloride formulations for consumer use are dilute solutions. Concentrated solutions are toxic to humans, causing corrosion/irritation to the skin and mucosa, and death if taken internally in sufficient volumes. 0.1% is the maximum concentration of benzalkonium chloride that does not produce primary irritation on intact skin or act as a sensitizer.[24]
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 3, 2013
The main ingredient in this hand sanitizer is benzalkonium chloride. In some ways, it's not as scary as it sounds. The Good Guide has no problems with it. It's the same stuff in Bactine, which has been used relatively safely for my whole life. On the other hand, according to my internet research, it can cause allergic reactions in some people, and it has raised some people's concerns about contributing to drug-resistant bacteria. It's not as bad as triclosan, but it's possibly not something you want to be slathering all over your kid every day.

Still, unless you want to pay top dollar for organic aloe, tea tree oil, and lavender concoctions or make them yourself, your choices are sanitizers with alcohol, sanitizers with alcohol AND triclosan, and this - which is by far the best of those three options.
on June 16, 2014
My problem with most hand sanitizers is that after using them, my hands feel gross, like I still want to wash them. This stuff leaves hands feeling clean, with no coating - I don't feel the need to constantly wipe off my hands after using it. I keep a bottle in the car and use it frequently. One bottle will last a LONG time. And it's alcohol free so I don't worry about putting it on my kids' hands, either. Two mom-thumbs way up!
on September 1, 2015
concerns about the benzalkonium chloride (from wikipedia):
There is acknowledgement that more data are required on its safety, efficacy and effectiveness, especially with relation to:

Human pharmacokinetic studies, including information on its metabolites
Studies on animal absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion
Data to help define the effect of formulation on dermal absorption
Studies on developmental and reproductive toxicology
Potential hormonal effects
Assessment of the potential for development of bacterial resistance