5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding for preparing baby food
This does a great job of converting small to medium quantities of food into a consistency that is perfect for our 6 month old daughter. We had used the hand crank thing but that was a pain. This is also preferable to a blender because when preparing smaller quantities as the results are more uniform and there is less lost to the equipment.

My only reservation...
Published on March 23, 2009 by Bob Tobias

3.0 out of 5 stars not a mill, a chopper
Published on August 23, 2009 by M. Jerrie

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding for preparing baby food, March 23, 2009
This review is from: BabySteps Electric Food Mill - F900 (Baby Product)

My only reservation was the comment about the lack of an on/off switch. I was about to run to the hardware store (quick as a bunny) and buy one to add to the line cord. However my wife, no stranger to a kitchen, pointed out that this food mill works just like... a food mill. It only goes on when you place the motor housing on top of the container *and* press down. That is the on/off switch. Adding something else would only make the thing more difficult to operate than it needs to be. In fact, we leave the motor housing plugged in all the time. When it's our daughter's dinner time we fill the container with stuff, set the housing on top of the container, and press down. A few seconds later we have a nourishing and freshly made meal for her. (We usually make a little extra and add it to our dog's food because she likes it too.)

As we go through our parenting journey we are learning there are certain essentials and this, imho, is one of them.

BTW, I feel that honest, effective reviews can take the place of first-hand experiences that are lacking in online shopping. I've always appreciated the help I've received from other reviewers and work hard to return the favor as best as I can. I hope you found this review helpful and if there was anything you thought was lacking or unclear leave a comment and I'll do what I can to fix it.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this food mill, November 22, 2009
This review is from: BabySteps Electric Food Mill - F900 (Baby Product)
I read the reviews on this product before purchasing it, and I have a few things to say about it (and hopefully this will help someone else who might be unsure)

First off, this food mill could not be more easy to use and clean. I make batches of baby food in it with pleasure and it comes apart without any struggle or tricky directions. There's three pieces that fall into place and they are all dishwasher safe, or easy to clean by hand.
Second, there have been many reviews regarding the way this mill is turned 'on' and 'off'. It's so simple, I have a hard time believing anyone could struggle with the use of this easy machine. You simply press the top down to start it, and then take the top off when you feel the food has been pureed to your liking.
Third, for those who have struggled to lock the top in place... You can't force it. You turn it gently until the small circular latches glide into place. If they don't slide in, then it's like trying to force something onto a threaded object. You just try again, or else you'll jam it and then have a real problem on your hands.

This product is super durable, easy to use, easy to clean, easy to pack for on-the-go... I cannot say enough positive thing about this food mill. The best you will get for the price. I highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful Product, May 27, 2010
This review is from: BabySteps Electric Food Mill - F900 (Baby Product)
We bought this product from Amazon, and so far we are very pleased with it. The product does what it is supposed to do. I would recommend it HIGHLY over a regular food processor or blender, for:

(1) It is much smaller and compact, making it easier to get started and store.
(2) It is SO MUCH easier to clean than a food processor or blender. The fact that the motor is on top and shielded by a tight fitting lid means it stays very clean. No food gets to it. The other parts are easy to clean.
(3) The Food Mill can be operated easily using only one hand, which might come handy sometime.
(4) The blended puree is smooth, more so than a regular blender or food processor, especially if you have only a small amount of food.

Something to pay attention to:

(a) The blade is VERY SHARP --- sharp like a scalpel. Do not touch it with your hand. I cut myself without even noticing it at first. Use a brush to clean the blade.

(b) Be careful when you make carrot puree. It will discolor the white plastic, and it is almost impossible to remove the color.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a wonderful product...., March 26, 2008
This review is from: BabySteps Electric Food Mill - F900 (Baby Product)
I bought this to help me make food for my twin girls because buying food for them was getting too expensive. I can give them more than bananas now. This food mill purees everything such as chicken, ham, veggies of all kinds, and fruit galore. I feel great giving my babies fesh food as opposed to just feeding them from a jar. Using a blender was difficult because it was too large and hard to clean. This food mill is easy to operate and clean. I love it and wish I can find someone to gift it to!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had gotten it sooner, June 17, 2011
This review is from: BabySteps Electric Food Mill - F900 (Baby Product)
I got this when my son was around 8 months old, when I decided that buying jarred baby food so often was too expensive. I wish I had gotten it sooner. It is easy to use, and easy to clean. Everything just goes in the dishwasher.

Works well for cooked veggies, fruit, and even cooked chicken. Just add a little water to adjust the puree thickness.

I am not much of a cook, and I still use some jarred baby food, but this is really handy. The capacity makes about 4 portions that I can freeze. I end up using it once a week or so - I do several different batches. I didn't want to invest in a more robust appliance that I wouldn't use much in the future, so the price point of this has made me feel like I already got my money's worth. I still use it and my son is almost 11 months. He is eating a combination of finger foods and chunkier foods, but he still likes to be spoonfed.

I definitely recommend this if you are thinking about making your own baby food sometimes, and don't want to spend a lot of money.

Note: the motor is really loud, and it scares my son. So I use it mostly when he is sleeping. I have even taken out to the garage (right beside the kitchen) to muffle the sound.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is great!, February 14, 2008
Supermimi5 (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BabySteps Electric Food Mill - F900 (Baby Product)
This food mill is fantastic - SUPER easy to use, clean and assemble. So far I've made some parsnips and carrots (cooked) for my 6 month old. I did need to add a quite a bit of water - as the puree was a bit thick/chunky for him. One thing to know - the top/motor part of the mill does not "lock" in, you just place it on top, push down, and the motor starts to run - couldn't be easier to use!

3.0 out of 5 stars not a mill, a chopper, August 23, 2009
This review is from: BabySteps Electric Food Mill - F900 (Baby Product)
This is not a food mill, it is more like a cheap/clunky version of a mini-cuisinart. It will not puree (especially not smaller amounts) so it has not been useful for baby food... yet. I'll be able to use it when my baby graduates from purees to finely chopped foods. But frankly I'd prefer to have a good mini-cuisinart for that job and Lowe's sells them for less than 40$. So, all told, a waste of money for me, though it may work fine for those who want things chopped.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great food processer, June 26, 2008
This review is from: BabySteps Electric Food Mill - F900 (Baby Product)
I bought a food processor from Babies R Us, but the piece that seals got loose and was chopped; also, I had to add water to mush fruits. Then I bought this KidCo food processor. I've had it for a month now, and I'm pleased with it. I can mush fruits and vegetables without adding any liquid, or just little. This food processor is much more powerful than the first one I had. I recommend it to anyone wanting to prepare fresh food for their baby.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth product, May 12, 2007
This review is from: BabySteps Electric Food Mill - F900 (Baby Product)
I have been very happy with this blender. I love that the top part holds the motor - it makes it so easy to pour out, clean and handle the blended food!

5.0 out of 5 stars great! Not just for baby food!, October 8, 2007
TS (New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BabySteps Electric Food Mill - F900 (Baby Product)
I was looking for a small food processing item to puree/chop fresh spices, vegetables, and fruits for smaller meal portions, that wouldn't take up much counter space, and where clean up would be a snap. This item is all of that!!! I use it daily to chop up/puree fresh vegetables, fruits, and spices to put in sauces, shakes, yogurt etc. It's the right size for small amounts of food, clean up is very easy, and it doesn't take up much counter space. I am still experimenting with it, but so far I love it.

BabySteps Electric Food Mill - F900