Published 19 months ago by HG5

1.0 out of 5 stars Harmful active ingredient despite the "all organic" claim
I bought this sunscreen for my two toddlers and I liked it.... until I read a report written by the EWG.

Published on July 14, 2012 by Laure A. Dejeant

1.0 out of 5 stars Harmful active ingredient despite the "all organic" claim, July 14, 2012
This review is from: Babyganics Mineral-Based Sunscreen SPF 50, 6 oz (Pack of 2), Packaging May Vary (Health and Beauty)

This sunscreen's main active ingredient is actually Octinoxate, which is harmful (see below the list of its effects on health (as described by EWG). There is NO way I am going to continue using this product on my children. After hours of research I am going to switch to Burnout, which main active ingredient is zinc oxide, a far safer substance (most of the baby sunscreens actually seem to be using that ingredient and not Octinoxate.)

I am really disappointed because I bought this product thinking that it was safe because it was organic, and I was misled. I am happy I did my homework and I thought other parents may find it useful.

Possible side effects of Octinoxate:
Developmental/reproductive toxicity, Endocrine disruption, Allergies/immunotoxicity, Persistence and bioaccumulation, Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive), Enhanced skin absorption, Biochemical or cellular level changes

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well. Good trade-off on active ingredients vs. SPF and water-resistance, May 13, 2013
HG5 (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
OK. So we've read tons of reviews and now tried over 15 "kids" and "sport" sunscreens trying to find one that (1) applies well (smoothly yet without running) (2) doesn't stink, (3) protects their skin without causing a rash, (4) doesn't stain clothes, (5) doesn't burn their eyes, (6) doesn't rub off or wash off as soon as they enter the water, (7) is more natural than not, and (8)doesn't cost a fortune (which really adds up when your toddlers want to do everything themselves and use 10x what is needed). Unfortunately, there is no such thing. No, really. If there is, please let us all know about it!

What BabyGanics does well:
(1) Applies well: yes, you have to rub it in a little because it's a true cream not a runny lotion, BUT it smooths on easily and doesn't run into their eyes.
(2) Doesn't stink (has the ever-so-slightest scent of, well, a cream. It's NOT fragrance or floral or lemongrass. For someone who wrote they want NO smell, that's just not realistic. Everything smells like something!)
(3) Protects well against the sun (no rash or dryness for us)
(4) Has not ruined any clothes (unlikeUp&Up Kids(Target storebrand) which permanently discolored several outfits)
(5) Stings eyes a tiny, tiny, tiny bit (the kids notice a small stinging in their eyes, squint/rub for 10 seconds then move on); it does NOT burn (Banana Boat "Kids" on the other hand has a great SPF 50 and is very water resistant but involved screaming, crying and a 2 minute cold-water-eye-wash at the nearest fountain - I'm not kidding - twice for them...and once for me (I wasn't screaming, but I was crying and needed an eye-wash to make it go away)).
(6) Seems pretty water resistant (it's rated water resistant for 80 minutes; seems to work about 30 minutes in a pool/ocean and 60 minutes in a sprinkler)

Could be better (but still better than many):
(7) Is a good value compared to other Baby products for what it does well, but more expensive than many non-baby, non-organic sunscreens

(6) Ok, yes, I see how the person thought the name meant it's all Organic, but the point is no PABA, sulfates, waxes or fragrances which is good. The active ingredients (Octinoxate, Zinc Oxide, Octisalate) aren't so different than some "non-organics" but a shorter list than others.

As for the critical reviewer saying Octinoxate is scary stuff, it's in many sunscreens, and the most common side effect (which isn't that common) is dry skin, while the potential (very very rare) side effects are precluded by comments that "as with any topical medication potential but very rare side effects are possible...). Even applying too much grapeseed oil which is 100% organic could potentially have side effects in a miniscule part of the population. Weigh those rare risks against not using an effective sunscreen.

FYI: The only active ingredient listed on my California Baby SPF 18 is Titanium Dioxide (doesn't sting their eyes at all...but only SPF 18 and moderate water resistance). On my Banana Boat Kids 50+ it's Titanium Dioxide, Homosalate, Octinoxate, AND Octinsalate (no wonder it burns their eyes). Banana Boat Sport is Avobenzene, Octinoxate, Octisalate, Octocrylene, Oxybenzone (wow). On Vanicream 35+ SPF for Sensitive Skin it's Octinoxate and Zinc Oxide (better)... you get the picture.

So what do we do? Maybe sounds a little complicated, but we fell into a pattern that works.
- We apply California Baby California Baby SPF 18 Everyday/Year-Round, 4.5Ounce every day at home on their face (supervised, but only because of cost, this stuff really doesn't sting their eyes at all).
- We apply (supervised) the less expensive ones (that tend to sting their eyes) for the body before heading outside to play (and wash our hands after applying)
- We let the kids freely use BabyGanics Babyganics Cover Up Baby On-the-go Sunscreen Moisturizing Lotion 50 SPF, 2-Ounce (Pack of 4)for re-applications face and body. The tubes are really convenient, and when the kids apply it themselves if it gets in their eyes it's not bad. Plus while it's not cheap it's not breaking the bank too much if they overdo it.
- And everyone wears hats and sunglasses to protect their face and eyes too. We taught them early and they mostly do it by themselves now. Hope that helps.

In a nutshell, this is a good kid sunscreen, but not the only one, for us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this sunscreen!, July 5, 2011
I have been searching for a paraben-free sunscreen for my daughter since last summer. The one I had been using (CVS brand, same ingrediants as Neutregena all-natural mineral) was so difficult to apply. It would never rub in properly. The babyganics one is amazing, spreads easily, and provides excellent protection. It also gets very high ratings from the cosmetic database, which rates based on the safety of various products. I highly recommend this sunscreen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great on Baby!, July 14, 2014
I went ahead and tried out 2 Babganics products: the Babyganics Pure Mineral Sunscreen Stick SPF 50 and the Babyganics Mineral-Based Sunscreen SPF 50 on Jace, who is 6.5 months in age. I found that these products apply well. For the cream you have to rub it in a little because it's a true cream not a runny lotion, BUT it smooths on easily and doesn't run into their eyes. For the stick you rub it on sort of as if it were deodorant. I love that neither of these products stink either. It has the ever-so-slightest scent of, well, a cream. It's NOT fragrance or floral or lemongrass. As far as the testing against the sun - well it seemed to work for us. We went to a little outdoor event over the weekend, applies the sunscreen and Jace didn't get sun burnt at all. We were only out for a couple hours, but either way, his skin appeared safe. We didn't find any sort of rashes or break outs after use either, which is obviously very important. As far as it being resistant to any water, we didn't go swimming with it, but did get caught in some rain and it didn't run or appear to come off. So I'm going to take a guess that it does pretty good with water - at least if you get caught in the rain you should still be fine.

Overall I found that both of these products are high quality and you do get the value for your dollar for sure. While the name on these products point to Organic, don't get it confused with it being all natural. The major point is that there is no PABA, sulfates, waxes or fragrances which is good. For those of you who don't know, the more "organic" you get the less the SPF and less water-resistant it is so consider the trade-off in a way. The active ingredients (Octinoxate, Zinc Oxide, Octisalate) aren't so different than some "non-organics" but a shorter list than others. While a lot of people are complaining that Octinoxate is scary stuff, it's in many sunscreens, and the most common side effect (which isn't that common) is dry skin, while the potential (very very rare) side effects are precluded by comments that "as with any topical medication potential but very rare side effects are possible). Even applying too much grapeseed oil which is 100% organic could potentially have side effects in a miniscule part of the population. Weigh those rare risks against not using an effective sunscreen is the point I'm getting at with this one. At the end of the day I like this product and can honestly say I would recommend it. I feel comfortable and safe using the product with my family.

1.0 out of 5 stars Chemical based, buyer beware, August 7, 2014
This is not a chemical free sunblock! I purchased this as it is described as 'mineral based.' Technically it is mineral based because it contains zinc oxide, but the other 2 active ingredients are chemicals which most people looking for mineral sunblock are attempting to avoid. Buyer be aware that the the active ingredients lists Octinoxate 7.5% and Octisalate 5.0% (in addition to the zinc oxide) True mineral based sunscreen should have the active ingredients of zinc oxide and/or titanium oxide and that's all. More info here for those who are interested: http://www.ewg.org/2014sunscreen/the-trouble-with-sunscreen-chemicals/
The product packaging is misleading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Sunscreen I have ever used!, July 19, 2014
ERIKA MESSER (Garrett, IN United States) - See all my reviews
For this promotion I received 2 types of Babyganics sunscreen to review - 1 tube of broad spectrum SPF 50+, 6 fl oz; and 1 pure mineral sunscreen stick SPF 50+. I have a 7 year old daughter and her skin is just like mine - fair. I can be out in the sun for 20 minutes and look like a lobster all over! It is not fun. My daughters skin is fair like mine but she doesn't burn as easily. But I am very careful with her anyways. So when I go outside we always have to use at least 50 SPF so this was great to review. The little stick is awesome to throw in my purse for anytime and unexpected occasions, and the tube I keep in my swimming bag because I am so forgetful. I have tried pretty much every brand of sunscreen through the years, even the Dollar Tree versions. And normally they always tell you to apply every hour - this one lasts 80 minutes even while swimming or sweating. Plus it is ALL natural. Has a nice sweet fresh smell to it, no extra fragrances like coconut or other stuff added. Plus it also has Natural Seed Oil which is there to help your skin while it is protecting it :) I liked that this product was tear-free - my daughter has sensory issues around her head area so putting stuff on her face is quite a feat in and of itself. So knowing that just in case I got some in her eyes it wouldn't hurt was a plus for me!

I love that it contains all the minerals instead of fillers and other crap that your skin doesn't need. And no DEET - another plus. So the first time we went to the pool after receiving this I tried the large tube. It went on easily and smelled great. We got into the water and noticed right away that this stuff was good - the water literally rolled right off of us when we were above water. To me that is a sign of a great sunscreen. We were only at the pool for an hour because my daughter tires quickly but we did NOT get so much as a slight redness :) So good for both of us! And I did notice when we got home that the normal sunscreen "icky" feeling was not there. Normally I have to come home and clean sunscreen off immediately because of the way it makes your skin feel.

I use my little stick whenever I go to ball games for my face and arms and it works great! It is just like a deodorant stick, you roll it up and swipe it over your skin and go! I love both these products and will definitely keep them on hand and recommend them to my friends and family! Babyganics sells all kinds of items, visit their website via the link at the top of the page to see all of them - including their spray sunscreen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product low on the scale of toxic ingredients!, December 20, 2013
I purchased this because it is low on the EWG beauty database for toxic ingredients. It is very important to me what goes on me and my family's skin so this purchase was a no brainer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective, long-lasting, March 30, 2012
This sunscreen is excellent. It is long-lasting and extremely effective. You can tell that it will work because once you apply it your skin tone will be somewhat whiter if you apply a lot. A little bit goes a long way, too. Great value, great sunscreen. No crap in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like it a lot, especially for our two year old, July 10, 2014
It might take just a little more rubbing to get this sunscreen rubbed in, however, this is our go-to sunscreen. After using another highly rated sunscreen for kids and my toddler developing a rash, we turned to this sunscreen. I have very sensitive skin which my son has inherited, and I tend to use this product too. When I used the normal sunscreens, I could feel it (like a very slight tingle), but I don't get any kind of reaction with this product. So far, I haven't had any issues with burning.

3.0 out of 5 stars I am always annoyed they've worked the word "ganics" into their name, July 8, 2014
When I look at the list of ingredients on their products, I am always annoyed they've worked the word "ganics" into their name. It feels like greenwashing, not legitimately green or toxin free. It works, but really, only moderately less bad than regular drugstore SPF if you ask me.