5.0 out of 5 stars Easy does it!
I prefer this hand sanitizer over one like Purell because it's easier on my hands. I have a 2-month old and go thru a lot of hand sanitizer!
Published 21 months ago by bostonreview

3.0 out of 5 stars Smells great...but not benzlkonium chloride free
I bought this product to use for hand santizing when interacting with infants. It smells great and santizes as indicated. However, it is *not* benzlkonium chloride free. Benzlkonium chloride may have safety issues.
Published 23 months ago by Mark Twain

3.0 out of 5 stars Smells great...but not benzlkonium chloride free, August 3, 2012
This review is from: Babyganics Alcohol Free Foaming Hand Sanitizer, Fragrance Free, 8.45-Fluid Ounce Bottles (Pack of 2), Packaging May Vary (Health and Beauty)

2.0 out of 5 stars Looked into it, here's what I found..., January 9, 2014
Bmommy (Midwest, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
After reading some frightening reviews here about the active ingredient being toxic, I went to the manufacturer's website to look for proof that their products are safe. When you check out the BabyGanics website, there are a lot of "warm and fuzzy" words making you feel like their products, developed by two dads, are super-safe. If you click on the link that says "Meet Our Trusted Advisors," you find one doctor listed. I didn't find anything on the website that made me forget about the reviews siting credible references that indicated the main ingredient (Benzalkonium Chloride 0.1%) is toxic. I Googled it myself in hopes of finding proof that it was safe to use. What I found is that benzalkonium chloride is also used as a processing aid on lettuce and carrots. It is approved by the FDA for that use. It's also used in many shampoos and cosmetics.

Our family has tried the BabyGanics hand sanitizer out for a couple weeks now, and we actually like the texture of it, and the way it doesn't tear your skin up by drying it out. Better than that, though, is that you don't pass out from the alcohol smell (no alcohol in it) or the fragrance (no fragrance in it). A family member is an asthmatic, and other hand sanitizers have caused problems before. It is a relief that we found one that doesn't bother him.

So our conclusion is that we are going to continue to use it, on a limited basis. We keep it in our vehicle for use on the road, and we are quite satisfied with it. Also, when we have "hospital days," where we are in doctor's offices and hospitals all day, we are happy to have BabyGanics with us to try to keep all the other germs away.

Reports have shown that soap and water are better than hand sanitizers, and that you should wash your hands for at least 24 seconds (long enough to sing Happy Birthday twice). You should wash ALL of your hands, in between fingers, and the fingernails as well. If you can't get to soap and water (hot water, by the way), then a hand sanitizer is better than nothing, and we think that the BabyGanics hand sanitizer is a good choice for us. Thanks for reading this review. I hope it helped someone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to work as promised, December 5, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am of two minds about this product. On the one hand, I think people overuse anti-microbial cleansers and as a society we are likely to pay for that in the long run. Further, other reviewers here have noted that the particular toxins in this product kill fish and may be mutagenic.

That said, we put it out at kids' birthday parties, as when you have dozens of young children running around, and eating food with their fingers, parents appreciate seeing it. And for those worried about allergic reactions, I can report only that nobody in my household has found this stuff to be at all irritating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy does it!, October 3, 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning: benzalkonium chloride is toxic!!!!!, September 4, 2011
I did a little bit research about this ingredient. It's very very toxic. Look for yourself below at the wiki safety summary.

ADBAC is highly toxic to fish (LC50 = 280 'g ai/L), very highly toxic to aquatic invertebrates (LC50 = 5.9 'g ai/L), moderately toxic to birds (LD50 = 136 mg/kg-bw), and slightly toxic to mammals (LD50 = 430 mg/kg-bw).[5] Benzalkonium chloride solutions of 10% or more are toxic to humans, causing irritation to the skin and mucosa, and death if taken internally.[6]

Several studies have identified allergic reactions to benzalkonium chloride by some individuals[7][8][9][10][11][12][13] but several studies have cast doubt on its reputation for other negative health effects.[14][15] It is still widely used in eyewashes, nasal sprays, hand and face washes, mouthwashes, spermicidal creams, and in various other cleaners, sanitizers, and disinfectants. Manufacturers of over-the-counter artificial tears and eye washes became concerned about chemical sensitivity from long-term daily use and have in some products substituted EDTA as a preservative. Some have packaged eye drops in single-use vials with no preservative[16] for sensitive eyes. There has also been concern that long-term use of benzalkonium as a preservative in nasal sprays may cause swelling of mucosa and lead to rhinitis medicamentosa. Although some studies have found no correlation between use of benzalkonium chloride in nasal sprays and rhinitis medicamentosa,[17] others have found benzalkonium chloride in oxymetazoline nasal spray to worsen rhinitis medicamentosa in healthy volunteers after both long-term use[18][19] and short-term use.[20]

Contact lens solutions typically contain 0.002% to 0.01% benzalkonium chloride.[21] K. C. Swan[22] found that repeated use of benzalkonium chloride at concentrations of 1:5000 (0.02%) or stronger can denature corneal protein and cause irreversible damage to the eye. Swan also found that 0.04% to 0.05% solutions of benzalkonium chloride can cause punctures of the corneal epithelium. The disadvantages of using benzalkonium chloride solutions with contact lenses are also discussed in the literature.[23] [24]

A disinfectant containing benzalkonium chloride and the related compound didecyldimethylammonium chloride (DDAC) has been identified as the most probable cause of birth defects and fertility problems in caged mice.[25]

A 2009 study has found that benzalkonium chloride, when used in less than lethal concentrations, resulted in an increased resistance to the disinfectant solution, and a 256-fold increase in resistance of the bacteria Pseudomonas aeruginosa to the ciprofloxacin antibiotic, even though the bacterial colonies had not been previously exposed to the antibiotic.[26]

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading...Not Organic at all!, March 14, 2012
E. Manacker (Los Angeles, Ca) - See all my reviews
The whole line of Babyganics is misleading using the term "ganics" making consumer think this product is "organic" or at least that they have "organic" components. Once I took a look at the ingredients I realized none of the ingredients in any of the products they make are "organic." Some ingredients may come from natural sources but you cannot ensure that those natural items have not been treated with chemicals or pesticides if they are not certified organic.
If you want real organic bath and body products check out any product at organicconsumer.org

5.0 out of 5 stars TOTAL SURPRISE!!, December 24, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Ok.. so i am totally and utterly surprised by this so far........ i hate hate hate using the anti bacterial pumps that are out there. A) alcohol killing the germs (which is the prime ingredeient in other brands) is like swatting a fly with a tank b) it dries out your skin and isnt good to it c) leaves residue so if you forget and are eating after it - be prepared to taste it!

this stuff is great. it foams - which i love. its not as runny as the other goop out there, it has NO smell AT ALL! NOTHING! It doesnt contain alcohol, and leaves no film on your hands either. Its a good size bottle of it and id rather pay the little more $$ to get this. In fact im going to buy some for my whole family.

please everyone, use it as needed tho and dont bathe in it and remember this doesnt replace soap. where i work (FDA) we see tons of reports and studies about how anti bacterial everything is related to an uptick in resistant strains of super bugs.
ill use this stuff after a gas pump, handling cash, or right before eating if theres no restroom.

GET IT. TRY IT. LOVE IT.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love foam hand sanitizers, but won't be buying more, December 3, 2013
Ed (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I bought a pack of foaming hand sanitizer from Costco a few years back and loved it. The foam made it really easy to use when compared to gels that would often slide right off of my children's hands. When I ran out, I kept my eye open at Costco for more but they never stocked it again. It never occurred to me to check the active ingredient of hand sanitizers, for whatever reason. I did a lot of research for sunblock, but I knew most sunblock had harmful chemicals. I now know that the active ingredient in the product I purchased at Costco, called HandClens, used Benzalkonium Chloride, at 0.13% concentration. The BabyGanics product also uses Benzalkonium Chloride, at 0.1% concentration.

Now, I really don't know whether or not to trust products that use Benzalkonium Chloride. There's just not enough evidence, one way or the other, to tell if it's safe for use in hand sanitizers. Like the chemicals used in sunblock, it's probably safer to go ahead and use the chemicals to protect yourself, than to be exposed to the sun, or germs in this case. However, I do seek safer alternatives whenever possible. And in the case of hand sanitizers, there does seem to be an alternative. I've used CleanWell products in the past in the form of a spray. The spray form seems to be the least efficient way to apply hand sanitizer, in my opinion, but the product itself doesn't have any harmful chemicals that I'm aware of. So, while the BabyGanics foaming hand sanitizer goes on well and probably does a good job at killing germs, I probably won't be buying more. That's just me, of course, and I'd encourage you to do your own research before making a decision.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good for this baby., October 9, 2013
My friend turned me on to this and I thought it would be more gentle, but I ended up being allergic to it. I gave my two bottles to my friend. She still uses it and likes it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Harmful chemical being use as the antimicrobial!!!, November 17, 2013
I can't believe this product comes from a company that claims to make organic and natural products for babies and kids. This product kills the bacteria using a chemical called Benzalkonium chloride 0.1%
There is evidence that benzalkonium chloride is an immune, skin, and respiratory toxicant, with laboratory tests hinting at mutative (carcinogenic) effects.
And it's being sold as an alternative to alcohol containing hand sanitizers for adults handling babies and for the use for kids.
I hope that one day these companies realize that we don't need anymore harmful chemicals in our bodies and they should be more transparent when using chemicals that harm the body.

Rate and Discover Movies