5.0 out of 5 stars Must read! Deeply personal and engaging message of hope
Published on October 26, 2012 by Tracy Herrick

3.0 out of 5 stars Just a little skeptical
Published on January 7, 2013 by William Henley

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read! Deeply personal and engaging message of hope, October 26, 2012
Babylon Confidential is an incredible story of hope that grabbed me by the heart strings almost from the first page. Moments of gut-wrenching loss, both in Claudia's childhood and adult life are described in such vivid detail that I couldn't help but cry. At other times, I just couldn't stop laughing. Most of her fans, like me, have already experienced Claudia's amazing talent for spinning a funny story, with her excellent sense of comedic timing and her flare for unique and sometimes shockingly creative analogies. This book has plenty of that.

It gives rare insight into the lives and personalities of people who are no longer with us, like Dodi Fayed, Gary Devore, Lana Clarkson and Jeff Conaway. It shows Hollywood life not just at its shiniest, but also at its darkest and, in some cases, scariest. One thing that Claudia Christian does not do in this book is gloss over or shy away from her own fallibility. She lives, she laughs, she cries out in pain, she loves deeply, she gets angry, she dreams big and she makes mistakes. She's brutally honest about all of it. She's real. That's why, when she's on the floor retching her guts out and hallucinating at the hands of her alcoholism, it's really hard to make that moral judgment so many of us are guilty of, especially with celebrities. Rather than dismiss her as some Hollywood addiction cliché, you're right there pulling for her to find some way, any way back out. I'll be honest. I wanted to punch her "monster" directly in the face. Then, just when you think all is lost, she finds the Sinclair Method. It saves her life and motivates her to spread the word in order to save others the years of struggle she had to endure.

Babylon Confidential, once you start reading it, is very difficult to put down, not just because it is well written, which it is, but because putting it down would be like walking away from a heart to heart conversation with a friend. It's a brave story about having hope, clinging to it in the bleakest, most excruciating moments, and ultimately wanting to share it with others. If you are a fan of Claudia's, if you're a fan of Babylon 5, if you have an addiction, if you know someone who has an addiction or if you just need to know that no matter how bad things get, there's still hope for you and for your life, read this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just a little skeptical, January 7, 2013
BABYLON CONFIDENTIAL is frankly not really the kind of book I usually read. I'm not into celebrity gossip or stories of addiction and recovery. However, I am a BABYLON 5 fan, and an admirer of Claudia Christian's performance as Susan Ivanova, so on that basis I was interested enough to pick up this book. Others who approach the book from the B5 angle should be warned that only a small portion of the book deals directly with BABYLON 5. I was a little worried picking up the book that I would be reading about how the B5 set was a snake-pit of behind-the-scenes hostility, or that Ms. Christian was already a troubled alcoholic while she was playing the staunch, straitlaced Ivanova. Neither was true, however. She indicates that B5 was generally a positive experience with good people, that she is proud of the show, and that her serious alcohol problems didn't develop until after the series ended.
As for the main part of the book dealing with Ms. Christian's personal life, it tells a spectacular story of her personal and career ups and downs, and her experiences with a lot of famous people (ones that even I, not a celebrity buff, recognize). Though I hate to sound disrespectful of Ms. Christian's veracity, I had to wonder just a little if all these things really happened, and if so, what they looked like from the viewpoint of the other people involved. My skepticism was also a bit roused by the latter part of the book in which she tells how her alcohol problem was brought under control by a drug-based treatment called the "Sinclair Method" (bit of irony for B5 fans-- "Sinclair" was also the name of B5's original lead character). I'm by no means expert on alcoholism or its treatment-- it's not a problem that has touched me personally-- but I have to wonder why I haven't heard more about an alcoholism treatment if it is as generally successful as reported here. This is not a dis-recommendation of the book, however. Read it yourself-- if you have an interest in Hollywood life, alcoholism or Claudia Christian and her career on and off B4-- and judge for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put it down, October 25, 2012
Michael H (Suwanee, GA USA) - See all my reviews
Received the book yesterday and sat down this morning to start reading it. I could not put it down .. made my breakfast and ate it while reading and then my lunch. Excellent read .. thank you Claudia!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Read - Highly Recommended!, October 26, 2012
Claudia has lived a life of significantly greater highs and lows than most of us ever dream about... much less experience. What is interesting is that the innumerable tragedies she suffered through would have broken and killed nearly all of us. Claudia not only managed to survive but thrive. Her story is one of the very few that appeals to men and women alike; to those who love and hate sci-fi; and to anyone who has faced serious challenges in life. To my astonishment, I was personally, deeply affected by her story and am a better person after reading it.

I cannot recommend 'Babylon Confidential' strongly enough and I am an exceptionally tough critic when it comes to autobiographies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book!, November 7, 2012
I'd been looking forward to reading this book for months. Claudia is one of the actresses I most admire. This book is a very intimate look at her life. She talks about her family, her career, her loves and most importantly her battle with alcoholism.

For me the part that touched me the most was when she discussed her descent into alcoholism. She talked about her "monster" the way it would always pull at her low self-esteem. It was interesting to see how her triggers were similar to my own. Claudia has been talking about the Sinclair Method for quite a while now but it wasn't until reading this book that I understood what that meant.

The need to keep drinking once you start is something that plagues alcoholics and something which over the years I've felt from time to time. The constant battle between periods of extended abstinence and then bouts of drinking binges that she talks about is something that I've seen time and time again in people with alcoholism. Often their friends ask how they can go back to drinking. The method in the book is a chemical, a pill that you take before you drink. Unlike other alcohol "cures" this treats the physical addiction; it works on reducing the cravings. It has an 80 percent success rate. It was fascinating to read Claudia's first-hand account of how after taking the pill before drinking the need to keep drinking after that first glass disappeared. It sounds like one of those things that is too good to be true. But considering how much money is made from the recovery industry I think it is probably not in their best interest to promote this method.

To me the latter half of the book talking about addiction and recovery really hit home. But I don't want to give the impression that the book is all about serious issues. Claudia is a very funny woman and this comes across in book. There are many funny stories of her experiences working on different shows (and some stories about the misogynistic tendencies of famous actors you will really shocked by)! as well as some very funny stories about experiences with fans.

Claudia is a woman who has experienced loss and suffering but also the life of the rich and famous. Throughout it all she has remained strong and independent. I'm not normally one to enjoy "celebrity autobiographies" but this book is so much more than that. I would very highly recommend this book to all her fans and to anyone, whether a fan or not, who has had their own battles with alcoholism or has a loved one who has.

5.0 out of 5 stars The end of the book is the most important part and is also a new begining., October 30, 2012
I could not put down this book and read it in record time, for me. While 90% of it is about an incredible life of success, failure and surprises in all aspects of her life the last 10% offers hope for those fighting the alcohol demon or know someone who is. It presents a viable, successful option for fighting alcoholism. It took guts to write this book. A must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for anyone whos family has been touched by alcoholism, October 25, 2012
T. Schulman (Staten Island NY USA) - See all my reviews
I just finished reading Claudia Christian's new book Babylon Confidential (it came today and took me 5 hours). In it Claudia shares her journey as an alcoholic and her eventual recovery after finding out about and using The Sinclair Method. The Sinclair Method is a non-abstinence based method that uses a medication called naltrexone. It has helped many people regain their lives back from the alcoholism.
As an adult child of an alcoholic I find this very interesting and wonder if this medication protocol would have been able to help my Mom. Please spread the word about The Sinclair Method if it helps one person reclaim their life from alcohol it's worth your time.
I am so thankful to Claudia for being brave enough to share her story.

5.0 out of 5 stars It only takes a little light..., December 3, 2012
I just finished reading Claudia Christian's "Babylon Confidential." I have to be honest, I found it difficult to read. Don't get me wrong, it is an excellent book! It is a raw, unflinching memoir that is filled with stories of pain, sorrow and heartache. At times I felt my chest tightened with emotion, and had to put the book down a couple of times to catch my breath. Ms. Christian also shares some smiles and laughter as she recalls happier scenes from her life and expansive career. This book is like an emotional Star Fury ride (B5 fans will know what I'm talking about, I think.) I never knew until I heard of this book about her struggle with alcohol addiction. Neither had I heard about the Sinclair Method. Having had some experience with 12-step recovery programs, and knowing that they are not right for everyone, I was intrigued. Ms. Christian presents her own very personal experiences with addiction and recovery and reveals how the Sinclair Method may be a viable alternative to traditional recovery programs for some addicts. Above all I was impacted by one line: "It only takes a little light to drive away a lot of darkness..."

5.0 out of 5 stars What you did not know., October 27, 2012
What you did not know about Claudia, is a lot. This is the most unflinching memoir I have ever seen. It is funny, heart felt, it will make you weep. And it will give you hope. If the demon you face is addiction, it will bring you what you need, help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy Moly!, October 26, 2012
When I first read all the blurbs about "compelling" and "roller coaster ride" I figured they were probably exaggerating just a bit, as blurbs typically do, but now having read the whole book I have to say the blurbs are pretty accurate! This book really is intense. I was sitting with my wife (who was reading a newspaper) and I was reading Babylon Confidential... every few pages I would blurt out "Oh my God! Oh my God!" It's just one thing after another! However, I am happy to report that all's well that ends well. If you're a fan of Babylon 5 (as I am) this book does include Claudia's experiencing as part of the cast and explains why she was not included in the final year. Just to be clear though, the book isn't exclusively about Babylon 5. That's only part of the story. It is about Claudia's life from her childhood to the present... her relationships and her struggle with alcohol addiction... and that is plenty for it to be about, believe me. Definitely a compelling roller coaster ride!