Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Format: PaperbackChange

VINE VOICEon May 10, 2011
I just love the Babymouse books. Each and every one I have ever read has had me laughing out loud. This latest addition has Babymouse entering the Science Fair. Of course, no event in the life of Babymouse is straight forward and smooth. Her new science teacher, Mr. Shelldon, has a unique affinity for slime mold, and places himself up with great scientific minds such as Galileo, Newton, and Curie. While Babymouse imagines herself discovering the next big scientific breakthrough.

A gift of a Jr. Microscope sends Babymouse to the local pond in search of amoebas. Or, what she refers to as "blobs". By the end, we are introduced to a new character called Squish Squish #1: Super Amoeba and new book series by the Holms. Always entertaining and fun, I recommend this along with all of the Babymouse books. I just want them to keep coming!
on June 16, 2012
My daughter is 9 and has been a big Babymouse fan for about 3 years now. We were reading at the library but bought a few since she kept wanting to reread & the library only lets you renew so many times. She has a learning disability & the graphic novels make it easier for her to read the stories but don't make her feel like she's reading a baby book. I love that they have offerings like Babymouse and Fashion Kitty (another series of graphic novels) that are a bit more girly (what she likes). I'd definitely recommend this & other Babymouse books.
on October 7, 2011
Many of the girls at my school love this series, so I will be adding the books from the series that the library doesn't already have. This book provides a light, fun read. There is a slight plot involving a science fair and the introduction of Squish, the amoeba. I did enjoy Babymouse's daydreaming, it reminded me of my own daydreaming tendencies, past and present. Overall, recommended for those who like the series.
on September 24, 2015
My review may be the odd one out among all the rest because I'm an adult who enjoys Babymouse books. Babymouse's adventures are colorful and imaginative; some of the references are a bit dated for a kids' series, but are presented in such a way that they would still be entertaining to young readers while tickling the fancy of adult readers. The series is also rooted in reality and really shows how a slightly awkward younger person (or mouse, I guess) will approach social, home or school situations. You can relate to them, either through memories of your own childhood or with your kids/nieces/nephews/grandchildren. Plus, Babymouse loves cupcakes - a mouse after my own heart!

This particular book also felt like it had a potentially sad undertone. Now, I'm probably reading waaaaay too far into a children's book, but bear with me for a moment and hear me out before deciding that I'm out of my mind. In Babymouse: Mad Scientist, you get to hear a lot from Babymouse's father when she brings up the science fair, and we see/hear more of him than ever before. In fact, I'm not even sure he says much at all in any of the other Babymouse books. Anyway, Mr. Babymouse (he doesn't have a name) tells Babymouse that she should take part in the science fair, and you eventually learn that he had the chance to become a scientist, but never did. This is never explained further, but he becomes quite involved in Babymouse's project: digging out his old microscope and test tubes from the attic, getting Babymouse her own junior microscope (because she broke her dad's), and getting Babymouse a book of easy science fair projects because she's such a klutz (see previous detail about her and the microscope). He pushes for her to do a project involving amoebas and says something about how Babymouse could possibly be the first scientist in the family.

Seems innocent enough, right? What I got out of Babymouse's father's significant involvement is that, for whatever reason, he never achieved his dream of becoming a scientist. Perhaps he wasn't good enough or rich enough to go to college. Maybe his desire to have a family did not mesh well with the life of a scientist and he had to choose his family over his career. Did he even want a family? Could it have been a "look what I could have been if you hadn't been born" matter? Basically, Mr. Babymouse is living vicariously through his child in order to accomplish something he never could. I doubt this was an intentional plot point, but it's still an interesting possible detail.

But, like I said, I could simply be reading between the lines far too much. However, please don't be discouraged from checking this volume out, no matter what age you are. It's still got a cute and fantastic story, the inclusion of green with the traditional hot pink, and the ending actually surprised me a bit, given how Babymouse's scholastic efforts usually turn out (sorry, don't want to spoil it). Plus, a new character is introduced who eventually got his very own book.
on December 2, 2013
The book and series are absolutely delightful. The digital version of both Babymouse books I purchased causes my Kindle Paperwhites to crash. Terribly frustrated and disappointed to be spending my own money to purchase these digital books for my students and not only to not have them work but to also crash the device.
on February 19, 2014
I would recommend it to anyone who likes comedy. And it has not too easy words nor too hard. Trust me get this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way it's a comic.
on February 26, 2013
My 12 year old got into these books a few years ago. She wanted to catch up on new books that have come out since so we purchased Mad Scientist. I was amazed at the number and difficulty level of the vocabulary words she came up with as part of her school reading assignment.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
My kids LOVE the Babymouse series. They were delighted to be able to read Babymouse on my Kindle although they were a little disappointed the entire series was not available for purchase. Does anyone know if they will all be available on the kindle soon?
on April 7, 2013
These are cute quick reads for my girls, too bad the AR levels are so low for them though. My girls have the whole set and can not wait for the next one to come out.
on March 24, 2013
Met the author at a reading celebration and these books are wonderful! Humorous and very entertaining. perfect for kids- Highly recommend!