Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now Tikes

Format: PaperbackChange

on January 23, 2006
What Dav Pilkey has given boys with Captain Underpants, Jennifer & Matthew Holm have given girls with a character that they will identify with. Just as Captain Underpants has great crossover appeal with boys and girls, so will Babymouse.

I could not stop reading Babymouse. The artwork is full of humor, life and movement. Babymouse lives a life any school kid will identify with. Getting up in the morning is hard. Finding your place in the social strata of school life results in angst and envy. P.E. is not for the faint of heart. Opening your locker is dangerous. Good friends are worth more than gold. Babymouse has an imagination that sweeps her away. After missing the school bus she has to walk to school. In her mind (and on the page) she is a pioneer on an arduous trail through the West. It reminded me of the flights of fantasy Calvin and Hobbes enjoyed.

I realize these books are pitched at elementary but the themes resonate through jr. high. If I was a jr. high librarian, I would have to get them for my collection.

I also love the fact that Babymouse is a reader. There are stacks of books in her room.

on August 6, 2006
I am a 4th Grader and I liked the part where Babymouse's locker attacked her and the Squid spit her out. This book was real good because it had funny pictures and the words were funny. I have never read a book like this before. I also like her stories because they have drama and action. I think only girls would like book becuse the main character is a girl and the book has lots of pink in it. My Mom also read the book and it made her laugh. One thing about Babymouse, she loves cupcakes like me.
on June 3, 2009
I will give anything that my daughter reads all the way to the end without stopping five stars. She is in Reading Recovery and shows little to no interest in books. She received this book for her 8th birthday. She read straight through this book, as well as the next four in the series. I will definitely keep buying Babymouse books.
on November 1, 2007
My eight-year-old daughter was a very reluctant reader who was having trouble with even the most basic words. We have a lot of books around the house and take several trips a week to the library. Babymouse was the first book to get her excited about reading. She read the first book to me, haltingly. She begged for the second. When we got it, I had to make dinner and she wanted to start right away, so she read it on her own, asking me loads of questions. She has now read all seven published Babymouse books and hardly needs any help anymore.

We love that Babymouse got her excited about reading. But we also love the books. Her 10-year-old sister and I wait hungrily to get our chances to read them. I love Babymouse's imagination and her love of books.
on January 19, 2008
My daughter loves graphic novels and Babymouse is her favorite. The reading material is challenging enough for her, but still interesting. Great for kids who love to read, but want to read something entertaining also.
on November 12, 2010
I love Babymouse for a zillion reasons (she's perfect for reluctant and voracious readers alike, she's spunky and entertaining, the pink and black books are adorable--I could go on!) but most all, I love Babymouse because finally there's a series of graphic books for GIRLS (although I see my six-year-old son reading his sister's Babymouse books!). Elementary kids are reading graphic novels like mad these days, and I'm so happy girls have a strong, relatable character in Babymouse. And did I mention Jenni Holm is the sweetest, kindest, funniest author I think I've ever met? It's easy to see why Babymouse is so adorable after meeting Jenni Holm!
on July 9, 2006
This is the first book in the Babymouse series. It is a comic book, and everything is black, white, and pink. Babymouse is a mouse, and she is in middle school. (The next part of my review tells what hapoens in the book, so if you haven't read it yet you might want to skip this review.)

In the book, Babymouse has daydreams about being Queen of the World. One day her locker gets stuck, and her friend Wilson the Weasel comes and helps her open it. He invites her to her house to watch a movie. Then at lunch her banana rolls off the table and under another table where Felicia, a girl that Babymouse wants to be friends with, is sitting. Babymouse crawls under the table and overhears Felicia telling her friends that she is having a sleepover.

Now Babymouse wants to be invited. One day Felicia forgets to do her book report so Babymouse lets her have hers so she'll get an invitation to the party. Babymouse goes to the party, but she's bored and she accidentally spills pink nail polish all over Felicia. Then she remembers Wilson so when Felicia makes her make the popcorn while they watch a boring movie, Babymouse gets mad and dumps the popcorn on Felicia's head. Then she leaves and goes to Wilson's house and realizes that her life isn't as boring as she thinks it is.

In the book, Babymouse often has daydreams and isn't paying attention to what's really happening. When she opens her locker, a monster eats her homework. When someone tells her to pass a note to the person behind her, she's a detective. Of course none of this really happens, but it does show it in the book the way Babymouse imagined it.

The books in this series are:

#1 Babymouse: Queen of the World!

#2 Babymouse: Our Hero

#3 Babymouse: Beach Babe

#4 Babymouse: Rock Star (coming soon)
on June 10, 2007
I wanted to look into this book because I hadn't really seen any of the graphic novels. My daughter is already an avid reader, so I didn't know if she "needed" a book like this. When I showed it to her, she thought it looked really funny. As anticipated, it didn't take her long to read it, but she said, "I want to read it again. I want to read it again right NOW!"

If your child is a reluctant reader, this comic book formatted novel might help her get inspired, and if she already reads everything in sight, like my daughter, she will probably love yet another way to process text on a page.
on October 24, 2006
My daughter received this book as a gift from her teacher, and wow, what a wonderful gift it is. If you're looking for a book to sit down and have your 6 -10 year old read to you, this one is perfect. It's displayed in an artistic comic-book style, not rigid sequential format, but lovely black and white inks and very clear and easy to read prose. Needless to say we've read books 1 and 3 and just purchased 2 and 4. Babymouse is a treasure!
on February 8, 2008
I'm a brand new Media Specialist at an Elemenary School and Babymouse flies off the shelves as soon as I put the books back. I read this one (and Babymouse Rockstar) the other day and feel in love with the character and the artwork. I agree that this has a very nice crossover appeal and it seems that Babymouse is a very approchable character for this age group.

Highly recommended. I am rooting for Babymouse and look forward to more of her adventures.