5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong with Katz's flap books
Take Karen Katz's fantastic illustrations, combine them with a simple lift-the-flap story, and you've got a set that should provide hours of fun for your baby.

Published on February 9, 2005 by Craig

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice books but flaps are weak
Published on May 16, 2010 by Love My Katie

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong with Katz's flap books, February 9, 2005
This review is from: Baby's Box of Fun: A Karen Katz Lift-the-Flap Gift Set: Where Is Baby's Bellybutton?; Where Is Baby's Mommy?: Toes, Ears, & Nose! (Board book)

This set includes 3 of her more popular titles. Belly Button and Toes both talk about different body parts, while the third book is a hide-and-seek game between Mommy and baby. The first 2 are useful in introducing children to names for their body parts, and all 3 will amuse even younger babies simply because of the drawings. Our 7-month-old is too young to grasp the concept of noses, tummies, etc., but she loves to pull the flaps and to make excited noises when she sees the illustrations of the babies.

You'd think that these might wear out their welcome quickly, but that hasn't been my personal experience. I've found that kids will continue going back to these ones over and over again. An inexpensive and worthwhile purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful books for babies & toddlers!, April 14, 2006
I began reading these books when my daughter was a baby, and now that she is 14 months old, she brings the books to me to read to her! She loves lifting the flaps to see what's concealed underneath, and when I ask her "Where's Baby's Nose, etc" , she's able to point to the different body parts. I think these books are not only entertaining but very educational, and I can't recommend them highly enough!

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice books but flaps are weak, May 16, 2010
The books were very sweet, colorful, cute and really does teach body parts. However, unlike other lift-the-flap books the flaps are glued on and not cutouts of the page like other books. My daughter is 15 months and immediately ripped several flaps off just lifting them up too roughly. I tried to glue them back but she just ripped them off again. This book is made for babies/toddlers but doesn't withstand their normal activity.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Karen Katz books, October 27, 2005
Karen Katz books are awesome! My daughter has had several of them since birth, and is now two, and picks them off the bookshelf to read almost everynight. By lifting the flaps, she really feels she is participating in the story. She's pretty gentle, and rougher kids may pull/rip the flaps. Note - the flaps seem to be bigger and sturdier - and the stories better - in the books both written AND illustrated by Karen Katz. LOVE her books!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Great books too cheaply made, February 7, 2010
My 16-month-old loves playing along with the story by lifting the flaps--but unlike with "Dear Zoo" (a highly recommended lift-the-flap book), in this set the flaps are simply glued on by a thin strip of the flap. Roughly once per read, he tugs too hard and pulls a flap out of the book. I certainly would have paid more for this set if it were properly made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it and will always hold a special place in our hearts., March 4, 2005
I got this for my son when he was just 14 months. He's now 18 months and still love the book. He always get excited whenever I showed him the books. He would right away sit on the loveseat and would even leave a space for me to sit at. He's very fascinated with the flaps. He just can't wait for the next page to come so he could see under the flaps. There's always a lot of giggles and smiles on his face on every turn of the page. We both love this. My husband would read this to him over and over while I clean up after dinner. This never flunk us. It keeps him entertained for hours. I am also glad I bought this for it helped develop my son's interest to books. This is one of the first set of books I bought for him. I believe this is one of his favorites. He just can't let go of Katz' creations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Colorful book baby loves it, December 21, 2009
Pro:
bright color
the drawings are so pretty
baby faces are attractive and there are so many different baby faces with different hair color. (I'm so glad to see black hair baby in this book!)
interactive
even 2 month old loves to read it 'Every time when she sees this book, there will be BIG smile on her face!)
mouth-water resistant (I tested because my baby loves this book so much that she even tries to taste the book with her mouth)

Suggest:
We love this book so much!!! I wish it a washable cloth book, the flap be different textures(softer) for baby to explore(with both her fingers and her mouth) if possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it so much, bought more for gifts!, October 26, 2005
K cubed (Tri-Valley, No. CA) - See all my reviews
The colorful, cute pictures (not to mention the flaps) capture the attention of my 13 month old son every time we open one of these books! When I first got the set I thought it appeared to be a bit "girly" (pink and flowery) but my son loves the bright colors and simple illustrations. The only issue I have is that my son is too rough with the flaps, so I've also encorporated the teaching of "gentle" as we read these books! Overall, great set and value for the $!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great books, October 21, 2005
EKB (State College, PA) - See all my reviews
This is a lovely set of books that is a great tool for learning body parts. Beware if your little one is still into chewing...The flaps are very tempting!

3.0 out of 5 stars Gender and race, July 12, 2006
Nic (Verona, WI USA) - See all my reviews
While I do like the story of these books, and my 1 year old daughter seems to enjoy the lifting the flaps task, the gender roles are pretty iron clad in these books (Mommy is dowdy and PTA-ish, Grandma bakes cookies and has low set wire rimmed glasses, Daddy is building a dog house). Also, very few nonwhite characters, excepting the belly button book. Also, my daughter was able to rip off the flaps of several pages. Just OK, I think.