5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed reply from company over infant feeding and DHA/ARA
MY QUESTION FOLLOWED BY THEIR REPLY - VERY GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE!!

Hey guys,
So we are trying to feed a new born as much breast milk as we can, however there is not enough to meet his nutritional needs.
Published on June 8, 2010 by David T. Johnson

1.0 out of 5 stars My two cents on this and every other "Organic" formula on the market
What's with EVERY "natural" and "organic" baby formula having so much GD Corn Syrup or Brown Rice sweetener? It killed me having to supplement my now 22 month old's feedings with formula. What killed me even more was knowing not ONE powdered formula existed that didn't continue 50 zillion ingredients, with Corn Syrup or Brown Rice Sweetener being one of...
Published 4 months ago by optipro

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed reply from company over infant feeding and DHA/ARA, June 8, 2010
David T. Johnson (Los Gatos, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baby's Only LactoRelief Toddler Formula - Powder - 12.7 oz - 6 pk (Health and Beauty)
MY QUESTION FOLLOWED BY THEIR REPLY - VERY GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE!!

Hey guys,
So a formula is in order as a supplement. With that, we are interested in your toddler formula, and it appears that since this meets the FDA Infant Formula Guidelines, that it should be safe, (and opinions on the Internet seem to feel the same way). However, our doctor says that it should not be used because of the higher amounts of calcium and phosphorous. He was also concerned about using the DHA/ARA supplement with concerns about the egg white process and that the proteins in egg whites are not good for an infant. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

THEIR ANSWER

Dear Dave,

Thank you for contacting Nature's One®. Firstly, you are correct in that our Baby's Only Organic® formulas meet the nutritional requirements of the FDA's Infant Formula Act. No dilution is needed for babies under 12 months of age. Please follow label mixing instructions.

Regarding the calcium and phosphorous content in Baby's Only Organic® formulas, calcium is an essential nutrient needed for bone health. The American Academy of Pediatrics Expert Panel for Nutrient Levels in Infant Formula has provided recommendations on the amount of calcium with the minimum per 100 Calories being 50 milligrams and the maximum being 140 milligrams per 100 Calories. Phosphorus is another important mineral for bone health. The Expert Panel has also recommended that the calcium to phosphorus ratio in an infant formula be no less than 1.1 or more than 2.0. Baby's Only Organic® falls within these ranges with our calcium at 135 milligrams per 100 Calories and a calcium to phosphorus ratio of 1.5.
Reference: Committee on Nutrition, Pediatric Nutrition Handbook, The American Academy of Pediatrics, 2009, pages 1245-1246.

The balance between calcium and phosphorus is most important for bone development. The calcium to phosphorus ratio in both Baby's Only Organic® formula and Enfamil NextStep is 1:5. Thus, Baby's Only Organic® formulas provide an appropriate ratio of calcium and phosphorus for toddlers and an appropriate overall quantity of calcium and phosphorus.

Regarding our Baby's Only Essentials® DHA/ARA supplement, The DHA utilized in our Baby's Only Essentials® DHA & ARA supplement is sourced from egg yolk phospholipids. You are probably aware that most often an egg allergy is caused by the egg white rather than the yolk. Additionally, it is the protein component of foods that usually elicit an allergic reaction. Because we use the phospholipids (not protein) from the egg yolk, there is only a very minute chance that an allergic response will ensue.

If your child has a history of allergies, we highly recommend that you consult your child's healthcare provider.

DHA is also found naturally in other foods, including oily fish like trout, sardines, tuna and salmon and the yolk of eggs. Dietary ARA is available from animal meats, dairy foods, eggs, peanuts and nori seaweed. As your child increases the variety of foods in her diet, you can include some of these foods in her diet. Other natural sources of DHA would include fish oil or fish oil supplements. Unfortunately, it is difficult to insure that these are free from mercury or other environmental toxins. But, also remember that these fatty acids can be formed from dietary linoleic and linolenic acids (nuts, seeds, grains legumes, vegetables and their cold-pressed oils). By including good sources of high quality fats in the diet, your child will easily be able to meet her specific needs

Most egg allergies are a result of ingestion of egg white; egg yolk allergies are rare.

Proteins are the component of foods that cause allergic reactions. Egg allergy is usually due to the proteins in the egg white. These protein allergens are: ovomucoid, ovalbumin, ovotransferrin; lysozyme, and ovomucin.

However, there can be a rare situation of egg yolk allergy. The literature to date usually associates egg yolk allergy to a reaction triggered by inhaled bird allergen, referred to as Bird-egg syndrome. This is a very rare syndrome.

Egg allergy can also be seasonal. Oak pollen, short and western ragweed and the goosefoot family of weeds may cross react with eggs when these pollens are in season.

The estimated point prevalence of egg allergy in children is 1.6% by 2.5 years of age. (1) Again, egg white is usually the cause of an egg allergy. Most children outgrow an allergy to eggs by 5 years of age.

(1) Eggesbo M, Botten G, Halvorsen R, Magnus P, "The prevalence of allergy to egg: a population-based study in young children," Allergy 56; 5:403

I hope this information is helpful to you. Thank you for your interest in Baby's Only Organic® formulas. Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Sincerely,

Lori
Nature's One Inc.
[...]
[...]
Toll Free [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Colic/acid reflux babies...try this!, May 4, 2010
HANDS DOWN the best formula on the market. Sadly, my breast milk dried up so I had to fine a formula. My poor son has so many GI, stomach, gas, crying, reflux, etc issues. We were on Alimentum for over a month. We even tried the ready to eat b/c I heard it was corn free. I also tried the hypoallergenic version by Enfamel. Nothing made him better.

After researching DHA/ARA...I found some scary things. Basically, it is made by using chemicals. There are some babies that have had a horrible reaction to this b/c of the toxins. You can google it. Anyway, I found this organic formula that didn't have it in it (you can buy DHA/ARA seperate made from eggs organically and no chemicals). I was nervous...b/c my son had so many issues...I didn't want to make it worse. But I tried it! Seriously, it has changed my son's life! He is a completely different baby! I no longer even give him acid reflux meds anymore...I mean of course it is still there...but that is how much better it is. My son has been on this since he was 6 weeks. I know it says toddler, but if you go to their site it is FDA approved for infants. They say toddler b/c they fully support breast feeding for the first year. It has the same cals, fats, nutrients, vit, minerals pretty much as the other leading brands...it's just organic...no DHA/ARA..and they don't use corn syrup. Seriously, try this formula!

5.0 out of 5 stars No More Colic, December 2, 2013
I tried all of the other baby formulas. This is the only one that works for my son. This formula is the difference between having a colicky baby that cries and screams in pain for hours every night, and a happy healthy baby who sleeps restfully. One of the other major brands lactos intolerant brands smelled and tasted rancid and bitter. When I called I was assured that it was not a bad batch, and yes it was supposed to taste like that, in fact they get calls about the smell and taste all the time. Other brands have corn syrup and soy in them which I don't want to feed my child. This one tastes and smells like sweet milk. It's great that it's organic, and tastes and smells better, but........

.....Most importantly, it works. It made the difference between having a screaming colicky baby and a happy healthy baby (and a sane and happy mommy). Thank you, Babys Only.

5.0 out of 5 stars We tell EVERYONE how much we love this formula, January 14, 2015
We love Baby's Only Organic Lactorelief formula! We tried the original organic formula but our LO had difficulty with bowel movements, working really hard for hard stools. Our doctor suggested switching formulas to a lactose free one. We didn't even consider any other brand as we love that Baby's Only is both organic and non-GMO. Our LO loves both versions, but now that he is on lactose-free, his BM's are normal. No more pained expression on his face and no more anxiety for us. Shipping was extremely fast, arriving before their expected date (helps that we are practically in the same state). People (doctors, friends, strangers) all say how healthy he looks, how well he is growing, and how alert he is. He is 3 months old and ahead on most evaluation charts. He has never been sick, and we attribute a lot to this great formula.

One trick we found that addresses an issue others mention. When mixing the formula, we mix it, then let it sit for a couple minutes while we change his diaper. This allows bubbles to subside and the formula seems to be creamier. It appears the formula needs a few minutes to absorb the water and become more like milk. If we do not let the mixed formula sit a few minutes, the nipple gets stopped up with the "grainy" formula; when it has time to absorb the water, there are no problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this formula, July 23, 2014
I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this formula. It has no corn syrup (glucose solids in most formulas come from corn syrup). When we switched the twins to this formula their bellies were much happier. I also use this brand's probiotics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Organic milk out there..my baby switched from Similac Soy, September 24, 2010
Our 9 month old originally was spitting up a lot. We had him 1st on Similac regular, then went to Similac Sensitive and finally to Similac Soy. The soy did the trick. He was on similiac soy for the past 6 months. When the Similac recall went through, my wife became disgusted with Similac and suggested we try a new brand. I was reluctant but did so anyway. We reminded ourselves that as babies get older, they become less fussy, less gassy and maybe they don't need SOY anymore if that's what they were used to. So I went to my local Whole Foods store and bought the Lactose Free Baby's only formula. AN instant hit !!!!! My son loves it ! Seriousely. He gobbles it down...all 6 oz in once shot. Before with the similac soy, he would have to take a break in between. My wife actually tasted the milk and said it is delicious compared to similac soy. Well, if adults like it, I am sure babies would too ! I am very happy thus far with our choice. We were going to get Natures Best, but read that the way they extract their DHA is not ideal. Glad I realized that. So far so good ! We always thought that our baby would be stuck with SOY formula...thank's to the similac recall and some good old fashioned parent intuition, we realized that is NOT the case. I am happy about that since SOY can cause some hormonal problems.....babies and adults alike. Thank you Baby's only for making an excellent product !

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loves it, November 25, 2013
This one of the only lactose-free toddler formulas that I could find. I like that it's organic and my son (16 months) loves it for his bedtime snack.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Product!!!, April 6, 2010
I can't believe I am the first to review this great product.

We have been using Earth's Best Organic Infant Formula with Iron, 25.75-Ounce Canister (which is also a great product) up until our little started showing signs of lactose intolerance. After consulting with the pediatrician, we started searching for a suitable alternative.

Whilst Soy formulas are being offered as the "lactose free" alternative by many, our first preference was "non-soy" alternative. We also wanted a natural & organic product, free of those nasty chemicals and ingredients. After a considerable amount of research and shopping around, we found this was the best choice out in the market that was both lactose free and natural/organic.

Our little one also took to this formula very well and doing a lot better on this formula.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great alternative to Soy, December 15, 2013
KEPH (Denver, CO) - See all my reviews
A great alternative to Soy! My fussy lactose intolerant baby boy took this bottle with pure joy after trying every other non-lactose option.

5.0 out of 5 stars No spit-up and baby likes it, November 13, 2013
This is the only brand that has worked for us, my baby loves it and she easily digests it with no stomach upset or spit up.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›