5.0 out of 5 stars Tasteful, solidly musical Bach on guitar
Published on August 12, 2010 by RICK RIEKERT

3.0 out of 5 stars Bach: Six Cello Suites For Guitar
This 2 CD set only contained 1 CD of the music that it was supposed to have. The other CD was something completely different and was neither Bach nor guitar music.
Published 16 months ago by Carl

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasteful, solidly musical Bach on guitar, August 12, 2010
This review is from: Bach: Six Cello Suites for Guitar (Audio CD)
When they first appeared these discs received favorable press reviews and rightly so. Wangenheim's transcriptions of the Bach cello suites are well suited to his instrument and his playing is virtuosic without being flashy. Tempi and ornamentation are well judged. I found the judicious use of a slight rubato appropriate and convincing. Wangenheim is successful in demonstrating the guitar's ability to outline the polyphonic structure of the music by filling out the implied harmonies using a rich palette of timbres. In Wangenheim's hands Bach's fast movements are rhythmically alive with flawlessly executed passagework. Slow movements such as the sarabandes are sensitively explored and given their full expressive weight. The recorded sound is good, though perhaps lacking the last ounce of crispness and clarity. All in all a very satisfying release at an excellent price.

4.0 out of 5 stars What you should know, April 26, 2011
This review is from: Bach: Six Cello Suites for Guitar (Audio CD)
Not so much a review, but something I feel people should know before they order: The pieces are transposed, i.e. most of them are played not in the key they were written.

This is neither good nor bad, just something customers should know. I'm listening right now and I get the feeling that this in fact helps bring the pieces clearly and brilliantly to the guitar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bach for the modern ear, January 27, 2013
This review is from: Bach: Six Cello Suites for Guitar (Audio CD)
I have always marvelled that music from centuries past still has relevance in the 21st century and something worthwhile to say. This music is no exception and I was intrigued by the idea of transcription from cello to guitar. As much as I enjoy the cello suites, I find that my ears cannot appreciate too much at a time so I quickly purchased this 2 cd set. Do not hesitate to try this CD, just sit back and let the music soak in, very relaxing and stress relieving. In my opinion, conversion to guitar works perfectly for the cello suites. I'm not qualified to judge the quality of guitar playing or how well the transcription was done, all I know is that my ears enjoyed it and it will be on my favorites list. I hope this issue persuades more people to explore the world of classical music, if so, then it has served its purpose well.

5.0 out of 5 stars The suites!!, April 23, 2011
This review is from: Bach: Six Cello Suites for Guitar (Audio CD)
I rally loved this versión of the Cello suites.
I recommend it to all lovers of this wonderful Bach work and to all lovers of classical guitar.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bach: Six Cello Suites For Guitar, July 1, 2013

Bach: Six Cello Suites for Guitar
Bach: Six Cello Suites for Guitar by J.S. Bach (Audio CD - 2007)