Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on August 12, 2012
Product arrived on time and in good condition. Locomotive and cars work as expected when added to existing layout (not using the track or the power pack that come with the set...but they may go around the Christmas tree in December). Quality and product design/execution are typical of Bachmann train sets. All-in-all a good deal and convenient way to purchase this set of cars.

[Edit 06/2014] Locomotive has "tires" that fail. Replacements are no longer available from Bachmann. Learn how to use Bullfrog Snot to fix this problem.
on January 21, 2013
Had to send the engine back for repair. Not really impressed with the quality stil waitingfor the return shipment from
on November 29, 2013
I bought this as a "first train" to run on a layout that was already almost built. It came the day after thanksgiving, and I was at first pleasantly surprised at the look of the train. Granted, it's a 4-4-0, and the prototype was a 4-6-0, but for $80 with some track and the power pack...

So, finished up enough of the layout to run my first train, and as soon as I applied power I hear a horrible shaking and grinding noise from the locomotive. I got it going a little faster and the shaking stopped a bit, but there was still a grinding noise. (I've been doing trains of all scales since I was a small child, and at my old home I had a garden layout with over 200 feet of track. I promise it was on the rails properly!) I thought maybe I could "break it in" ... but it only made it around the loop of track about 10 times before it died completely. When I touched the tender, it was hot enough to burn my hand.

Now, I know that this is a cheap set. But, Bachmann... ten minutes? Seriously? I know stuff happens,but this is ridiculous. Will be returning this to Amazon and getting a locomotive of higher quality.
on April 18, 2012
This is a really attractive little train set, which runs well on the track provided. I haven't yet tested it on other makes of track, but have no reason to believe that it will be any different. One thing to bear in mind if you are in the UK like me, is that it is designed for USA electrical voltage and will need a converter to operate the controller here. Additionally it works on 16vAC not 12vDC as is usual in the UK.

The service from Amazon was superb - they took care of import regulations etc. and provided easy tracking from the US to UK, it arrived well before the given date.
VINE VOICEon July 23, 2011
If you liked the B&O, you're sure to love this beauty... and even if you know nothing about the B&O... well, take a look at it... beautiful, isn't it? Don't worry that the tiny locomotive with the motor in the tender won't pull the three cars... it will easily pull them. These are small... remember 19th Century trains were small. This might become your favorite N scale train! Don't worry that it won't stay on the track as long as you run it at realistic speeds. I'd bet that you'll be very happy with one of these and there's Bachmann's limited lifetime warranty. Go for it!
0Comment14 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2011
I'm very pleased with this train set. The N-scale is a good size if you don't have room for a huge layout and the Royal Blue is a beautiful train.
on February 14, 2012
Now I'm not a model train fanatic, I wanted something to add to a Christmas village that I purchased during the holidays(Did not get the Department 56 or Lemax due to space. I went with the houses sold at CVS stores. Much smaller) I thought about adding a train to the village. After I got the Bachmann Royal Blue. I was surprised at how small "N" gauge was. Anyway I set the train up to check it out and for about 15 minutes it was fine and then I started to see the tender was having a problem with staying on the track. I finally realized one of the wheels would come out of it's housing and I would pop it back in but it continued to come out . Also the rod on the left side of the train came off at the front of the locomotive(hard to explain). So instead of trying to fix it. I sent it back with a detail of the problem so hopefully Bachmann can check their quality control(a joke when it comes to Chinese made products)but at least I gave Bachmann an opportunity to check this out.

I'm not angry about this. Things happen. I thought the train was nice in the way it looked and I liked the train's detail. My biggest question is how good can a product so small work over the long haul by very nature of the size of it's parts. I'm simply amazed at that size. I can't even phantom "Z" gauge.

Bottom line I would give Bachmann a try again. I'm going to wait till next Christmas season. If another problem then I would scratch them off my list of companies to buy their products. I hope I was objective and helpful to others .
0Comment10 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2012
The train is smaller then expected and it takes more patience to assemble the tracks but with that said, my 10 year old son who is an avid train lover is in heaven. The train is the center piece with his HO set surrounding it. The train runs perfectly and the detail is amazing.
on January 21, 2014
The train arrived on time, just before Christmas. However, my excited 8 y.o. opened the box without me, and when we attempted to set up the train, I found that the wheels on the coal car had come off the carriage. Being N-scale, the wheels and springs for the suspension were pretty small, making it very difficult to reassemble. Then, once we were ready to fire it up, the train wouldn't run. The connection between the power cord and the track required some finessing to achieve a proper connection. The design of the plug/connector appears poor. It should be a simple snap-fit. Nice looking train, but fragile and difficult to repair.
on January 6, 2014
For a ready to go and very handsome start up train set, take a good look at the Bachmann Royal Blue. To begin or add to a collcetion, this set is it based on a real historical service and machinery. The set is very easily assembled and I had this from opening the box to running in less than 10 minutes. A real plus if you have a young enthusiastic child looking to get going.
Locomotive and cars were pristine and ran perfectly.