Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on January 7, 2013
Bachmann's use of the plastic "roadbed" gives the rail the look of the real version plus supports the track sections along their length and at the critical joints.
Many companys just use clips with no roadbed. the clips are there to conduct electricity not keep the tracks together.
The plastic roadbed keeps the track together so the clips can stay connected.
HEADS-UP: the clips and rails are SMALL! It is N gauge after all! I had to use my reading glasses to make sure I had the clips and rails aligned and it still needed a push "here" or a "tweek" there to get the joints joined. The instruction sheet covered it very well. The object is to have the rail ends inside the clips, not one end on top of the clip or beside the clip.
After the track is together it's time to run the little train. A pleasant surprise there! The engine started and ran at a relatively low throttle setting. A cheaply made engine has internal parts that are so poorly finished that every thing grates and grinds together and will not start until the power pack is jacked way up ... then it just launches like a jet on a carrier. Not very realistic. The little "Southern Belle" was so well made that after one lap it was "broken in" and ran very smoothly.
Bachmann has a large selection of accessories if you want to expand so it is possible to have a rather large layout in a small space if you so desire.
One more tidbit: one of the curved tracks connects the power and is also a "re-railer". Use it to get those little tiny wheels on the track and be sure you have your reading glasses on! ... Mark
on March 11, 2012
wonderful product if you or your kids love trains but are not pro's with electric train. The rails are easy to put together, even if the younger kids shouldn't do it. The locomotive and the wagons have nice details and the power pack is easy to use. This item makes it possible for everyone to start a nice project that doesn't need much space or a box of tools. And as usual, Amazon's service and shipping are great!
on December 17, 2013
I read all the good reviews on this train set. Although, the individual units are very well detailed and each carriage have some heft to it. Hook up the tracks carefully aligning the pins and put the engine on the track, plug in the power supply to wall outlet. The red PWS indicator light came on and start ramp up the dial and train won't move; no activity at all... not even humming noise to let me know it's getting power. I disassemble the tracks and redo it again, same thing... no response when power on. Ah.... maybe I just got a lemon or bad one from factory but leaves bad taste in my mouth buying online from Amazon. I was hoping to save some money buying online vs local hobby shop which cost easily 40-50$ more.

Again, maybe I just got unlucky but I can't give it more than 1 star since it didn't even run out of the box. It looks very well constructed but what good is train set that don't run, right.
on January 19, 2013
Recived this trainset supper quickly and paid far less for it than any local hobby shop would charge. Very nice starter package for my 10 year old son
on September 6, 2014
We had some issues with this train. It looks great but does not run consistently. Seems like there are issues with the axles making contact with the track. We ended up returning this and purchasing a different brand.
on January 17, 2014
Bought this for my Grandson for Christmas and he just loves it. He took an interest in trains just this year. He is 9 years old and when he asked for an N guage train set, I was concerned, specially with the tracks. When he opened it up, he was so happy. When he put the track togeter it was a nice surprise on how easy the tracks clicked into on another. Very durable. We will build onto this set.
on December 27, 2013
Just receive this for myself as a Christmas gift and so far I am incredibly happy with it. The trains themselves are beautiful and have a nice amount of detail. The track is easy to assemble, but also of a good quality. The initial setup took no more than 10 minutes. The trains really well, even at low speeds. The top speed is pretty impressive and I haven't had a derailment yet. This is a great starter set!
on February 4, 2012
Its sure is great to get such a nice train set for such a great price love it. Ill continue to shop until I drop every day I review whats for sale. We need a lot more train sets in N scale on the market
on February 5, 2013
I ordered this for my grandson and it came promptly and the quality was as I expected. He was able to set it up himself.
on January 20, 2014
Very detailed set. Enough start-up track and accessories to check out an N Scale system for future expansion. Arrived when promised.