4.0 out of 5 stars For the money...
...this is not a bad HO set, really.

Published on December 10, 2010 by E. Ferguson

2.0 out of 5 stars Far too frustrating
Published 7 hours ago by Mike P.

4.0 out of 5 stars For the money..., December 10, 2010
This review is from: Bachmann Trains Chattanooga Ready - To - Run Ho Scale Train Set (Toy)
...this is not a bad HO set, really.

We found this locally last Christmas on sale, so we bought it to go under the Christmas tree. The track worked well on our shorter pile carpet. No issues of train wheels popping off, or derailments. The engine is just an 0-6-0, so maybe that is why some had issues, not really sure, I've never had the train derail or axles come out of the trucks. I set the set up a couple weeks ago in our basement on a piece of 4x4x5/8 flooring board I had left over, built a frame for it, put it on saw horses. I had to tighten a few of the slip on joints that go between the rails, but my almost 4yo son will go downstairs and (after I plug it in for him) run the train for 30min-1hr at a time. The included buildings should be glued with model cement. The signs, people, telephone poles and some of the other scene items are detailed decently for HO and the cost of the set, but really, if you are serious about building a layout with this included in it, you will have to spend some time painting the people (they are all buff colored head to toe), painting signs, etc. I may take the time when I have nothing better to do this winter.

The controller DOES have an accessory power tap, so you could run lit buildings, street lights, etc. Also, you will need to clean the track and locomotive wheels occasionally to keep it running at it's peak (any train requires this), and check the slip connections (small needle nose pliers, or just put a small dent in them with a small flat head screwdriver until they fit tight). The smoke liquid requires heat to work, the heat comes from the drive motor as best I can tell, so really it makes perfect sense that you have to run it at 80-100% for a few minutes for it to get going. Once it does start generating smoke, you can back the speed down to 65-70% and still get a small steady output.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!!!, September 20, 2008
This is a cool toy!! It is fun to watch it go around its loop.BUT sometimes the wheels pop off.They are easy to put them back on and usaly stay on.Still it is a fun toy!.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chattanooga Woo Woo..., February 2, 2013
I have had this set for 3 years now, (not from Amazon, mind you, but Hobby Lobby) & aside frome the smoke being sporadic & one coupler being broken in the box, (replaced for less than 2 bucks @ a hobby show), have no complaints at all. The locomotive looks great & runs strong, my wheels have not "popped off", the structures (with a little paint & glue) hold together fine & look good...as for the figures, painting during the winter time is a fine diversion, in my opinion, much like tying flies for fishing. Mine stays up year 'round, love to watch it run & hear my Great-Niece refer to it (as well as the song), as "Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo..." She is a fan of the Colorado Railroad Museum & has seen a train or two...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Starter Set!, December 26, 2013
I just received this set and am having a little trouble understanding all the negative reviews. It was very easy to set up and I have not had any trouble with cars flying off tracks or wheels falling off, even at full speed. (One set of wheels had fallen off in the box; I simply snapped them back into place and that was the end of it.) Yes, the set is made of plastic, but it is hardly flimsy, and the locomotive is considerably heavy and more substantial than I was expecting. If you are at all careful about assembling the track, I honestly don't think you'll have any problems. The set comes with lots of little extras that are reasonably easy to put together and make the whole enterprise a lot more fun than if it merely included trains and tracks. I'm not sure what people were expecting for the price they paid for this set, but from my perspective it delivers everything it promises and is the perfect introduction to HO-scale training for a newcomer like me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked great for Christmas decorations, March 1, 2013
Bought this for a gift for going around the Christmas tree. Ran great the whole holiday season. Read issues of disconnecting as it ran, other issues, but we had no issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars He absolutely loved it. He said it was the best present ..., July 10, 2014
This was a Christmas present for my 8 year old nephew. He absolutely loved it. He said it was the best present he has ever received.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tears Of Joy, February 10, 2014
My daughter has wanted a train for years. Finally bought this one as a reward for All A's for first semester. She was so happy, she cried. Thanks! Great price, great product, great shipping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Train set, December 31, 2013
My son always wanted a train for the Christmas Tree. I ordered this one and had it sent to him. He loved it and so did his children.

2.0 out of 5 stars Far too frustrating, December 27, 2014
After a couple of days watching and playing with my 6 year old granddaughter...this train, for us, is a bust. It works fine for what it is, and if you or a child are the type to just set it up once and let it run with all the cars attached, its great. However, I should have anticipated the derailings due to play (zombie attacks, etc) and once you knock the cars off the rails it is a royal PAIN to get the wheels realigned AND cars attached to each other. I had to lay with eye level on the tracks to get this done. Once on, they stay on fine. Once she derailed the cars, she quickly grew frustrated, moved on to something else. I had hoped the engine would attach itself to the cars when slowly 'bumped' together, Nope, had to lay in floor, lift the car to align the car couplers, then re-align the wheels...without decoupling. Once this is accomplished attaching more cars risked decoupling the ones that were done. Sadly this toy will likely collect dust for a while.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not too terrible, but the locomotive bottomed out on the re-railer ..., November 3, 2014
Not too terrible, but the locomotive bottomed out on the re-railer track section until I sanded it down. Six months later I bought some switches and track sections for a more interesting setup and the locomotive bottoms out on the crossing rails at the switch, derailing very often. So if you expect to get this starter set and add to it, you should definitely get something else. For a hundred bucks I expect a bit more.

Bachmann Trains Chattanooga Ready - To - Run Ho Scale Train Set