5.0 out of 5 stars Good Starter Set
This was a gift to my son and I have seen it running. The track system seems to work well and the train set performed as advertised. I like Bachmann products and this lived up to my expectations. A thumbs up, but not a small child's toy.
Published on January 11, 2011 by L. Johnson

3.0 out of 5 stars An acceptable train set.
I consider this merely an adequate train set. I purchased it to get an idea of the size of N scale locomotives and rolling stock, and I was debating between building an HO or N scale layout, and I've always used HO in the past. For that purpose, this set certainly satisfied my yearning to size up N scale.

The set comes packaged very neatly, and the power pack...
Published on July 18, 2012 by J. Szulecki

3.0 out of 5 stars An acceptable train set., July 18, 2012
This review is from: Bachmann Trains The Yard Boss Ready-to-Run N Scale Train Set (Toy)

The set comes packaged very neatly, and the power pack is quite clever compared with the HO sets I grew up with. It uses an external power pack "wall wart" that plugs into the throttle. While this would be useless for a layout, it is a great match for a portable train set like this, and it is important to keep in mind that this is a toy, really. The throttle unit has accessory connections, and plugs into a rerailer/power track via a flat connector. The connector is prone to coming loose without provocation. If you have power issues, check this connection. I've had this style of connector in the past on HO sets for Christmas tree use, and they exhibited similar issues, so this is not isolated to this set. The locomotive is a cute 0-6-0 locomotive, with reasonably good front and side detail. Despite the complaints of one reviewer as to the lack of wheels under the cab...an 0-6-0 should not have wheels there, and this is accurate to the prototype. The headlamp is not lighted. The motor sticks out the back of the cap, leaving an unsightly metal bulge. Really distracts from the otherwise decent realism. The tender is wired for power on the front wheel set, helping to avoid stalls. The locomotive runs reasonably well, and I was able to get it to climb mild inclines with all three cars and a few coins. Low speed operation is mixed...it doesn't start well, but it will run at low speed reasonably well if you decrease speed gradually. The cars consist of a boxcar (door does not open), gondola, and caboose. The detail on the cars is acceptable, other than the fixed boxcar door. The cars run a little noisy, although I suspect the EZ track might be partially to blame. It snapped together reasonably well, only one do-over was required. A circle is a little boring, so ideally they should update this to a slightly larger oval.

In summary...a decent toy with a few minor flaws. Those flaws are excusable at this excellent price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Starter Set, January 11, 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars yard boss train set, good so far, August 26, 2011
It's a nice little train.Still good so far, at least. Just received it today.However,my opinion will probably change in about a few weeks. It has a Santa Fe 0-6-0 no.3283,Southern Railway open hopperr no.352450,Green Bay And Western boxcar no.60, A.T.S.F caboose no.999628, a circle of e-z track,and the speed controller.The locomotive runs smoothly and the cars roll smoothly, too. Overall, a great train set with all you need to get started.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bachmanns N scale "YARD BOSS" starter set., January 30, 2013
I bought this set out of curiosity. The little 0-6-0 switcher suprised me as to how well it performed. Operationaly, it does well in switching.
It does not stall in turnouts. It takes tight curves well. My major concern was that the little slope back tender would derail backing up or pulling cars.
I was pleased that the 0-6-0 did all the yard duties well, without problems that I have had with HO locos. I love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars big little train set, January 6, 2012
I bought this train set to replace an "N" guage Bachman set I purchased many years ago and find it to be every bit as good a product as the original.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great starter train, December 7, 2012
J. Roberts (New Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This came in quick and with no issues. This is a great starter set and good for kids or for people without room for a larger scale.

4.0 out of 5 stars Son loved it!, April 5, 2014
I ordered this as a Christmas and it was a big hit with my son. He loves trains and this is a great addition to his collection.
Worked great. Would recommend to anyone that loves trains.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is "The Boss", Alright!, January 19, 2014
My son absolutely adores this set that has everything you need to do a fun, quick train set-up. He's played with it everyday since Christmas morning.

2.0 out of 5 stars Did not work out of the box, January 8, 2014
As a Christmas present, a really excited little boy couldn't figure out why we had to box it back up. The engine would barley move and acted as if something was in a bind inside the motor. I was concerned for the HO scale being a little small for a 4 year old, but was a little ticked that it wouldn't work straight out of the packaging. Amazon was great as usual on accepting it back and providing a refund.

5.0 out of 5 stars N-Scale Train Set, December 17, 2013
Have not had time to set up our layout just yet....my grandson and I are collecting all the items we want and need. Your great processing and delivery are very much appreciated. Thank you.

Bachmann Trains The Yard Boss Ready-to-Run N Scale Train Set