5.0 out of 5 stars Great starter set - unless you are under the age of 8 years
The main reason for buying the Santa Fe Flyer train set was to get a christmas present for my "old man", who loves trains with the Santa Fe logo on it. To make him happy I decided to get a locomotive as well as a freight car with the Santa Fe logo on it and place both on a track in a nice display box.

Coincidentally, as I browsed through the toys section of my...
Published on November 2, 2007 by Marcus C. Zwicker

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Value
Published on December 28, 2009 by Ms. Tucker

5.0 out of 5 stars Great starter set - unless you are under the age of 8 years, November 2, 2007
This review is from: Bachmann Trains Santa Fe Flyer Ready-to-Run HO Scale Train Set (Toy)

Coincidentally, as I browsed through the toys section of my local supermarket, I ran into the Santa Fe Flyer train set from Bachmann. It comes with the needed Santa Fe locomotive as well as three freight cars. So instead of spending around 60 US$ (MSRP according to Bachmann's website) for the locomotive itself, I got away with only a portion of it.

Needless to say I had to try out the train set, even though the locomotive will be a display item only. After reading the posted reviews on Amazon I was frightened to do so, but got pleasantly surprised. The set comes with an easy to read, step by step manual. Putting together the so called E-Z track system was actually easy, even though it takes some patience to do so (it gets you a 36" circle). It also takes a little bit to get the locomotive and the freight cars onto the rails, but this is a very detailed toy in a small scale and not a Tonka truck. Power comes via the included speed controller, which is connected to the rails via plug-in wire (cannot be mixed up). The locomotive runs very smoothly, even at a slow speed. The knuckle couplers make adding cars to the locomotive/train an easy task. All in all, this set comes with all you need to get started and the items are of a very good quality.

On the package it recommends an age of 8 years or older. This is o.k. if your kid is patient enough to deal with something detailed and delicate like this. Otherwise you might have to help a little bit.

Considering the price of it (I paid only 30 US$), the set is a great deal. Especially if you want to find out if your kid is into model railroad as a hobby. And if not, use the set for yourself, buy additional equipment and turn your attic into a big HO scale train scene. ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best birthday present ever, August 13, 2009
A Kid's Review
I got this for my birthday, and I love it. It is so good - the track is good, the train is good, every thing is good. I am 11 years old. I think someone would need to be at least 10 to enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, and a lot of fun., November 20, 2008
I ordered the H0 Santa Fe Flyer Train Set from Creative Toys & Hobbies. I had a large collection of H0 engines and cars as a child. The tracks they have now are much more durable and adaptable. I was suprised that nothing was loose in the package. Everything came in great condition, and earlier than expected. No complaints.

For those of you considering ordering this for a child under the age of 10, keep in mind they should be supervised. H0 trains run on an electrical current. While durable, they are not intended to take a beating from children.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, December 28, 2009
I purchased this train for my 4 year old despite the bad reviews. The reason why I purchased it was because I knew what I was getting. A good quality train set would cost 3 to 4 times the amount I paid for this train set. Also this train has a recommended age for an older child so I knew I would need to closely supervise my son. Setting up the train was a pain but once we got the train going it was fine. Just to note the engine is very sturdy and the wheels are made out of metal but the rest of the trains, the hopper, gondola and caboose is made out of plastic. I feel this is a good starter set and I can slowly replace the rest of the train cars with higher quality cars. I also appreciate that I can plug in this set instead of constantly replacing the battery.

3.0 out of 5 stars It says it on the box, "Not recommended for children under 14 years of age", December 25, 2011
Schmedlock (SoCal, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Management Summary:
My train was not at all ready to run "out of the box". I am happy now, but I was ready to return it after about 1 hour of troubled use. I eventually settled down and troubleshot a few problems with the set and it is now running very reliably. The controller has fine control and locomotive runs very smoothly. It took me about three hours to fix the problems I found. 1 hour tearing my hair out, 2 hours fixing the problems.

Major Problems:
1) The cars would always decouple and/or derail when backing up. Some times they would decouple while running forward.
2) The train would "stick" on certain portions of the track at low speed, but not at high speed. Once it got stuck I had to use full throttle to get it moving again.
3) The couplers do not line up. You have to push them into alignment. They are difficult to decouple.
4) The train is difficult to line up on the track.

Solutions:
1) Every metal rail has sharp burrs sticking up on the ends where it was cut from the stock used to make it. I filed them smooth with a fine file, but level with the rest of the track face.
2) The caboose had 3 wheels that were not rotating freely, the hopper had two. I had to gently spread open the trucks until the wheels rolled freely. I used a tiny spot of light gun oil on each pivot point. 3 in 1 oil would probably work well.
3) The couplers appear to need a straight piece of track in order to self-couple. There is no straight track included in this set. I used my fingertip, or a pencil eraser to push from the "outside of the curve" side to keep them aligned. I have been lifting the cars in order to decouple them. A pencil tip, or straightened paperclip can be used to decouple them.
4) The train set comes with a "rerailer" section of track that is designed to realign the wheels back on the track if there is a minor misalignment. I set the locomotive on it as close as I can get and then gently roll it back and forth over this section then once it rolls free, I use the controller to drive it around the track a couple of times to make sure it is running smoothly. I then stop it beyond the rerailer and set the next car I want on the rerailer and run it back an forth across it. I couple it to the locomotive. Repeat.

Details:
My train set was securely packed and undamaged. The packaging is a little daunting as the locomotive and rolling stock have some very fragile details on them. They are held in-place within a vacuum molded plastic that took a few minutes to figure out. Just push up or down on the cavity that holds the piece and then gently lift them out one at a time.

The rails are tied in very securely with something I find annoying, twisted plastic-wrapped stiff wire. Pliers are very useful in order to untwist it, or cut it if you don't plan on repackaging them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great - but not for kids, January 21, 2010
Ameli Qvist (New York, NY, USA) - See all my reviews
My husband and I bought this trainset for his Grandmother who has always wanted a "real" trainsset. She is obviously not a fanatic who needs state of the art stuff, just got happy seeing it going round and round, and this train was perfect. The track was easy to put together for me, with good eye-sight and patience, but it was still a bit tricky. The only time it de-railed was when the rail was on the floor and I was walking around making the floor move a little.

I don't think this is a toy for kids at all, but it's a great buy if your looking for a basic train set for an older kid or a grown-up.

5.0 out of 5 stars a ton of fun, January 30, 2013
easy to set up - and a lot of fun. Its a 36" circle - but a great starter (and expanable) train set for a reasonable price - enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great starter., January 17, 2010
I am very pleased with this train set. It is well built and works flawlessly. It was very easy to setup and it runs quite smoothly. The engine feels very solid and I am confident that it will last for some time. A very good starter kit. The track included is simply a small circle, so I highly recommend buying Bachmann's starter track kit. Overall this is a great kit and my kids love it as much as I do.

Edit: After 2 years of ownership!
I still LOVE this little train set. I truly do not understand the other negative reviews. I have NEVER had the wheels fall off when I wasn't doing something stupid (like accidentally knocking the car off the table), and then when I actually do have to put the wheels back on, it takes less than a second (literally). The track is super easy to assemble and the connection stays strong. I think the quality of this set is great, especially for the price. The engine may be a little loud for some people's taste, but for a starter kit, what do you expect? It's NOT going to sound the same as the engines that cost a few hundred dollars.
I still recommend getting the extra Bachmann track set. It's not too expensive and it allows you to really enjoy this train instead of just driving in a small circle. It also solves the problem that people are having with getting the train on the tracks. The extra track set includes 2 "re-railer" pieces that are designed to get the wheels aligned up and on the tracks. All you have to do is set the train down on the track, regardless of where the wheels line up, and run it back and forth with your hand a few times over the "re-railer" piece and, voila! The wheels are perfectly aligned and it is ready to roll! Takes 5 seconds to accomplish.
So, after 2 years of ownership, would I still recommend this set? Absolutely. I'm loving it, my kids are loving it, everyone that gets a chance to play with it loves it. As we speak, the freight car is loaded with my kids' lego figures driving them through the Christmas village! Good times.

1.0 out of 5 stars A total waste of money (and time), February 27, 2006
My son, who is 4, is extremely fond of trains. He recently received the Lionel Polar Express train set for Christmas and was totally overjoyed with it. Needless to say, he anxiously awaited the arrival of the Santa Fe train set, thinking that it would be just as wonderful. As we took the trains and tracks out of the box, the wheels, which are tiny, cheap and flimsy, fell off. Because they are so tiny, we almost could not find them because they had fallen out of the box and onto the floor. We set the tracks up and then attempted to set the trains on the tracks, which is extremely difficult to do. It's almost impossible to get the tiny little wheels to sit properly on the tracks unless you lie on the floor and actually place your face practically on the floor at the level of the tracks. We finally got it going and found that the trains constantly detach from each other. The trains are also cheap and flimsy. After approximately 3 days or so during which we spent more time re-connecting the trains and re-setting them on the track, we finally took everything apart and put it back in the box. Needless to say, this product was a disappointment. Definitely not recommended for anyone who is an avid train lover.

2.0 out of 5 stars birthday present, February 18, 2006
My daughter liked the fact she finally received a train ecspecially for her birthday, except it doesn't stay on the track long enough to count to ten.

Bachmann Trains Santa Fe Flyer Ready-to-Run HO Scale Train Set