5.0 out of 5 stars Bachmann EZ Track Pier Set - Wonderful!!
Published on February 6, 2012 by No More Muffin Top!

3.0 out of 5 stars works, but misleading.. you really need to buy two sets
Published 20 months ago by RPK

3.0 out of 5 stars works, but misleading.. you really need to buy two sets, February 12, 2013
This review is from: Bachmann Trains 14 PC. E-Z TRACK Graduated Pier Set (Toy)
There is good and bad with this kit. I appreciate that the folks with the 5 star reviews are happy and it seemed to work for them, so that is cool. But really to install these property and also get an appropriate grade for your train (around 3%, as some commentors have noted), you really need two sets of this kit. One whole one for your incline grade, and one for you descent. Bachmann should make it clear that if you install it as shown on the box, or just as their instructions say to do it, which is a pier at each track connection, you are going to end up with grade of a little over 5% if you are using standard 9" EZ track sections.. that's one pier for each connection over 7 sections of 9" track. for the 3 1/4 inch rise you gain with the tallest pier the math is 3.25 inches of rise divided by 63 inches of run = 5.16% grade (I learned that online from smarter model train people than me :)). that is too steep for most any train, and really not realistic at all. my train could only get up the hill alone or with one, maybe two cars attached before I started getting wheel spin. I ended up going to my hobby store and buying a second set and doubled the number of piers for my incline, shimming every other one under the pier with about a 1/4" piece of balsa wood to fill the gap that would be created by the incline. this gave me a grade just under 3% (2.77% by my math I learned above), and my train handles it very well. I like to run my train with around 7 cars or so, and the only feasable grade is 3% or less, which after I researched a bit is the consensus among experts as the steepest you want to go.

Do note that with doing that with this kit, it takes 13 sections of either 9" straight and/or 18" radius turn EZ track to make the incline to the top (I know there are 14 pieces in the set and I said only 13 sections of track, but you don't have to count the tallest one that is left over as part of your incline, hence 13 sections... you see what I did there :))... that is a long hill though, 117 inches or so, and if you do not have a lot of EZ track on hand, you will spend all of it going up just to come right back down. so plan accordingly.

All that said, I like my EZ track, because I do not use a permanent layout and like to pack my set up after a while and put it all away. So being able to break down my kits and put it all back in boxes and fit it all in a closet is nice, and these piers lend themselves very well to that type of model railroading. I also like to make various layouts and have the tracks overlap, which is relatively easy to make work with these kits. I bought a couple kits of Bachmann Trains 8 PC. E-Z TRACK Tall Pier Set so I could have an elevated loop that my train climbs to that overlaps a lower line. the piers did also go together and connect to the track very well, and make it easy to make changes, put together, and take apart quickly. If you are building a permanant layout however.. the better bet will likely be something like the Woodland Scenics WS 1415 Foam 3 Percent Incline Starter 6 Package. thanks for reading.. happy model railroading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bachmann EZ Track Pier Set - Wonderful!!, February 6, 2012
This review is from: Bachmann Trains 14 PC. E-Z TRACK Graduated Pier Set (Toy)
We just added the 14 pc pier set to our Bachmann EZ Track set and LOVE it!!! We are set up on thick carpet, and had no problem at all integrating the piers - our 8 and 5 year old helped assemble them, and the 8 year old helped put them under the track. The trick is to spread the piers out evenly through the elevations. This way the train has a gentle incline. The engine had no problem pulling four cars up and down the hill. If you are having trouble, make sure you haven't inclined too quickly while neglecting to support a connection between two track pieces - this will create a gap or jump in the track and will derail yor train. I was surprised how long a bridge we could make as well...it is possible to have over one whole piece of track without piers under it suspended between two that do - the track will dip a little as the train runs over it, but is steady and strong enough to take it. This is our first train set ever and this mom is very pleased - we made the figure 8 with the track running back under the bridge...and now we want to buy more piers because it made the track about 10 times more exciting for the kids! Thanks, Bachmann!

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Steep, January 23, 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Bachmann Trains 14 PC. E-Z TRACK Graduated Pier Set (Toy)
We purchased this to go with a new Bachmann trainset for Christmas. Unfortunately, the graduated rise isn't graduated enough. When mated with the Bachmann EZ track, it seems to climb too steeply too quickly. Some of the shortest pieces don't actually touch the table, they are lifted up by the next larger sizes. It seems clear that is a sign of too much lift too soon.

Worse, the steam engine that came with our train set (which looks very much like the one on the box) cannot make the climb with more than one of the cars attached and that car has to be one of the lightest. Anything else and it just spins its wheels.

Worse still, those trains with enough power to climb the track cannot keep their cars coupled consistently. The angle is so steep that the couplers in the leading cars lift up above the couplers in the trailing cars so you have random decoupling when going uphill.

Another problem is the solid base. It would really be nice to be able to run this straight over other track, straddling the track below, but the base is solid so it can only be used as a bridge across other track. That means you need to make sure your track design doesn't have an upper level connection too close to a lower level track. That's minor compared to the other issues but worth mentioning.

If I hadn't thrown away the box, I'd return it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh..., March 12, 2014
This review is from: Bachmann Trains 14 PC. E-Z TRACK Graduated Pier Set (Toy)
I don't know what we are doing wrong but the lowest pier transition is not smoth and we have all Bachmann products. We set the track up in a figure eight and it works fine everywhere but the lowest transitions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, February 18, 2014
This review is from: Bachmann Trains 14 PC. E-Z TRACK Graduated Pier Set (Toy)
Useful item to add to our setups. This item is a bit cheap feeling which was slightly surprising given the price. Still a good purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised, December 26, 2013
This review is from: Bachmann Trains 14 PC. E-Z TRACK Graduated Pier Set (Toy)
Works just fine and easy to put together once you see how the pieces fit together. Suggest the piers be placed under each of the track joints.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, September 6, 2013
This review is from: Bachmann Trains 14 PC. E-Z TRACK Graduated Pier Set (Toy)
Product is as good as described. Workmanship and quality are great would love to continue to add this product to my growing train system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Accessories for you HO train layout., March 8, 2013
This review is from: Bachmann Trains 14 PC. E-Z TRACK Graduated Pier Set (Toy)
Does a good job of raising the track high enough for another part of your layout to cross under it. Of course they work best if screwed down to a layout board. A gentle incline that you engine can clime. I recommend this for a nice addition to your layout.

5.0 out of 5 stars The 1 and 2 star reviewers must have been assembling it wrong, January 9, 2013
This review is from: Bachmann Trains 14 PC. E-Z TRACK Graduated Pier Set (Toy)
Like the other five star reviews, it does what it says and puts in a nice incline. Our crappy lifelike engine could make it up the incline just fine as could our bachmann train.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, January 2, 2013
This review is from: Bachmann Trains 14 PC. E-Z TRACK Graduated Pier Set (Toy)
Does just what it is supports to. You track to new heights trains pass below it with no trouble. Easy to assemble.

Bachmann Trains 14 PC. E-Z TRACK Graduated Pier Set