Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Back To Basics Apple And Potato Peeler
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lori Mckenna Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Showing 1-10 of 545 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on December 16, 2004
If you like apple crisp, pie, etc., this gadget is a MUST. I've been peeling, coring, and slicing apples by hand for years, but this takes all the hard work out of my favorite desserts. In seconds, the apple is all clean and ready to bake. Great for pears, too. I have a dehydrator and I've made dried pears and apples for Christmas gifts for people this year using this handy device. I even got my boyfriend to help me because it's so fun to use...and he never cooks!

All of the blades are replaceable, so there is nothing to every wear out. I'm assuming this is the cast iron version of the device. I can't vouch for the aluminum version. The cast iron model is like something my grandmother would have had...rare to find this kind of quality in a gadget these days. No plastic!
11 comment| 182 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2009
Kitchen Peeler Back-to-Basics Basics Apple & Potato Peeler / B0000DE2SS

I absolutely love mashed potatoes for dinner and apple pie for dessert, but I hate the peeling and preparation. I never feel comfortable with a conventional potato peeler, which leaves me using a paring knife and wasting a lot of time as well as a lot of the actual potato (or a lot of the apple, in the case of pies). Consequently, I had given up on proper mashed potatoes and was fixing mashed potatoes from store flakes, which is never as good. I was really skeptical about this peeler and figured it was probably too good to be true, but I went ahead and ordered it anyway on a 4-for-3 promotion. Wow! I wish I'd ordered this YEARS ago. I know this is going to be a long review, but I really want to break down ever detail of this wonderful peeler.

The peeler arrives in a box and takes about five minutes to set up - the instructions just need you to screw on the handle and the holding prong in place. Voila! The suction cup base works well on my marble countertop, when I remember to brush the surface of crumbs or other baking bits, but honestly the unit is sturdy enough that the unit doesn't move around even when I forget to clamp it in place with the clamping lever. The attachment that cores and slices the apple comes off easily (just a simple screw), which delighted me since I didn't need my potatoes cored and sliced. The spring-based peeler is flexible and adjusts easily to the size of the fruit/vegetable inserted. There is even a latch to allow the "arm" to move quickly and freely, for when you are done peeling and you don't want to "crank" backwards to return the arm to the starting position - just press the release lever and pull the arm out! Truly, this is the easiest kitchen appliance to operate, ever.

Now, for the specifics. Apples work wonderfully in this peeler. So far, we've peeled Pink Lady apples for snacking, and we've peeled, cored, and sliced (all within mere seconds!) Granny Smith apples for apple pies. The peeler economy is wonderful - an apple pie that used to require six apples now only needs four because so much apple is saved by this peeler. The slices are perfect for apple pie, and I plan to buy a dehydrator soon to dry the slices. I've posted a picture of one of our peeled Pink Lady apples.

I saw a lot of people online saying that potatoes don't work with this peeler, but I think they must have an older model of this Back-to-Basics peeler because my peeler works perfectly with potatoes, though I did notice that round potatoes (like Yukon Gold) peeled more easily than oblong or heavily pitted potatoes (like Russet). In the case of the heavy oblongs potatoes, the potato just needed a hand to brace against it and then everything was fine. I've posted a picture of our round Yukon Gold potatoes after being peeled - once again, I am astonished at how much of the vegetable is preserved by the peeler. I never considered that I'd save money with this peeler, but I am - a family that used to need five potatoes per evening now only needs three!

Cleanup is easy - I simply pick the unit up, rinse the blades under hot running water, and then pat dry with a towel. I have had no problems whatsoever with rusting. More germ conscious people can take the extra step of unscrewing the blades and washing by hands - the peeler is easy to disassemble. I could not be happier with my peeler and I would buy it again in a heartbeat!

~ Ana Mardoll
review image review image
44 comments| 179 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 3, 2005
... I've had one of these for years now, essential for handling apples in any amount .... the blade is still sharp, works like the day I bought it ..... so glad to see it's more widely available, I would hate to be without one .... makes a great gift for 'newbie' households.... You won't regret it ....
on December 20, 2005
I too have had one of these for years, and can't do without it. It saves about 20 minutes for every apple pie I make. Just rinse the apple and load with the core lined up with the mechanism. The suction cup really sticks the mechanism to the counter top, and the mechanism does its job with just a few spins of the crank. There is very little wasted apple when this thing is done peeling/coring/slicing. It leaves just a bit of skin at the very top and bottom of the apple, but I don't mind cutting that bit off the spiral and munching it (the apple comes out in one big spiral, like a slinky.) Cleanup is very easy too. Rarely, it needs a little hand-holding to start peeling a really huge apple, but then finishes just fine. The nieces and nephew all fight to use it. Now I'm buying one for sis (their mom.) Worth every penny!
on February 14, 2006
This is a great peeler. Cook's Illustrated rated it as the best mechanical peeler. I had a very similar looking one that I bought last year, but it wasn't as well made as the A505 and it didn't work as well.

That said, these merchants are a total ripoff. This thing does not weigh 15 pounds and I have no clue why they are charging so much for shipping. I bought mine through cooking dot com, for only a few dollars more and with free shipping.

Interestingly, it appears as though Williams Sonoma stores also sell this peeler, though it is repackaged with their name one it. It still has "Back to Basics" stamped on the base, though.
55 comments| 259 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 21, 2005
Just purchased this item. I truely don't know what I did before I got it. It takes about 7 minutes to peel enough apples for an entire pie. It does absolutely great peeling potatoes... especially the ones you skin your knuckles on with a conventional peeler.
on August 16, 2006
This gadget has got the be the coolest thing I have bought for my kitchen in years (and I buy A LOT of things for my kitchen)! We are getting ready to make apple butter for the first time (my husband misses his grandmother's homemade apple butter from PA) and I wasn't looking forward to peeling, coring, and cutting bushels of apples. I saw this and figured it was worth the money to save my sanity! We got it last night and grabbed a few apples to test out... it works PERFECTLY! Even the kids are able to use it with no problems. They were all sitting at the table with their own apple cut into a spiral in minutes. AMAZING! My husband is excited... now not only will he get his apple butter, but I will bake apple pies a lot more often!

***by the way... I got mine from amazon @ acehardware. Much cheaper price.
on November 17, 2003
I 've been using this apple peeler for about six years. It still works great and makes pies a breeze. Even easy enough for kids to use! Much more stable than the kind you have to clamp to the table.
on September 9, 2004
This item was a terric find! Its easy to use. Easy to clean.

Everyone in the house loves it! It takes just seconds to peel and core an apple. The kids just love it! Would recommend this item to anyone who loves apples.
on February 6, 2010
My Mother and Dad have had one of these for years - in the fall we pass it between families for our apple peeling - it makes fast work of peeling- now I bought one for my brother for Christmas and he loves it. I liked this brand the best because it is a little heavier than others I have looked it - I highly recommend this product.