Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Back To Basics Apple And Potato Peeler
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Showing 1-10 of 91 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on September 28, 2008
After using this to peel and core nearly 1 bushel of heirloom apples, I have to say I wish there were other machines designed to do this chore. The Back to Basics model worked fine with apples that were 2" in diameter or less, and had no lumps, bumps or imperfections on the surface. However, many of my apples weighed nearly 1 pound each and were too large to be peeled with this machine. Also, if there were any flaws on the surface of the apple, the blade gouged into the meat rather than just peeling the fruit. It works, but the limitations make it not as user-friendly as I would like.
77 comments|84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 28, 2007
This peeler is a great luxury item. I love how quickly it peels apples, and sure does cut down on wasted apple when I'm making pies, etc. My only complaint is that it does not suction properly to the counter surface. I always have to use my hand to secure it, and the other to crank the handle. I would definitely buy again, though!
on December 22, 2007
I have an apple tree in my backyard. This item is not for a person with more than ONE apple to peel at a time. Often, I make an apple salad for one person. It works well enough for that purpose. However, for the peeler to be held in place, the surface must be ABSOLUTELY smooth, even then the suction did not adhere throughout the entire procedure. I had to reset it, then finally hold it down with my other hand. I also placed a paper towel on the peeler, under the apple to catch the juice that drips down while the apple is being prepared. Hence 3 stars. After purchasing this little peeler, I also purchased an electric peeler that peels several apples at a time...to meet my demand for 'a peeler that handles many apples at a time.'
on November 16, 2008
Does a nice job of slicing, peeling and coring apples that are fairly evenly shaped all the way around. Not so good at all three operations when the apple is not evenly shaped. Had to remove them from the peeler and do them by hand....which were quite a few. Also need to continually check the alignment of the slicer/corer to make sure they were in line with the feed arm otherwise it can be easily bent out of shape. Haven't tried it yet with potatoes.
on March 11, 2014
The instructions are very fine print and difficult to read. They also are not clear as to how to assemble the parts. It was frustrating to say the least. Once assembled it does work exactly as described.
on February 24, 2014
As the other reviews stated this peeler takes alot of the apple/potato off with the skin, just wish there was a way to adjust that, for I am not really using it too much because it can be wasteful and if the potato or apple is big it will not be able to be sliced because it will not fit on properly to be peeled, so those are my two pet peeves with this peeler, but it can help save time.
VINE VOICEon January 11, 2012
I picked the least expensive apple peeler/corer I could find because I knew we wouldn't use it that frequently. I basically wanted it to process batches of apples for applesauce or apple pie, but knew it wouldn't see daily usage.

The suction cup base doesn't work very well, and I have never been able to get a good seal on our countertop. Granted I do have tile counters, but have also tried on our butcher block island, and it didn't stick either. I have to hold it down with one hand and crank it with another.

The other problem is how much of the apple meat the peeler takes. You can adjust the blade and the distance from the apple, but if it is far enough away to not cut into the meat, it doesn't take off all the peel. Conversely, if it is too close, it takes a good 1/4" of the apple meat off with the peel.

I can live with it taking a bit extra of the apple, especially when peeling a bunch of them, but it is a problem if you are worried about waste.

Besides the above problems, it removes the peel and core easily and quickly. It is so easy my 3 year old can turn the handle.
on June 7, 2015
This is not the Back to Basics peeler, slicer, and corer. I bought this one because my parents have the REAL one and it was fantastic. This one is similar but not as good quality. I worry about how long it will hold up. It works fine now for apples, potatoes, pears, and even plums. Just a warning to you all -- its not the one you think it is!!
on October 21, 2011
We have had our peeler for six or seven years and use it primarily for apples. This year it started skipping badly unless I hold extra pressure on the thread follower mechanism. It appears that the threads are wearing so the follower jumps out with the pressure of forcing the apple thru the cutters. It has been an excellent product and makes the job of peeling apples for applesauce a breeze so I expect that we will buy another one. I am very disappointed, however, that it has worn out so quickly.
on March 6, 2016
Bought this based on the America's Test Kitchen review. It has a serious problem peeling apples that are outside the supermarket size and shape - that is, most of the apples you'll get at an orchard, or varieties that are large, like orchard Cortlands, etc. I've been disappointed at how much I've had to go back and do by hand when making pies, applesauce, etc. Oh well, it does shorten the work time, but not nearly as much as I'd expected, based on the ATK review.