5.0 out of 5 stars SM600 Smoothie Maker
Very nice! Jar is glass and bigger than our last model. Powerful with lots of different settings.

Overall a great buy...even though it is more noisy than our last model.
Published on June 11, 2009 by K. L. Turley

1.0 out of 5 stars burned out on first use
Published on December 9, 2008 by G. Brown

1.0 out of 5 stars burned out on first use, December 9, 2008
G. Brown (Ellicott City, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back to Basics Chill Smoothie Makers (Kitchen)
We received this smoothie maker as a gift. It worked for one smoothie, then the motor burned out. The company is replacing it, but we will be afraid to use it, since customer service told us it is essential to use pulse first, make sure the container doesn't rock, and that "you can't blend it until you think it is done- there is a 3 minute limit on running the motor." Then it requires a five minute rest. The motor seems to be extremely sensitive. I said we have another blender that we can use freely, without worry. The woman told me "this isn't a high end product." I would call that an understatement!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, January 7, 2006
The motor burned out after only two uses.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheaply made, not worth the money! Buyer Beware!!, January 21, 2009
This review is from: Back to Basics Chill Smoothie Makers (Kitchen)
I bought this machine and made 4 batches of smoothies in a 2 week period and the motor died. I thought maybe I did something wrong, so I bought another and tried again...read all directions carefully, followed them to the "t"...died after only two batches. I was so disappointed, my kids and I LOVE making smoothies and loved the serving spout, so we returned it again, hoping maybe we could "baby" this one for a longer life. 3 batches. I give up. My $5 blender I got from Walgreens does better than this...we just liked the novelty of the serving spout. Do not buy, it is a complete piece of junk!!

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE!!! Burned out motor after one use, April 5, 2009
Laura A. Tomczak (Greendale, WI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back to Basics Chill Smoothie Makers (Kitchen)
I made one smoothie and the motor burned out. I had it on pulse and then the low setting and I could smell something burning. I let it rest for awhile and tried again when it just stopped. The motor burned out. It is total junk and don't recommend it. My last smoothie maker was a Back to Basics and lasted 3 years with a lot of use. It was the cheaper model and liked it much better.

2.0 out of 5 stars not so great, June 8, 2009
This smoothie blender was just OK. It was much bigger than I hoped and does not crush the ice well at all. Wish I had spent a little more and got a better blender.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shouldn't even get one star., July 5, 2008
Mary Ann (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back to Basics Chill Smoothie Makers (Kitchen)
Have used this machine for the first and last time. The unit we got is slow, doesn't "pulse", and the noise level is as uncomfortably loud as standing next to a jackhammer. I've never felt the need to write a review before but consumers need to be warned: do not buy this machine.

2.0 out of 5 stars Used it Alot, Wore it Out, February 3, 2009
This review is from: Back to Basics Chill Smoothie Makers (Kitchen)
I have an elaborate smoothie recipe using wheat germ; flaxseed meal; peanut butter; yogurt; tofu; 2 C frozen fruits, to name a few ingredients. Instructions with this for smoothie recipes in their book helped guide me on how to make a thicker smoothie. This machine did a great job with the challenging recipe I have. I made the smoothie more than once a week usually, sometimes three times or more. This machine did great. I wore it out in almost a year. The motor started smelling when I used it. I tried the pour spout on the front once - didn't like it. The pour spout of the jar could be better (different shape, maybe more pointed) in that my smoothie wanted to pour wide out of it so it was easy to miss the drinking vessel. The biggest con was cleaning and reassembling. The pour spout cap had to be removed to clean the threads. The blade assembly and ring had to be removed and cleaned all over. I had to put water in it before use to check for leaks once it was reassembled, and I often had to loosen and tighten a few times before it wouldn't leak water after being cleaned and reassembled. Dealing with the leaking was a hassle.

5.0 out of 5 stars SM600 Smoothie Maker, June 11, 2009

Overall a great buy...even though it is more noisy than our last model.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't imagine it only runs for 3 times..., December 3, 2010
I can't believe that this product only runs 3 times, then the motor with spinning parts and blades are broken (besides the blades, all is plastic made). Noise is also unacceptable compare to Magic Bullet. I bought this because the container of Magic Bullet are too small, and I was going to make baby food for my daughter.
Don't buy this product, you would definately disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fell Apart After 3 Days, February 22, 2011
I purchased the Back to Basics SM600 smoothie maker despite the bad reviews because I'd had the same model before, and while the previous one was very loud (as noted in other reviews), it was also durable - we made smoothies with it almost daily for three years before we had a problem (the spout cracked, which was probably my fault). Purchasing a new one was almost as cheap as replacing the spout of the old one, so buying a new one naturally seemed to make more sense. At first we were pleasantly surprised that the new one was quieter than our old one, but unfortunately, after about three mornings of making smoothies, the unit made a loud noise, and a retaining nut fell out of the bottom of it. When we picked up the base of the smoothie maker and turned it over to see what the problem was, you could hear a loose piece (or pieces) rattling around inside. We called the company, and they were surprised to hear that this model was still being sold, since it was discontinued several years ago. They will be sending us the newest model to replace this defective one, and so I have no complaints with the company, but STAY AWAY FROM THIS MODEL!!!

Back to Basics Chill Smoothie Makers