5.0 out of 5 stars The Skills Your Grandparents Had, But You Probably Don't
Until I checked this book out of the library, I had rarely given a thought to getting "back to basics," that is learning how to be more self-sufficient. After I read the book, I soon bought it, because it opened my eyes to the many ways that I am almost entirely dependent upon others for my basic needs. "Back to Basics" is a helpful guide for those who want to get away...
Published on July 27, 2008 by David Bennett

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good information, but unfocused (details)
This illustrated book has been published chiefly for those who are new to country living, and/or who have an interest in self-sufficiency and in retrieving some of the "lost arts" which are appurtenant to traditional country life. The information is mostly introductory and rudimentary... a good start for most folks new to these areas of interest.

I have lived...
Published on October 24, 2008 by Patrick W. Crabtree

‹ Previous | 1 2 327 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best of its kind, June 20, 2011
This review is from: Back to Basics: A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills, Third Edition (Hardcover)
This is a fantastic book. I liked the first edition, but this is totally updated. It has hundreds of projects with detailed instructions. You can build structures, farm, preserve, and much more. Also, it's written in a clear and friendly style and fun to read. The thousands of color photos add to the delight and value of the book. If back to basics is your thing, this is your book!

5.0 out of 5 stars NO Difference., June 15, 2011
I recommend this excellent book. The many shining reviews here are testaments to its continued readability and inspiration. I've found that the updated "Back to Basics" is the same, informative, manual I enjoyed in its first printing--only it's better because it's updated with relevant revisions. I feel I should mention that one reviewer's comment about a "superior" older version is incorrect. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but, in this case, the reviewer is suggesting that the previous printing of this text is somehow more preferable because it is a different version. The updated text is not--I repeat: NOT-- a different version. This edition contains the SAME information. Structurally, even the pages all virtually line up, with only nine additional pages in the revision.-- The reason being, of course, that certain subjects/topics have since acquired more to be said about them since 1997. (The sports section, for example.) Again, I highly recommend this work read. And, please, pay no mind to the error in judgment made by the aforementioned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to Basics, May 12, 2011
This is a well illustrated book and covers many topics concerning going back to the basics and utilizing nature in a economic friendly way. I will be able to use this information in several different ways.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST HAVE!!, May 8, 2011
This book needs to be right next to your bible. A must have. A lot of everything that you would need for survival. A necessity if your striving to be "off the grid" or just wanting to learn a new basic living skill. A reference book that could easily sit on your coffee table. Shipped on time. Perfect condition. Would order again.

5.0 out of 5 stars This way of life is not just for hippies any more, June 6, 2011
Back to Basics is a wonderful manual on how to live a life free of all the modern distractions. How many people want to return to a time when things were different: people felt good about working hard, living in close connection the the seasons, and worked with the environment instead of trying to conquer it? How many people have tried this way of life, but failed? Here, in one simple book, you have all the information you need to succeed.

The book includes how to choose land, build a house and out buildings, create energy, raise your own food, preserve foodstuff, crafts for the home, and a section on old time recreation. The writing is clear and instructions easy to follow. There are plenty of pictures to help you create your own bit of paradise.

As a child, I had an earlier version of this book. It was a big, heavy, hard cover book and I spent hours mulling over how different life use to be like. Life was so much more work, but in many ways easier. This book nurtured the simple thought that we could recapture some if not all of that life. Maybe if we adopted some of these ideas then we could find a place for ourselves in the world. If I had to choose just one, I would say this is the most influential book of my youth.

So, you can imagine my surprise to see this available for my Kindle. I thought, "This is a book about getting away from technology and living a life full of pre-electronic traditions. What's it doing as an e-book?"

My curiosity peaked, I downloaded this and started reading. I have to say, I LOVE it!

The book takes full advantage of the Kindle format. The pictures, and there are a lot of pictures, show up clearly on my Kindle 3. They are in colour when I read the book on my PC. Although, the huge number of pictures makes this book really slow to download. The index is interactive, the sections are easily navigable via the 5-way controller.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff, January 24, 2014
I had a lot of fun reading this. My dream is to live in a homemade house and grow everything and be all sustainable, but so far, I've done it all from my armchair (and planted veggies out on the patio.) But dang it, when the zombie apocalypse comes, I'll be ready now.

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic Survival Guide, January 10, 2012
Really a thorough guide if you are considering a return to the basic living lifestyle with traditional skills. Some sections are a bit off track or cover routine information, but it will help the reader that is looking for self-reliance and really just down home living on the farm.

This is a somewhat updated 3rd edition of this book but the illustrations do still look old (but they work). The book is broken down into six separate sections which allow the reader to pick the area of most interest. Each of those sections is really packed with information. I particularly like the section on "Energy from Wood, Water, Wind and Sun".

This is a lifestyle that is not for everybody but the book can be, at the very least, a "survival guide" if the situation ever comes about.

Patti

5.0 out of 5 stars All Around Good Book, July 21, 2011
This book is a great reference and provides some very simple examples of tackling basic tasks when one is a little farther out from what my wife calls civilization (which means the middle of any BIG city). Seriously, this is an excellent reference guide to doing many home/ranch/farm tasks. Many could be applicable to disaster preparedness in the BIG cities as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent education in all-around living., April 19, 2011
This is an unreal resource when it comes to 'going back'. It's not all 1800's stuff, either. It has modern building techniques, cooking, modern adaptations of all sorts of living away from the metro areas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, March 30, 2011
JAMES COOPER (OAKLAND, IL, US) - See all my reviews
Any one interested in how to get by without Chinamart needs this book, you may find it interesting just to read through it. You may find comfort in just having it on your book shelf.

‹ Previous | 1 2 327 | Next ›

Back to Basics: A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills, Third Edition
Back to Basics: A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills, Third Edition by Abigail R. Gehring (Hardcover - April 17, 2008)
$24.95 $16.44