Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Back Pages
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 47 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on July 26, 2011
Fantastic album and great interpretations of songs by Bob Dylan, Neil Young, James Taylor, Brian Wilson, Joni Mitchell, Buffalo Springfield & Mark Knopfler!

Special Guest: Mark Knopfler, Jeff Foskett & Van Dyke Parks!

That you can listen to over and over again.

Great for cruising along in the car on a long journey!

Thank you, America!!!

Axel
on July 28, 2011
As always Gerry and Dewey come through again. They have come up with a wide and varied group of songs and have made them their own. Dewey does an unbelievable job with Woodstock and Time of the Season and Gerry puts a new twist on more modern songs like Road Song and Til I Hear It From You. For me the best three songs are My Back Pages, which Dewey Bunnell sings so well and Crying In my Sleep, which shows the brilliant vocal range of Gerry Beckley and Sailing to Philadelphia showcases the harmonizing between the two that makes America great. As a fan, I would love to hear Gerry do a cover of Wonderwall by Oasis. Bottom line is every song is great. Buy this album!
on August 2, 2011
After a few months of waiting for this new release by America....it was well worth the wait! Gerry Beckley & Dewey Bunnell have really surprised a lot of people with this stunning collection of songs.

The tracks I enjoy the most are "A Road Song" (Fountains Of Wayne), "Caroline No" (Beach Boys),"Til I Hear It From You" (Gin Blossoms),"My Back Pages" (Bob Dylan). Every song is very good and anybody who really enjoys the music of AMERICA will not be disappointed.

AMERICA is currently on tour - check out their listing of upcoming concerts at: [...] and click on Live Shows (left side menu on the Home page).
on August 5, 2011
When I heard that America was going to release an album of cover songs, I was not too sure if it was a good idea. However, when I finally listened to it, I was pleasantly surprised. This is an excellent album. America's harmonies and style blend nicely with these classic songs. The only exception being Time Of The Season, which I am still not sure of. But the rest of the songs are great. I especially like Woodstock and Caroline No - OUTSTANDING performances. Highly recommended if you like America or folk-rock music!
on August 24, 2011
First things first: Anyone who has read my reviews of America know that I think they are terrific, underrated, and sadly, sometimes dismissed as a "light-weight" pop/rock group. Dewey Bunnell and Gerry Beckley, who have been performing together over 40 years, sound better than ever. I can imagine a conversation between Gerry and Dewey going something like this: "We've been doing mostly original songs for a long time now. Now, let's record the music by songwriters that we have always admired and respected, but with our signature vocals/arrangements".

The CD begins with (of all things)Paul Simon's "America"- here Dewey and Gerry actually alternate lead vocals, which provides for a totally clear,original rendition. There are lesser known cuts here, such as: "Someday We'll Know"; the outstanding, Jimmy Webb written, "Crying In My Sleep"; "A Road Song" penned by Fountain of Wayne's Adam Schlesinger,and Chris Collingwood. Mr. Schleslinger was so instrumental in assisting with America's last recording-"Here and Now", which is also superb.

Other songs worth noting:

"Caroline,No"- A beautiful Beach Boys song with beautiful vocals. Brian Wilson has stated that this version is superlative. On a another note, the late Carl Wilson recorded with America, and was friends with them.

"Sailing to Philadelphia"- Mark Knopfler-penned. How interesting that America would record a song about a piece of history relating to America, that is the United States of America.

"Time of the Season"-perhaps not dissimilar from the Zombies version. Still a great, unique, seminal rock song.

"Til I Hear It From You"- Marshall Crenshaw should be proud of Gerry's lead vocals.

"On the Way Home"- How ironic! When America released their first single, "Horse with No Name", many people erroneously thought that it was a Neil Young release. Here they are actually honoring the prolific Mr. Young!

James Taylor and other splendid songwriters are represented here. The closing cut, "My Back Pages" by Bob Dylan is more than an homage, it is honest, heartfelt, and demands than you listen to every poetic word.

To conclude: every song is fantastic, and goes to the core of who America is: a group that puts heart and emotion into every song, and that deserves the respect of every person who understands pop music. I recently saw them in concert, as I have for the past 40 years, and their live sound is fresh, clean. Dewey and Gerry, you WERE so much older then, and you ARE younger than that now.
on June 3, 2012
I've always liked America, though their later work not as much. I bought this CD primarily because it includes the New Radicals tune "Someday We'll Know." The song was also covered by Hall and Oates about 10 years ago with Todd Rundgren sharing lead vocals. Now, that is a record you've GOT to hear! Anyway, while America certainly nails the song on this CD I was happily surprised to find how excellent this entire CD is. The material selected is like a who's who of pop gems. America shines on this record. This is pure, no-hype, let's-do-it-for love America in all its harmonic glory. America treats these songs with the love and respect they deserve, putting their made by America stamp on them without dissolving the essence on the songs. For trivia buffs, this is possibly the only non-compilation CD in existence that includes Gregg Alexander and Marshall Crenshaw as credited songwriters.
on February 21, 2012
One of my jobs is to preview concerts coming to the Philadelphia area. I didn't even know that America had a new album until I researched the band for a local show. "Back Pages" refers to the included Bob Dylan song "My Back Pages," which America performs in a solemn, but outstanding manner. The rest of the album is made up of old songs by artists like James Taylor ("Something in the Way She Moves"), Joni Mitchell ("Woodstock") and Neil Young ("On the Way Home"). You may not know all of the songs, but if you like America's smooth, Southern California sound, you will really like this CD. As good as the band's Christmas album, if not better.
on January 6, 2013
America is my favorite band, and this is my favorite America album since the 1970s. I've been listening when I drive, and I remember... Christmas dinner with Mom, Dad, and sisters. My first guitar. Faces from high school. The streets of East Chicago, Indiana. Flipping through thousands of albums at the record store. Talking endlessly about music with my friends. Blisters on my fingers. Waking up at 3:00AM to practice guitar under the blankets as quietly as possible. Fantasizing that someday I could maybe strum and sing a song to a pretty girl. Strumming "Tin Man" to my mom singing - she has a beautiful voice. Playing "Horse With No Name" at my first performance. Mom and Dad dropping me off at college in 1976. Telling mom and dad at age 19 that I had decided to leave college to pursue a music career - they were naturally very concerned. Actually they were pissed! Fast forward through ten years in bands, back to college during the day, falling in love, finishing school, marrying, and raising a beautiful family - all with America music providing the beautiful, comforting background. Oh, and Mom and Dad became my band's biggest fans:) What a beautiful life I have been blessed with. What beautiful music Dan (in peace), Dewey, and Gerry have given this world.

America continues to perform 100 shows a year. I encourage music lovers of every age to give yourself and loved ones a special treat - go to an America concert, where purple rains on highways in the sky.
on July 29, 2011
In another time, when music had texture and depth and resonance, this collection by America would be heralded and played and replayed by everyone everywhere. Sadly, though, in our era of American "Idles" and Tailored Swiftees and pre-fab warblers, true artistry as evidenced here is only appreciated by an "elite" group of listeners whose ears are still soothed by a well crafted melody. The blessing here is that the wondrous song selection becomes a remarkable new entry in the America catalog...songs they did not compose which become their own. I could go on and on..but others have said it all...a great release that deserves wide recognition......the Fountains of Wayne contribution "Road Song" is pure America-na, with a great homage to a sister with golden hair in the last moments of the song. Simply great. BUY IT!!!
on July 31, 2011
I have listened to this CD about 10 times already. I am at the point where I am starting to skip around to the songs I like the most which is 10 out 12. The CD as a whole is very good listening. I really like "Sailing to Philadelphia". It's more of storytelling song but AMERICA does it beautifully. The music and the words seem to meld into each other. You have no idea your getting a quick history lesson. I was a little skeptical about AMERICA doing "Time of the Season". But I have to admit, this is well done by Gerry and Dewey. When listening to the CD, it's hard to believe these are songs written by other artists. The music you hear is strictly AMERICA. I didn't find it to be "somber" as one reviewer stated. I'm not sure if the reviewer was looking for something more from AMERICA? Gerry and Dewey and crew created an excellent "ridin' in the car" CD. My 24 year old daughter asked me what I was listening to while driving with me. I told her it was AMERICA and she was stunned that they had recorded a CD like this. She asked me why would they do that when they can write their own music? And I said ..."Cuz they can...and they do it well!". Needless to say, she liked the music she heard. If you like good music and a softer rock, then for $10! this CD is worth the purchase.

Georgiegrl