5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Advice, Easy-to-Read Format
This book is laying on the floor next to my bed. Why? I do the exercises every morning, and refer to the chapter to make sure I don't miss any. I do most of the exercises on the floor, so that's where the book lives. It is a part of my life now.
Published on June 7, 2000 by Richard Tyler

I bought this book sometime within the last year. My initial reaction, the authors did not wish to offend anyone suggesting alternative treatment. (I realize trying to convince an alternative treatment believer that a conventional peer reviewed treatment might be better is much like speaking to a religious fanatic.)

About three months ago my back went out...
Published on December 24, 2009 by D. W. Horne

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Advice, Easy-to-Read Format, June 7, 2000
This review is from: Back Pain Remedies For Dummies (Paperback)
I've suffered from low-grade back pain for years, and learned a lot from this book. I especially like the integrated mind-body approach, the solid, realistic information about the mechanics of the spine, and the practical advice for care and recovery.
I've spoken with a chiropractor and an MD about my back problems, and the advice they gave me is identical to the advice in this book -- and the book was far less expensive.
Unless you were injured, your back took years to get into its current condition, and it will take a while to improve. This book is a first-rate map of the road to recovery.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is the best defense against unneeded surgery., October 12, 1999
This review is from: Back Pain Remedies For Dummies (Paperback)
As an orthopaedic surgeon, I try everything possible to avoid surgery on back pain patients. This book outlines great strategies to deal with back pain in ways which don't involve surgery. Although operations have their place, every non-surgical option within reason should be explored first. This book is a well-written guide to that process and should be required reading for any patient contemplating surgery for back pain.

5.0 out of 5 stars A comprehensive, highly informed, and practical approach!, October 4, 1999
ldamis@cs.com (Orlando, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back Pain Remedies For Dummies (Paperback)
Drs. Sinel and Deardorff have done it again! Back Pain Remedies for Dummies is at the top of my recommended readings list for patients with back pain problems. Educating pain sufferers about the causes, treatments, and self-help options, this book puts you in charge of pain reduction and prevention. Each chapter is filled with useful information presented in a clear and interesting manner covering everything you need to know about back pain and its treatment. A must read for anyone who has ever been troubled by back pain or who wants to prevent such problems.
Louis F. Damis, Ph.D., ABPP; Fellow, American Academy of Clinical Health Psychology; Florida Hospital Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy-to-use, practical, and concise guide on back pain., September 30, 1999
This review is from: Back Pain Remedies For Dummies (Paperback)
When you or someone you love is suffering from back pain, you want to know you are making the best choices about treatment. With advances in modern medicine and alternative therapies, those choices are more plentiful than ever. Finally in a single source, this book offers clear, concise, and most importantly, accurate information that can be immediately put to use on managing back pain. Besides the usual explanations you would expect to find in a well done book on back pain, it also goes into such explanations as why some people with serious injuries experience little pain, while others with relatively minor injuries suffer far more. Other topics include up-to-date conservative non-invasive and invasive treatment, why exploratory surgery in NEVER appropriate, a suprisingly fair and well written chapter on chiropractic and back pain and an interesting chapter on how your thoughts and emotions effect your back pain. For the docs, if youv'e been looking for a better way to answer ALL, and I do mean ALL of those questions on sex and back pain, do what I did, just buy the book and make it available for your patient to read. I have over 1,000 health books in my library, but I must say after reading that chapter even I learned a few things or two. Overall I found it to be an invaluable guide for consumer and clinicians alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most helpful book on back pain I've ever read., September 29, 1999
This review is from: Back Pain Remedies For Dummies (Paperback)
Having had back problems for almost 15 years, I have read just about every book available. Back Pain for Dummies is by far the best. It delivers very practical and easy-to-understand advice and practices that helped me more than a dozen chiropractors ever did. This book should be in the waiting room for every back specialist in the country. If I ever get to meet this Dr. Sinel, I'm going to give him the biggest bear hug ever (keeping my back straight, lifting with my legs...)

3.0 out of 5 stars after seeing a physical therapist, I've learned this book is dated, December 24, 2009
D. W. Horne (5263 BS Vught, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back Pain Remedies For Dummies (Paperback)

About three months ago my back went out again. I'm 59, play piano and occasionally have to lift equipment as part of my work. This time I made an appointment with a physical therapist who turned out to be 31 years old and who stays up to date with the latest therapies. The exercises she has given me are nowhere to be found in this book. I am lifting free weights as well as using the weight\pulley machines found in your local gym.

What is even more interesting, I am occasionally stopped by the work out guys (the guys with overdeveloped muscles) and am told by them that those exercises are bad for my back. I have approached my therapist about this as well as have her explain her exercises to those same guys. She explains exactly the reasoning behind those exercises. (I do five different weight exercises at the gym every other day and five on the floor stretching exercises every morning at home.)

The bottom line is this, times have changed, more studies have been done and it would seem that aggressively exercising the back muscles is the current and latest approach. It's too bad this book has not been updated.

My advice for anyone with back problems, see a physical therapist (after seeing your family doctor), a therapist who either recently graduated or one who has kept up with the literature.

My two cents. Dave Horne

3.0 out of 5 stars Superficial: Broad not deep; also it ignores the neck, November 16, 2007
This review is from: Back Pain Remedies For Dummies (Paperback)
This books covers a lot of territory but I did not find it particularly helpful. It feels like it has a lot of filler material to get it to "book length", without focusing in on the most useful information. Also, it completely ignores the neck, apparently assuming that all problems are lower-back problems.

Save your money on Back Pain Remedies for Dummies or just check it out of the library and skim it; in my opinion it is not worth the space it takes up on my book shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it works., August 23, 2010
This review is from: Back Pain Remedies For Dummies (Paperback)
What you really want to know is: Do the stretching and strengthening exercise really work to help provide pain relief from lower back pain? Yes, they do.

That's probably enough of a review right there. If you want to know more, see that this book is rated 5 stars by nearly everyone.

I had a back injury last year that put me out of work for a month. This book told me more about how to help myself heal than the back institute that I went to via my Doctor's recommendation. It contains straight forward advice about recovering to a healthy back and how to maintain it. Well written and very informative. Can't say enough good things about this book.

Got back pain? Get the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most easily understood pain mgt books I've read, September 29, 1999
This review is from: Back Pain Remedies For Dummies (Paperback)
As far as pain mgt books go, usually they are overally verbose and ridden with medical jargon that makes it difficult to understand the reason you are reading the book in the first place...why does this hurt and how can I make it stop hurting? Back Pain for Dummies was so practical and to the point that just reading it made my back pain lessen. I highly rec this book to anyone who experiences back pain, especially if they are fed up with the pain associated with some doctor try to over-explain something that could be done in 10 words or less. Back Pain for dummies definately implements the K.I.S.S. method for understanding back pain. Keep it simple and make the #@*! pain go away.

3.0 out of 5 stars Back Pain Remedies for Dummies, December 5, 2010
This review is from: Back Pain Remedies For Dummies (Paperback)
Upon a recent visit to a pain management provider, it was recommended that I buy this book (at a very reasonable price) so I did. I received it in a timely manner and began reading it immediately. The chapters were set up logically and covered a wide range of subject matters, and as I am not one to read any book from front to back, I chose a chapter and just began.
First off, it covered the wide variety of choices out there for acute and chronic back pain suffering, and while it did not recommend one specific remedy for either an injury or a long term back problem, I was pleased to read that it did not press/suggest medications (OTC analgesics or narcotics) as a first choice.
The information was straightforward and very simply put, and while it tried to be humorous at times, it was a bit too simplistic for my professional taste. It was titled appropiately though, "...for Dummies" and while it was not insultingly infantile in its presentation of information, it was a bit too childlish in some of it explainations.
I did enjoy reading the explainations and have initiated their recommendations listed for exercises, and since many of the suggestions were similar to those I was working on during my physical therapy sessions, I have enjoyed the results of my efforts with progressive flexiblity.
I would recommend this book for those that have never been exposed to the medical/nursing world, but nor for those with any prior professional training or knowledge; the information was too simple and the explainations not as in-depth as I was hoping for.
All-in-all, a well-rounded book fiiled with a variety of first-step recommendations and suggestions to see professionals for those of us with a higher pain tolerance than others. The price range was well within range of anyone's pocketbook and Amazon's timely delivery of the product made it easy to get started right away, No Excuses!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Back Pain Remedies For Dummies
Back Pain Remedies For Dummies by Michael S. Sinel (Paperback - May 25, 1999)
$19.99 $15.30