4.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Rom-Com
Published on December 26, 2010 by ABQCathy

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste two hours of your life on this!!
Published on August 25, 2010 by Jersey Girl

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Rom-Com, December 26, 2010
This review is from: The Back-Up Plan [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
As a fan of romantic comedies, Jennifer Lopez, and Alex O'Loughlin, I loved this movie. Yes, it followed the typical plot structure and conventions of romantic comedies, but, so what? (Why aren't action movies, and other movies aimed at men, criticized for being even more formulaic than rom-coms? Only so-called "chick-flicks" are judged this harshly for following the structure of their genre.) I wasn't expecting a masterpiece that would sweep the awards shows. I was looking for some fun, heartwarming entertainment, and this movie delivers. Jennifer Lopez is wonderful at physical comedy, and we saw another side of Alex O'Loughlin. Having only seen him in intense, brooding roles, I was surprised at how well he delivered in a comedy. As a bonus, we also got to enjoy Tom Bosley in his final role, a bittersweet moment for his fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this Movie!, December 4, 2010
Jennifer A. (Atlantic Beach, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Back-Up Plan (DVD)
Even though critics weren't kind in their reviews of this film, I loved it - particularly the acting, which was authentic and superb. Alex O'Loughlin is a terrific leading man, and after seeing this film I was motivated to watch his "Moonlight" Series on DVD and start watching him on Hawaii 5-0. The only downside for me were the scenes in the support group, particularly the birthing scene. When I watch the film on DVD I skip through all scenes containing the support group. It's over-the-top stupid and offensive in my opinion and makes the difficulty of child birth seem like a joke. But the dog playing "Nuts" and the sweet romantic scenes make this film worth watching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alex O'Loughlin makes this movie, September 5, 2010
This review is from: The Back-Up Plan (DVD)
Very good fun. While Jennifer Lopez is the "star" of the movie, don't sell Alex O'Loughlin short. He REALLY makes this movie great! His reactions to the situation(s) is what truly makes this a great comedy. Looking forward to seeing more of him in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Charming and entertaining romantic comedy", December 28, 2010
Marilyn Shoemaker (Seattle, Washington) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Back-Up Plan (DVD)
Immediate chemistry between Jennifer Lopez and Alex O'Loughlin.

Zoe a single New Yorker decided that at her age with no husband in sight she would have a baby. What she didn't count on was meeting the handsome and sexy, Stan.....Mr. Right. On top of their whirl win romance they found out Zoe was expecting twins.

Like every romance ups and down and so many sweet moments.

In one scene, Zoe and Stan are at a friends home while she was giving birth in a pool and I almost split from laughing so hard.

Zoe coming to terms with the past and wanting Stan in her life was fun, yet emotional at times. A great cast of characters in this film and a dog with "no legs" on a cart, you'll fall in love with!

4.0 out of 5 stars "I'm not looking at your toes, I'm looking at your cervix.", December 24, 2011
This review is from: The Back-Up Plan (DVD)
I thought "The Back-Up Plan" was a fun romantic comedy, actually better than I expected. J-Lo (Zoe) was beautiful as always. Alex O'Loughlin (Stan) - a darn fine leading man. I'd take him even if he smelled like goat cheese.

There were some FUNNY parts - loved the Dad in the park and his sandbox son; stew eating at its most refined (I couldn't stop laughing over that); really nasty over-the-top birthing scenes kind of like a car wreck that you slow down to gawk at (I would not take anyone who is actually planning on getting pregnant especially of the male persuasion - this movie could be very effective birth control).

I loved Nuts, the little wheelchair-strapped dog. He was a riot - better than some of the human actors.

Melissa McCarthy was a lot overboard as Carol, the head of the single mother's group Zoe attends.

I also liked Linda Lavin as Zoe's grandmother. I hadn't seen her in anything in a while and she added a nice spark.

Were there some unbelievable parts? Well, yeah, quite a few. But this is a comedy not a documentary and bizarre is okay with me.

Also, it had a very nice soundtrack - some of the songs played in the movie aren't on the CD though.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste two hours of your life on this!!, August 25, 2010
This review is from: The Back-Up Plan [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Let me say first that I can't understand why people are so generous with stars in some reviews. Not just of this movie,but of any movie. Does "The Backup Plan" even deserve five stars from anyone? Would you compare this film with the likes of Casablanca,Gone With The Wind,Goodfellas or Taxi Driver? These are films that deserve four to five stars. But this trash? No!! I just wish people just didn't throw so many stars at movies that even at their best would merit a two and a half to three star earning.Anywho.
This movie is the basic romantic comedy to an extent. Boy meets girl-she at first doesn't like him-he in turn is smitten beyond belief. They run into each other..she wants to avoid him,he wants to date. Did I mention when they met that she had just gotten artificially inseminated?? Yeah she is single and supposedly hasn't met "the one" yet so she decided to be a parent all by herself. They go on first date and well do I need to go on? Jennifer's acting was horrible and she was always in full makeup-even when getting up in the morning. Her obvious fake eyelashes annoyed me. The guy love interest gets upset when he finds out she is pregnant and acts weird and basically shows all the signs that he is not okay with it. Yet even though he is apparently not wanting to go through with it,this is a movie so you know how it will end. One scene that annoyed me was when she drove out to his farm in the country and besides where she gets into an accident while pregnant-which is supposed to be funny??-she is inside his kitchen and spots a pot of chili and some fresh bread. She kinda looks for a spoon but never even opens a drawer. She just grabs a handful of bread slices and dips the whole thing into the pot-I am not kidding-and starts eating it like she hasn't eaten in weeks! She is shoving this into her mouth and chili is all over her hand and mouth and he walks in behind her with flowers. He sees this and doesn't ask what is wrong with her? No pregnant woman would act this way.I've been pregnant...we aren't starving pigs!!They play on this theme throughout her pregnancy and she is constantly eating. She is eating chicken in bed and attemps to make love with him but he is turned off by a piece of it in her hair. She moves back to her side and sees some chicken under the cover and eats it.Then the whole support group thing got on my nerves. The birth scene was ridiculous and unnecessary. All in all this was just one awful picture. Please avoid unless you want to waste two hours of your life!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Still my top choice for romantic comedy films, September 24, 2010
This review is from: The Back-Up Plan (DVD)
This movie showed how versatile Alex O'Loughlin can be. I love romantic comedy films and the characters were portrayed very well. If you are still a romantic at heart, watch this movie. I am a Moonlight fan so I hope to see Alex do more movies in the near future.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet family feel good movie...., December 27, 2010
This review is from: The Back-Up Plan (DVD)
I enjoyed this film...yes it can be considered predictable..silly..more of a movie made for TV..Yet I found it charming, fun, and a great escape from the normal routine of life for 90 minutes. Its a movie to just sit back..relax, laugh, and enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars if it weren't for Alex ......, October 26, 2011
A. Clark (Darien, CT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Back-Up Plan (DVD)
I have very mixed reactions to writing a review for this movie. I did enjoy it despite its flaws. Would I have watched/bought it without Alex O'Loughlin in it? Definitely not. It had some funny moments and some really awful ones (that birthing scene could have been funny, but it was a bit much - over-reacting or over-acting)?? Alex made a great, gorgeous leading man - he does THE best love scenes with those bedroom eyes OMG. He also showed his flair for comedy and was a great foil for J-Lo's neurotic character - oozing charm and patience. His scenes with the Dad of three kids playing in the park were really hilarious. J-Lo's leading men in these romantic comedies (like Ralph Fiennes in Maid in Manhattan) are always beautiful, charming and delightful actors - all of whom make her look good. This is a wonderful, feel-good movie to watch repeatedly every now and then - mostly to have the absolute indulgence of watching Alex on the big screen. I hope he gets more big-screen movie work in the very near future.

1.0 out of 5 stars Another miserable "heroine" in a romantic comedy..., April 7, 2011
Todd C. Spears (Valley Village, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Back-Up Plan (DVD)
I was slacked jawed after sitting through this entire movie. The basic premise was weak and more than a little far fetched - Jennifer Lopez's character decides she can't wait anymore for Mr. Right and wants a baby NOW! Then after her first try attempt at a sperm bank... she meets Mr. Right and the sparks fly. Turns out her first attempt was more than successful - she's pregnant with twins. Mr. Right decides he doesn't care that she's pregnant and pursues her anyway. (Insert requisite ups/downs/breakups/etc until the required happy ending.) On paper is doesn't look too horrible. So what's the problem?

The heroine has no redeeming qualities. None. She's whiny, neurotic, controlling and spends much of the time trying to push the hero away because of a childhood trauma. I don't see how any guy would want to be around her for long once they got past her looks.

One the other hand the male lead is beyond saintly. He's funny and charming. He runs a successful business and going back to school to improve himself. And willing to go into a new relationship with a woman who just got pregnant with twins (that aren't his). On top of this, he puts up with and embraces all her neurosis and keeps coming back for more as she pushes him away throughout the movie. I just could not suspend my disbelief that these two would want a relationship - any sort of relationship.

The Back-Up Plan [Blu-ray]
The Back-Up Plan [Blu-ray] by Alan Poul (Blu-ray - 2010)
$14.99 $8.99