Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Format: Audio CDChange

on April 13, 2010
The score to The Back-Up Plan is 34 songs of largely upbeat, bubbly music. Most of the movie's score involves strings, and has an overall happy suburban feel to it.

The tracks are in the same sequence that they appear in the film, and Amazon wisely omits the tracklisting since the song titles reveal what happens in the movie.

Songs that I can safely name without spoiling the film, like Community Garden, makes beautiful use of xylophones. My favorite song in the score is "Fire", although it's simply too short (41 songs). Which brings up my only real complaint about the score: many of the songs are only 30 seconds to a minute long. I prefer movie scores that can be listened to from start to finish, with songs that have the chance to build.

Overall, I think this is a great score by Stephen Trask. I think the pacing changes a bit too much, it's a bit hard to enjoy the entire score with so many short songs. Otherwise, this would be a nice addition to any film score aficionado's collection.
VINE VOICEon May 6, 2010
Jennifer Lopez returns to acting after her pregnancy in the actually very appropriate The Back-Up Plan. In the film Lopez plays a single 30 something woman who decides she will never meet the right guy, but with loneliness on her mind she wants to have a baby so she can say she does have a family. She gets artificially inseminated, but lo and behold she finds a guy she falls in love with.

We're walking into "romcom" territory here. I always state how easy it is for romantic comedy scores to fall into the "cheesy" category and just be swept up in saccharine melodies that make you want to slap yourself. I'm pleased to say that Trask didn't go that route. While the plot isn't original and doesn't leave that much room for extreme creativity I was pleased with Trask's approach.

The score is playful and the main theme flourishes in the first track titled "Daydream". What follows is pretty much familiar territory for anyone whose seen a romantic comedy before. The only problem with the score as a standalone release is the many many short tracks. The shortest being :13 seconds, but we have a plethora of the dreaded :20-:30 second tracks. I have seen the film and of course it works much better in the flow of the film.

Stephen Trask does an adequate job of balancing the score and making it light, playful, romantic and in a way memorable. The main theme sticks around and that's what makes it work. The score is not reinventing the wheel or giving us anything new, but it works.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 27, 2012
If you are crazy about Alex O'Loughlin like I am - and like anyone else who has ever seen him - then you have seen The Back-Up Plan by now. If you haven't seen it, shame on you. Get the DVD right here at Amazon. It is so much fun!

OK - now that you have seen the movie, get the soundtrack CD. It has songs from the movie and is an eclectic mix that is addictive. I play that CD so much my neighbor asked me what that great music was I was listening to. Well, that could have also been a hint to turn it down, but whatever... Anyway, I had also bought the score. If you have seen the movie the instrumental score is lots of fun to listen to, as each song reminds you of what was happening in the movie when it was played.

SO - if you love Alex or JLo or a fantastically fun and touching romantic comedy - get the DVD (and/or Blu-Ray), the movie soundtrack and the movie score, which is what I am supposed to be talking about now. BTW, Alexo fans - just the fact that there are two different pictures of Alex on the two CD covers should make you want to add them both to your collection. You can look at Alex and enjoy the music too.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse