4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it should
Published on September 15, 2008 by speak04

2.0 out of 5 stars Red plastic split on first use
The purpose of a jar lifter is to lift the jars out of boiling water. On first use of this lifter, the red plastic covering (intended to prevent slip) split in the area gripping the jar. Clearly the plastic used is not up to the task. It seemed the plastic was partially melted by the boiling water. I removed all of it. The lifter works fine without the plastic covering.
Published on July 21, 2011 by Eric Tahje

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it should, September 15, 2008
speak04 (Raleigh, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back to Basics Jar Lifter (Kitchen)
I looked for ages in my city (Tucson, AZ - not a small town!) trying to find one of these. I guess I live in a place where people just don't can anymore because it was nearly impossible to find one. Amazon to the rescue! This jar lifter does what it says - it lifts jars out of boiling water baths and keeps you from getting burned. The hand grips are nice, the section that wraps around the jar are nice and soft to prevent breaking the jars when you lift them, and the tongs are long enough to keep your hands sufficiently far from the water. My only problem with this product is I have short fingers and it's hard to grab the jars with one hand since the tongs have to open so far to fit around the jars. I just use my other hand and it isn't really a problem. Besides, this is something that is common to all jar lifters as opposed to just this one. If you're into canning and need supplies, this jar lifter will do the trick. It's not fancy and it's not expensive, but it does the job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mighty Gripper, June 26, 2008
This review is from: Back to Basics Jar Lifter (Kitchen)
I just used this for the first time last month when I preserved strawberry sauce. Worked like a charm! Never felt like the jar would slip. HIGHLY RECOMMEND

5.0 out of 5 stars you put your big jar in, you pull your big jar out..., November 17, 2008
Laura L. Hall (Weatherford, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back to Basics Jar Lifter (Kitchen)
I used to use a hot pad to insert and remove jars from the hot water bath, a dangerous situation. This jar lifter keeps my hands safely away from the hot water AND the hot jar.

This is now one of my top 3 canning items along with a magnetic lid lifter and a canning pot for hot water baths.

2.0 out of 5 stars Red plastic split on first use, July 21, 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay., March 16, 2013
This review is from: Back to Basics Jar Lifter (Kitchen)
These do get the job done, but the quality of the product is not that great.
I've only used mine twice and the prongs that hold the black bars in place keep slipping out which causes the handles pop off.

Other than that they are fine, you just have to keep an eye on the handle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Right tool for the job!, June 29, 2012
This review is from: Back to Basics Jar Lifter (Kitchen)
Works great. Mine hasn't split like some people are saying. I have run it thought the high heat and sanitize mode on my dishwasher four times and it still looks like new and works great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product!!, August 21, 2009
C. Lougen "cat mom" (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back to Basics Jar Lifter (Kitchen)
This lifter makes it very easy to get jars out of the boiler. Feels very secure when lifting the jars as the jars do not slip at all. Extremely pleased with this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have for Home Canning, July 16, 2009
This review is from: Back to Basics Jar Lifter (Kitchen)
I'm not sure I have the upper body strength to lift several cans at once out of boiling water, so I'm happy I found this Jar Lifter. I've been using it for about 10 years. Before I used a plain set of tongs, for my first canning attempt, and it was too scary to repeat. I purchased my Jar Lifter before the silicone gloves appeared on the market. And even though I've used the gloves a few times, they tend to soak up the heat, so unless you have two gloves to alternate, not a good thing.

This grips the can around the grooves near the top, and makes it easy to lift out of the water. I've tried to lift the cans side wise a few times, when they fall over, but I'm always sure I'll drop the jar.

5.0 out of 5 stars You need this!, March 8, 2010
Susan Batz (San Anselmo, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back to Basics Jar Lifter (Kitchen)
If you can or preserve ANYTHING that involves lifting hot glass jars from VERY hot, deep water, believe me, you need this. It's very basic, and does exactly the job it's made for. Comfortable in your hand, and keeps the jars steady when lifting them out of the water and onto your counter. BUY it or you will burn your hand on a HOT, wet oven mitt. Worth the cost, which is minimal, and will last forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jar Lifter, September 12, 2009
This review is from: Back to Basics Jar Lifter (Kitchen)
This is a must have for anyone who cans. I love the way the tong like device wrapes around any size jar which makes it easy and safe to remove jars from hot boiling water. The long handle has a rubber like grip that doesn't get hot, so you will not burn your hand or fingers when removing hot jars. I hope this product last for ever, however, if it gets missing or broken I will surely buy another.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›