Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Format: Audio CD|Change

on April 20, 2010
I love this record. A strong rock album that encompasses multiple influences and stitches them together beautifully without being overly respectful of any one tradition. The nine instrumentals range from 21st-century New Orleans brass/hip-hop fills to soul jazz a la Grant Green and Jimmy Smith to straight up rock anthems, and the vocal tracks are just as varied, strong and catchy. Cohesive, flowing, with thought-through virtuoso playing and soloing throughout. 'Backatown' gets the party started...
on April 23, 2010
If you have ever heard Trombone Shorty and Orleans Ave live then you will not be disappointed with this performance. This album opens up with a strong performance of "Hurricane Season" to lay the foundation. It eases back with "On your way down". You can hear Lenny Kravitz (background vocals and guitar) on "Something Beautiful". One of my favorite tracks is Suburbia it has a great feeling to it.

It is hard to pin Trombone Shorty to a genre, this is what makes it great. This album is a refreshing look at Funk/Jazz/Rock. You definitely hear the Jazz heritage coming through strong, but with some great fusion with rock and funk. By the way if he comes to your town go and see him, you will be very happy you did and you can thank me later
on April 27, 2010
I really, really hope that this cat goes far in his career and that a lot of people get turned on to his music. I can't tell you how refreshing it is to hear this kind of music coming out right now!

I saw him about a month or so before this release at Mountain Stage in Charleston, WV. The whole room immediately came alive (which is really rare at Mountain Stage because it's a NPR radio show) and it was just incredible. I went straight home and searched for him all over the internet. Now the album is out on a national label and I just hope that it gets the recognition and appreciation it deserves.

The phrase "jack of all trades, master of none" definitely doesn't apply to this guy. He is certainly a jack of all trades, but he can actually master each of them. I just finished my fourth listen through this album and absolutely love it.

Shorty is very diverse but each track is anchored in the original, horn-heavy, and upbeat style of New Orleans jazz. Tracks like "Suburbia" sound like straight-up rock in the vein of Metallica or Pearl Jam but somehow his horns sound right at home among the electric guitar riffs and his use of brass provides a sound and a feel that would otherwise seem out of place in that kind of rock. Some of the tracks like "Something Beautiful" and "On Your Way Down" have beats behind them that are very reminiscent of old-school hip-hop and modern R&B. Some songs like "Quiet as Kept" sound like straight-up funk with Shorty weaving in and out seamlessly while "In the 6th" has a very Latin flavor. The title track, "Backatown" is very atmospheric and probably my favorite so far. "Neph" also shares that really atmospheric vibe and feels very clear and clean.

How he manages to integrate all these styles so flawlessly is just ridiculous. The real key to it all is Shorty's virtuoso talent alongside his ability to keep it all rooted in that original New Orleans style of jazz. Those same roots and virtuoso come through the most during the last track "928 Horn Jam" - a short song that is exactly what its name suggests.

Like I said, I really hope he goes far and that his talent really catches on. He's already been featured in USA Today and Entertainment Weekly and I hope that he continues to be recognized for what he's worth. He's also shared the stage with U2, Green Day, Lenny Kravitz, and several other big-name acts that will hopefully make him more accessible to the public. If there is one song that would most likely break him into the mainstream it would be "Right to Complain" because it has a very catchy chorus but it still doesn't sacrifice its integrity by being too poppy.

In short, it's an incredible, diverse album from an incredible musician who's mastered his instrument as well as any virtuoso who has made their way into the public in the last few decades.

Best wishes and much appreciation to Trombone Shorty!!
on August 22, 2010
WOW! I was completely blown away by a recent live performance of this group! I was so impressed that I wanted to buy the disc at the concert... but, surprise!, it had sold out already by the time I got to the merchandise tent. After going to a local disc shop, I popped this baby in my cd player and was engulfed by the sweet sounds of Trombone Shorty. This album absolutely captures the raw energy that this band gives off during live performances and is every bit as exciting.

The album features Allen Touissaint on piano on "On Your Way Down," one of Toussaint's songs. This song is a definite highlight of the album, making it a great rendition of Toussaint's original. Lenny Kravitz sings background vocals and provides a guitar solo on "Something Beautiful," a wonderful neo-soul/R&B song cowritten with Ryan Montbleau. Marc Broussard sings additional vocals on "Right to Complain" and Charles Smith plays synthesized bass on "Backatown" and "Quiet as Kept." The core band features Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews on vocals, trombone, trumpet, keyboard, drums, and percussion! Pete Murano is an awesome guitarist and provides excellent solos and backing. Mike Ballard on bass, Joey Peebles on drums, Dwayne Williams on percussion, Dan Oestreicher and Clarence Slaughter provide awesome horn backgrounds on Bari-Sax and Alto Sax/Flute respectively.

Troy Andrews wrote/co-wrote nearly every song on this album, and it goes to show that his songwriting talent is quite substantial, especially in the New Orleans funk-jazz genre. The opener "Hurricane Season" and the title track feature awesome horn licks and are extremely catchy tunes. This album is a romp through New Orleans tinged funk and R&B and makes great music for a party or gathering. I haven't been able to pull this album from daily rotation since I purchased it!

Go out and buy this, and other albums from this artist, you can't go wrong. The musicians are above-average and the song-writing is catchy and intuitive. I wouldn't be surprised if this band skyrockets to the top within the next year or two!
on December 22, 2014
This n'orleans 28 year old brought the house down at Russian River Jazz & Blues Festival!!~ Best Trombone Shorty Album for those who are looking for one of his cd's that have a more traditional New Orleans feel. I love him because he is also very SKA influenced. I've listened to all of his cd's and some of his newer stuff doesn't have this older traditional feel. I love him no matter what he plays, but this album best represents his New Orleans roots. I bought 3 cd's so i could turn on a few friends that's how much i like this particular cd.
on April 5, 2015
Bought this album after hearing one of the songs on a kids station. Not really designed to be kids music, but it's kids appropriate. Anytime I can find music my eight year old and I like is a huge bonus.
on February 6, 2013
Trombone Shorty can combine classic jazz sensibilities with modern rock better than anyone I've ever heard. Despite the name, he's an amazing multi-instumentalist and he can sing as well. This album has great variety; some vocal, some instrumentals. Some of it's light, but some of it's rock. Some of it's upbeat, but some of his lyrics are critical (especially "Right to Complain"). The last track is a quick one-minute bit of New Orleans street music; pure brass band jamming. It's an invitation, a reminder that what's on the album is never going to compare to a live musician on a winding New Orleans cobblestone street.

That being said, it's a really good album.
on December 2, 2014
If you love interesting music, New Orleans sounds, mixed with Trombone Shorty's own blend of genre then you will love this guy. We saw him live at a Jazz festival and the audience was blown away. You will be too.
on February 9, 2014
...if you want to get down. Love, love, love this album. "Neph" and "Quiet as Kept" are my absolute favorites. In fact, "Neph" is one of my official soundcheck songs that can tell you in a few, awesome grooving minutes how good your speakers are. And, quite possibly, make you want to buy new ones.
on June 9, 2014
I do not like instrumentals. I am not a fan of jazz. Songs with a lot of horns drive me nuts and give me headaches. Then I picked up Trombone Shorty. I was in New Orleans but I did not do my homework. I did not realize how amazing the music is there. I did not know the names of the legends and the new standard bearers so this opinion may not work for the purists. This CD, along with his others, turned me into a budding fan of jazz. I play all of Shorty's CDs in my classroom often and turned students into fans as well. I play the tunes during pauses at assemblies and concerts at my school and I can people bopping their heads and I know they do not know the tunes. This lead me to Kermit Ruffins, Dr. John, Professor Longhair, Sidney Bechet (the list goes on). A new world of music opened up for me because of this CD. I now look for jazz infused music like this. I find myself tuning into the jazz station on the radio. I scour YouTube to see Shorty play. As - I said - a whole new world. Hurricane Season (the lead tune) always pumps me up. On Your Way Down has a great groove. Backatown makes me wish I could play an instrument. I could go on, but I would rather listen to the CD again. (I could copy and paste this into the other albums by Shorty as well.) As I said - a whole new world for me. I could not he happier.