Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Backspacer
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Showing 1-10 of 19 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on March 2, 2015
I had to exchange Backspacer because the first one wouldn't play right out of the sleeve, and neither would the second. I ended up just buying the album from the Pearl Jam website instead. The album itself is excellent though!
on October 20, 2009
I think this album will take a bit of "work" to like, which has been the case with most of their albums (for me anyway). The songs that immediately grabbed me are: the fixer, just breath, amongst the waves, and force of nature. So these four warrant my satisfaction, in a immediate sense anyway. These songs all have nice elements and seem not to be overdone. The guitar solo on amongst the waves is edgy and showcases mcready's maturity. But I would like to hear more from mcready on this album. There are nice textures in "force of nature" that sound a bit like the edge from U2...not a bad reference. I think Gossard is weak on this album, as he's usually pitching in with some solid chord progressions but he seems to be playing in the background.

I can't say much about the lyrics yet as i'm still trying to understand what eddie wants to say. It hasn't been so hard in the past to understand eddie and perhaps he was more of a poet in previous albums. His words on this album seem a bit simplistic, maybe reflecting the simpler musical layout.

At the end of the day, this album will be spun a lot on my HD. I think it is "good", and after a hiatus of listening to it, the album will trigger memories. All PJ albums have this quality of triggering memories or bringing one back to the place they first spun the record.
44 comments|7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 11, 2011
This is Pearl Jam rocking again. A nice short, punchy album. Might be their shortest. I believe Backspacer was needed after the last few albums, all of which are...ok. Actually I like Riot Act quite a bit, but it was dark.

We get a big rocker here in "The Fixer". Possibly the first memorable single in years. Then the mellow hit "Just Breathe" which my local station has played daily for months. "Got Some" is good, as is "Amongst The Wave". "The End" is a nice...finish.

Overall a solid Pearl Jam disc. Not near my favorite of theirs, but it's still quite good. Now about that cover art...stupid or stupendous?
on April 25, 2013
There's some good songs on BACKSPACER, but in my opinion, this is BY FAR the less inspired album from the great PEARL JAM....It's BY FAR the PEARL JAM album where you can find more ballads and soft Rocks than HEAVY tunes....I understand that the band grow old, but i REALLY miss Vedder's roars and screams and the furious guitar duo of songs like DO THE EVOLUTION and ANIMAL....Backspacer is full of ballads, with 3 or 4 more rocking songs, reminding a lot what U2 used to do....It's by far the PJ album i care less...............
on September 11, 2011
If I compare this to most of their other releases this is just ok. There are no great songs here. There are a few good songs but not great. This is more like riot act just ok. The music sounds like they lost it ,Eddie sounds full of energy and great, I wish I could say that for the band. I love pj and did buy this but if your new to this great band start off with something from the 90s.
on October 13, 2011
The album is good but I really wanted to hear the rest hoping it would be similar to Veder's foray with the "Into the Wild" soundtrack and the song "Just Breathe" is why I bought the album. Not bad but I'd have to be a big Pearl Jam fan to get the whole album if I did it again.
on October 29, 2015
Hmmm I miss the old Pearl Jam, there are some good tracks in this record and the packaging and presentation are really good and high quality but it's far from perfect.
on September 13, 2013
Love the song Just Breathe and bought CD hoping it would have some similar tunes. Had a couple other good songs, but overall not a great... end up skipping through and ultimately listen to about 1/2 the CD each time I listen to it.
on August 16, 2015
One or two goodies...
on July 21, 2011
I grew up on Pearl Jam, let me get that out of the way. Ten and Vs. were my high school love affairs. But when Vitalogy was a let down followed by the highly unimpressive No Code and then Yield (which SEEMED to get them back on track, but fell short after more than a few listens), the love affair was sadly over. I don't don't know what happened between Vs. and Vitalogy, but there was seemingly no passion behind anything other than their ballads. Which I think works for Vedder's beautiful strained chaotic vocals. However, the faster songs are just an uninspired train wreck with Vedder seemingly struggling to match the pace of the rest of the band. I think they should come to terms with this and slow down so we can hear Eddie Vedder's talent again. Some people may not like his solo effort Ukelele Songs, but that's the best he has sounded since the 90s.