5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Help!
Published on September 12, 2000 by Quaker Annie

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, but...
A lot of this book can be summarized in a short amount of space. But the information given is helpful and I still use it to help teach my kids better behavior.
Sometimes I've thought, "Well, is THIS okay for my kids to act like?" She helped me sort out any doubts by letting me know that any behavior that makes me uncomfortable is unacceptable.
I feel she spends...
Published on August 17, 2003 by Heather W.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Help!, September 12, 2000
This review is from: Backtalk: 4 Steps to Ending Rude Behavior in Your Kids (Paperback)
If you have young children (under 14) who 'talk back' to you, you may find this book to be of some help in undoing what can feel like a hopeless battle. My own 9-year old began talking back when he got into first grade, picking up snappy statements from TV and peers. I tried to excuse it at first as just the way modern kids talk to modern parents (I have offspring as old as 32, all boys, who never talked back this way).
After deciding this really was unacceptable behavior, and recognizing that left unattended it was getting worse, I started taking steps to stop it. This book has been one of the aids (not the solution). It doesn't expect the parent to make a friend or equal of the child (rationalize, debate, etc.), but it also doesn't encourage setting up a dictatorship. As with many things, the solution to problems is sometimes in the difficult to maintain moderation arena, which actually requires more work by the parent.
I like this book because it worked - despite being difficult to do at first, once the child gets the message, repeat performances are rare and easy to stop. The book itself is short and to the point, with just four simple steps to follow. They are common sense - I suspect most of us who have this problem will recognize them - but busy, often-stressed parents will appreciate the gentle support and reminders this book offers.
1) Recognize what is and isn't backtalk. (if it hurts, embarrasses, annoys you, its backtalk. If the child is just relaying his feelings about something, its an opinion) 2) Choose an appropriate consequence (unlike 'punishment', a consequence is a result that makes sense to the child) 3) Enact the consequence 4) Disengage from the struggle with the backtalker (don't take it personally, or you're doomed).
Sounds so simple you want to click the "this review wasn't helpful button?" It IS simple -- so simple we forget, so simple it seems to good to be true. The hard parts of these steps are #3 and #4. No book can give you the solution, but books can offer help and reminders.
There are details in the book that I still find helpful -- the backtalk has pretty much stopped -- all I have to do is remind my son now that "backtalk isn't allowed" and he immediately stops.
In addition, there are short chapters for backtalk from Adult Children (!), from Children in College, for Single Parents specifically, and Backtalk in the Media. There is a bit of information on support groups and other resources (not a lot), plus ideas on starting your own support group, as well as a chapter dedicated to responding to people who disagree with the methods in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous techniques, December 28, 1999
This book teaches adults how to teach children in their lives not to speak rudely to others. It is amazing to realize how early some children learn to backtalk, and how quickly you can break them of that habit (the sooner the better!) The book tells you how to recognize the difference between rude backtalk and requests for topics of conversation (sometimes the difference can be hazy.) It also shows you how to immediately enact a consequence so that the child is told unequivocally that their behavior is unacceptable and will not be tolerated. This book has no room for "IF you do this again, I will do this..." It jumps right in with both feet - "BECAUSE you were rude and that makes me feel bad/sad/angry, I don't feel like doing this nice thing that I had said I would do for you." When the child sees immediate consequences, he learns very quickly and the behavior can be eliminated within a few weeks. This book is straightforward and exceedingly helpful for adults who interact with children of all ages.

4.0 out of 5 stars VERY helpful book and easy to read! However,, June 28, 1999
it is very rudimentary. I would like more emphasis on what's needed beyond insisting on respect. If the parents don't model respect for others and themselves, the child won't have any idea what it looks like.
I have used the methods in this book successfully, but slightly modified for my 5 year old daughter so that she won't feel broadsided by consequences before she knows what's expected of her. I tell her first when she's nearing a boundary, and she's eager to learn the rules.
This book DOES give concrete advice about what to do when it feels as if there's nothing you can do. I recommended it to any thoughtful parent who feels guilty about having to set limits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick to read, quick to work, May 13, 1999
By A Customer
I read the book in one afternoon and immediately put the suggestions to work. My 3 1/2 year back-talker caught on immediately. Within 3 days, her behavior had changed. No more arguing, no more back-talk, no more negotiating, no more hysterics and temper-tantrums. The recommended method in this book doesn't mean you have to become a monster. Most of my time with my children is full of loving cuddling time with lots of hugs, kisses, praises and self-esteem building encouragement. My husband continues with our old ineffective method of discipline. As such, my daughter continues to argue with him and back-talks to him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for dealing with anyone - not just kids, December 27, 1999
I read this book in one sitting recently - it's short and an easy read. I started using some of the recommended techniques that same day with our kids and they do work. Yes, they are simple, and most of them are things I already knew about setting boundaries - but sometimes it's helpful to have reminders and specific examples! I've used the techniques with other rude people as well, and while they're generally shocked to hear someone say "I will not interact with you if you will not be civil" it does work. Rudeness is, unfortunately, rampant in our society - this book should be required reading for anyone who's unhappy about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has transformed our home life, January 14, 2002
"nrgg" (Berkeley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
After a miserable Christmas vacation with kids squabbling and backtalking, I found this book on Amazon and ordered it. As soon as I got it, I began to put its principles into practice and immediately saw a difference in my kids. Our home life is calmer and more loving. I feel more respected and worthy of respect. Backtalk is based on the work of Rudolf (?) Dreikurs. I had taken a childrearing course and read other materials based on Dreikurs' ideas, so I was somewhat familiar with the ideas of natural and logical consequences. But this book, addressing a specific childrearing issue, makes the methodology simple to understand and put into practice. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Short, simple, specific and easy-to-read., June 2, 1999
By A Customer
Practical ideas for solving a common problem. Works especially well with pre-teens. Worth a read. I'd also recommend: Kid Cooperation (How to Stop Yelling Nagging and Pleading) by Elizabeth Pantley

5.0 out of 5 stars This book made so much sense!, April 3, 2000
Roma Barba (Redondo Beach, California) - See all my reviews
This book was quite a quick read. It was direct and thorough and gave so many scenarious that I deal with on a day to day basis. I am implementing the program and already after the third day I have seen improvements in my childrens' behavior. I have a two year old boy and a five year old girl and both of them have become quite the backtalkers! I really needed this book as I was at my wits end on how to deal with this behavior. It gave me other options rather than just a time out which really never corrected the behavior. I highly recommend this book to every parent. Most importantly, carefully select appropriate programming for your children as they learn lots of rude behavior from their daily television shows they watch on tv.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Works!, January 1, 2004
Imperial Topaz (Marrakesh, Morocco) - See all my reviews
I am both a mother and an elementary-school teacher in an American School overseas. I have been having trouble with backtalk for several years from both my daughter, and my kids at school.
This book gives an informative, logical discussion of where this backtalk problem is coming from, and indicates that a lot of it has to do with the media. For example, the kinds of shows which were on TV when I was a kid were "Leave It to Beaver," in which the only backtalker was the juvenile delinquent Eddie Haskel! Compare that to today's sitcoms featuring constant backtalking between ALL characters. Other social reasons for the rise of backtalk are also discussed.
I read this book and realized that I am always giving my daughter, and the kids at school, too many extra chances to behave. The books discusses a straightforward, yet respectful, strategy toward kids which teaches them to behave in a likewise respectful manner toward adults (the antithesis of what they are seeing on most TV programs).
As an amusing side comment, my ten-year-old daughter saw this book and asked me what it said. She does not like to read. I told her that she was welcome to pick up the book and read for herself what it said, but other than that, she was just going to have to wait to find out when she backtalked to me (I said this to encourage her to read). She didn't read it, but told me that she was sure it said to punish kids more, and she immediately started to behave better!! It doesn't say that at ALL, however. It explains a calm and respectful way of TALKING to kids and MAKING and ENFORCING (non-physical) CONSEQUENCES that really works. I have already spoken in this manner to my daughter, and it really does work. It makes me FEEL BETTER as a parent, too, instead of screaming and shouting (and/or spanking) all the time! I can hardly wait for Christmas vacation to be over so I implement the suggestions in my third-grade classroom.
If you are having trouble with backtalk, definitely buy this book. You can read the whole thing in about three hours. The discussions are straightforward, and practical. The authors are both Ph.D.'s who are also educators, and parents, as well. They themselves have struggled with backtalk both at home and at school, and are sharing their solutions with others. The book is really aimed at PARENTS, and dealing with backtalk in the HOME, but there is a short discussion on backtalk at school.
The BEST thing about this book is that it is not just a theoretical discussion. Many sample conversations with children and adolescents are included, showing how they USUALLY go, and then rewritten, to show how they would most likely go, with the NEW parent responses included in the conversation. So when you finish the book, and think about the first conversation you are going to have with your child backtalking, when suddenly you can't remember what to say! So like me, you can quickly flip through the pages to the ones you've marked with the responses you want to remember, and have the line ready. I used the same line three times yesterday, and it worked like a charm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Help for an Out-of-Control Backtalking Generation, April 11, 2000
By A Customer
This book was very informative and easy to read. The 4 step program is easy to follow and impliment into our daily life. My 6 year old stepson has really started to use backtalk since having to have longer residentail visits with his mother and starting school. I plan on having his mother read this and try to impliment the 4 steps in their routine too. It is a very fair way to deal with him and his "generation". With all of the outside forces guiding him and his peers towards rude bahavior, parents need to take a more firm stand to take control of their own homes and lives. We were made parents for a reason... to guide and mold our children, not the other way around. It is hard to keep up with the enforcing of the epunishment but it only took a few times for my son to realize I ment what I said and would follow through. I look forward to having this book on hand for when my toddler daughter takes her first step towards backtalking. I feel more confident as a parent and better equiped to handle any backtalking situation that arrises. My thanks go out to Mrs. Ricker & Crowder for an informative and helpful book.

Backtalk: 4 Steps to Ending Rude Behavior in Your Kids
Backtalk: 4 Steps to Ending Rude Behavior in Your Kids by Audrey Ricker (Paperback - March 10, 1998)
$12.99 $9.46