Backward Compatibility Protest

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 88 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 26, 2011 3:58:20 PM PDT
While looking for new games for the Wii, I discovered that Nintendo was creating the Wii U. I was excited at first since the Wii is awesome and now a better version was coming out. Unfortunately my enthusiasm for the new Wii U dropped after having discovered that the Wii U will not be backwards compatible with Game Cube games. This means we will not be able to play any of our older favorite games on the new system, or in order to play them we may have to pay to download them.
Does anybody else feel the same? Why? We need to hammer the Nintendo web site with complaints about the lack of backwards compatibility.
Here is the address to send your protest about this stupid move on their part: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/webform.jsp

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 4:18:19 PM PDT
to tell you the truth, i don't mind it all that much. i have a wii, so, i can play gamecube games on the wii. and i barely play gamecube games. so, i actually prefer the wii u to play wii titles instead of gamecube. i mean, i would love for it to play both. (that way, i wouldn't have to leave both systems hooked up) but, if i had to choose one or the other, i would choose the original wii titles. because, i play wii a lot more then gamecube.

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 5:34:12 PM PDT
Sarah Bau says:
Well I feel the same way. I find most of the wii titles to be boring (save for Super Smash Bros. Brawl) so I usually play any old gamecube games like Super Mario Sunshine or Zelda Wind Waker. I was excited for the Wii U to come out next year until I found it was only backwords compatible with wii games. I was hoping to sell my wii so I could play wii, gamecube, and Wii u games all on one system. Now that I know this, I might not the new system unless I see some good reviews.

Posted on Oct 27, 2011 8:54:45 AM PDT
Fidel Amaya says:
Why is it that people still want to live in the past, really??? A new system is intended for NEW GAMES, really guys? just keep your old Wii and Play Gamecube games on that. I own both a Wii and PS3 and i really do care if my PS3 cant play Ps2 Games, really. I just turn on my PS2 when i feel like playing PS2 games? People will always find something to complain about. Im dissapointed with the Wii U, not because its exluding the Gamecube Compatability, but because it seems that Nintendo is loosing its inovated touch. Wii U sounds like a Nintendo version of the Ps3 and 360. Lets just wait till it comes out so we can really be able to review it. And i guarantee you that after Wii U comes out, Sony and Microsoft will introduce a new system that can do the same thing the Wii U can. PS Vita might even be able to serve as a controller for the Ps3. Remember REMOTE PLAY???

Posted on Oct 27, 2011 12:11:04 PM PDT
people everywhere has different opinions. it's very hard to find one that matches yours. so you see, deciding if something is for you based on what reviews say, may not be the best way of going about it. my advise is to look at the games the wii u has for it, and if you don't think it's worth it to buy the system, then don't. myself, i love nintendo, they are my favorite company. but, i don't see many good games for it. it's not worth it right now. i hope they will show off better games at next year's E3.

Posted on Oct 29, 2011 8:36:11 AM PDT
Even if you were to have thousands of people protest, they're not going to halt production and re-engineer the thing! You think they'd want to lose countless millions on a redesign, and re-produce or just have a few discontented people who are going to suck it up and move on eventually anyway?

Posted on Oct 29, 2011 10:48:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2011 10:48:41 AM PDT
that's true. but, they could always release a newer model of the wii u.

Posted on Nov 2, 2011 11:03:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2011 11:03:57 PM PDT
Steve says:
I'm sure nintendo thought about it. It may have cost too much on the production line to add cube considering the low demand. I'm sure they will offer downloads at a reasonable cost. A few cents in production = a few bucks to the consumer. Most of us would only want a couple cube games, if any, and don't want to pay $20+ dollars per console to do it. Sorry.

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 9:58:31 AM PST
J. R. S. D says:
The Wii U is a new console, and it IS backwards compatible with the previous generation: the Wii.

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 2:57:09 PM PST
C. Oliver says:
Why would it continue to support games from 2 generations ago? It'd be completely counter-productive. They're going to make newer games of classic franchises with HD and new functionality in mind. If you wish to play older games for the nostalgia then play them on your Wii or Game Cube--it's that simple. Also, what JRSD said.

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 9:11:34 PM PST
lizard81288 says:
Then how will Nintendo market HD remakes?

But yeah, that is two generations ago. Since the Wii doesn't really have any N64 games, due to size, I doubt will see GCN games anytime soon. IIRC, the last time I checked, it has 8Gs of internal memory, so 1 Gamecube game would take up 50% of the space, since most GCN are about 4Gs (max) or under. So you could have maybe 3 GCN games before you ran out of room. I hope with the Wiiu, we get better N64 support

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 8:31:45 PM PST
DoctorDB says:
The first article I ever read about the Wii U (before they decided to officially call it that) claimed that it would have compatibility with both the Wii and Gamecube games and that there would be ports for both types of controllers. Even the article (I forget where I read it) mentioned how busy the system would have to looks to have ports for all the different types of controllers. I agree that no gamecube compatibility would be a contributing factor as to why I don't plan on buying the Wii U, but you have to admit that it would just be too much. Not to mention the fact that these older games should be nothing compared to what the Wii U claims to be able to do graphics-wise and I'm sure they thought it to just be a waste of space after analyzing it (as 'lizard81288' pointed out). I for one sold my Dreamcast, sold my Gamecube, so now I'm keeping the Wii to play GCN games, but I'm done with the upgrading hype. If anything awesome comes out, hopefully my PC can run it (works for Sonic Generations).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 10:41:01 PM PST
Retroplore says:
Yeah, it is disappointing. But, I do understand mainly because the new console is part of Wii.

Gamecube and its games are separated and part of the past. Therefore, I would have to keep my Gamecube console unless I decide to get the regular Wii console instead.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 11:02:20 AM PST
D. Brady says:
I'm sure you and the 35 other people in the world that still turn on their GameCube are thoroughly disappointed. As far as I'm concerned as long as they have GC, N64, SNES and NES titles on the online store to download, I could care less.

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 7:51:07 PM PDT
swimmer1929 says:
How come every time a NEW system comes out, everybody starts talking about playing OLD games on it?

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 12:19:20 PM PDT
Steve says:
@razor101- Are you serious?

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 10:59:38 AM PDT
M. Gariti says:
No Gamecube functionality sucks quite a bit...downloading old GC games to the 8GB internal drive isn't very feasable, as you'd have to go one at a time. The ONLY way DL-only could work is if WiiU accepts USB sticks or Flash Cards to download old games onto.

The reason it comes up, R101, is because shelling out $60-$70 a game isn't ALWAYS feasable, and previous-gen games tend to get MUCH cheaper as time goes on. If your console COULD play it, why not just try it? IE:I used to by PS and PS2 games intermittently for my PS3, but then an update cut out backward capability. Now those games don't only not work for me, but they're not really worth anything to re-sell either.

Posted on May 1, 2012 10:53:24 AM PDT
Steve says:
Refurbished gamecubes with controler are availible @ GameStop for $30.

Posted on May 3, 2012 4:48:08 AM PDT
donna dias says:
Next you're going to tell me there is no NES slot. What a ripoff!

Seriously though, dumb complaint. Gamecubes and Wiis are near indestructable if you don't put them in the microwave or eat off them.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 2:54:47 PM PDT
Xlea says:
USB Hard Drives and SD cards will be compatible so you don't have to worry about running out of space

Posted on May 7, 2012 7:14:56 AM PDT
Lily says:
Maybe I'm asking a totally obvious question here, but I'm tired of just guessing. Will the Wii U be able to play Wii games or not? I heard that it might be released this holiday season and I won't bother buying another Wii if I can just play the games of the Wii U.

@donna dias Right?!?! My gamecube went through a house fire and still worked! Unfortunently while we were out during a thunderstorm my Wii got fried >.<

Posted on May 7, 2012 12:27:19 PM PDT
Steve says:
The Wii U will be 100% compatible with Wii games and controllers so make sure you hang on to your old controllers (and of course games). My question is will we be able to transfer Wiiware to the new console? I've got a lot of $ invested in WiiWare.

Posted on May 7, 2012 3:28:15 PM PDT
steve is right. i heard it straight from the president of nintendo of America, at their e3 press conference. it will be backwards to all wii games and wii accesseries.

and, i really want not just wiiware to tranfer over to the wii u, but also virtual console games as well.

Posted on May 7, 2012 3:37:50 PM PDT
i learned not to take anyone's word for it. so, here's the link to watch nintendo's press conference on youtube, "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1JJPkd4Q28" or you can go to "e3.nintendo.com". this site will tell you about the wii u among others. do not put "www." it will not find it. spell it out like i wrote it.

Posted on May 16, 2012 10:36:14 AM PDT
I doubt it. It would completely counter-productive. Considering 1) During that generation, there wasn't that many people who purchased the GC anyway, 2) It would more profitable for Nintendo to remake, or release it on VC, and finally, 3) This may actually give people who bought the Wii keep their console and those that didn't may buy Wii. It may lengthen Wii's life a bit more.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  49
Total posts:  88
Initial post:  Oct 26, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Nintendo Wii U Console 8GB Basic Set - White
Nintendo Wii U Console 8GB Basic Set - White by Nintendo (Nintendo Wii U)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (217)