5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically Haunting
First of all, this is absolutely stunning: Dan's voice is chillingly perfect, the melodies are fantastically haunting, and the lyrics are beautifully poetic and enchanting.

Bastille's songs are laced with simple rhythms but filled with haunting melodies that leave the listener still enveloped and entranced even after the song has ended.
Most bands are...
Published 17 months ago by nom de plume

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good songs
This is a decent set of songs. My complaint is typical for much of the music today - whether it's because one musician is mixing all the sounds or the group is underproduced - the sound is a little "thin". I'd like to hear them live and see if the thin sound is simply how the music is produced or if the music itself needs more development.
Published 8 months ago by me

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically Haunting, March 22, 2013
This review is from: Bad Blood (Audio CD)

Most bands are directly relatable to ones from the past, Bastille is not at all like this. It's fresh, new, and amazing as its subtle influences are many great ones. I'd also like to point out that so many of the songs are emotively based off of past events and fiction such as Icarus, Weight of Living Pt 1 (hidden track), Laura Palmer, Daniel in the Den, and Pompeii. What other artist has been able to put past stories and events to music and still reach the top of the charts?

So, all in all, best album of the year, no doubt. Five stars from me. If you're on the fence, don't be. I cannot wait for these guys to come see us in America!

Also, check out their "Other People's Heartbreak" cover albums if you're dying for more B∆STILLE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stuck on repeat, March 23, 2013
This review is from: Bad Blood (Audio CD)
I first heard "Oblivion" on The Vampire Diaries and wanted it so badly, but could not find it anywhere other than youtube. I kept searching, hoping it would eventually become available. Finally, I got my wish. I'm the kind of person that listens to samples from the entire CD before purchasing just one song, because a lot of the time I will like other songs on the album. When I listened to just samples off of "Bad Blood", I was extremely intrigued. I bought this for 18 dollars...quite steep for a 12 track album these days but I do NOT regret it one bit. You know how with a lot of CD's, you have your favorite tracks and you sometimes skip others to hear that one? I cannot bear to skip anything on this! I love all of them so much, I haven't taken the CD out of my car's player since the day it arrived in the mail. I also listen to it on my mp3 player while cooking or riding my bike. Basically, I cannot stand to not listen to this it is so amazing. It is unique also, which is refreshing in a world of copycats as far as music goes. I have zero complaints about "Bad Blood", and I wish it would catch on in the US...but then again, I rather enjoy being part of a smaller audience anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ethereal Genius In A Synthy Pop Package, June 3, 2013
This review is from: Bad Blood (Audio CD)
This album is full of beautiful harmony, soaring melodies and synthy pop goodness that isn't too over the top.

Opening with "Pompeii"-which brings to mind imagined images of the actual event with an enchanting opening chorus. It's worth noting that the band got to perform this song at The British Museum at the Pompeii exhibit!

"Overjoyed" is perhaps one of the best tracks on the record. Simple repetition of what can be described as haunting lyrics. "I hear you calling in the dead of night" invokes memories of scenarios as diverse as the lives of listeners.

Every song on the record is amazing but other personal stand-outs are "Icarus", "Oblivion", "Flaws" and "Laura Palmer" the latter named after the character on the popular TV show "Twin Peaks".

The band centers around Dan Smith and his vocal talents but the band provides great back-up vocals and simple instrumentals that make Bastille greater than what any member would be solo.

Buy this record, you'll be spinning it all summer! Worth the cost of importing for fellow Americans!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, June 23, 2013
This review is from: Bad Blood (Audio CD)
Let me first begin by saying I have never once contributed a review to a product on Amazon. I've purchased thousands of items without ever feeling the need to describe the purchase. This album has shown me the error of my ways.

It's been a long, long time since I came upon an album that surprised me as much as this one. I actually first heard of this band in their "Haunt". I had forgotten of them until I heard "Pompeii" on a random internet radio channel. Immediately I searched and saw that they had released their "Bad Blood" album. Unfortunately it hasn't released in the US yet but having just moved to Australia I was able to purchase it.

Dan's voice is just beyond brilliant in every aspect on this album. As some have said, there's not a song on this album I will skip, not one, even after numerous repeat listens. The songs are so layered and Dan's voice just ties everything together perfectly. The sound seems new and fresh yet at the same time familiar. It's incredible. I will be seeing them on tour soon and cannot wait. Top album of 2013 for me by a mile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a Single Song Skipped, September 6, 2013
This review is from: Bad Blood (MP3 Music)
Even though I've heard many of the songs from this album over the past 18 months, this is the first time since Depeche Mode's 'Violator' that I've listened to a new release from beginning to end about 20 times without skipping a single song. This is a truly amazing album. The vocal layering, the instrumentation, the timing, and the flow is all perfect.

I think we are witnessing the start of a brilliant career for this band. Even though they have been buzzing in the indie scene for quite a while, the excitement is still there. If you are a fan of great vocalists, you WILL love this album. Dan Smith leads this group with foresight and savvy, and his last name even hints at some irony.

Buy this album, put on your headphones and get lost for a good hour. Just make sure you have time to do it all again, immediately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Incredible, September 11, 2013
This review is from: Bad Blood (MP3 Music)
This album is definitely one of my best music purchases ever. I cannot say that this is my favorite type of music, nor that the album contains one of my favorite songs of the year, but it is absolutely one of the best complete albums I have ever purchased. Every song is different, and every song is good. I am absolutely awestruck at Dan's chilling vocals and the fantastic rhythmic variation and harmonies that accompany them. This is pure talent (and creativity!).

As a side note, I'm completely baffled by the mediocre critical reception of this album. If that's holding you back, don't let it! This should be album of the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bastille's Bad Blood a great CD, November 2, 2013
This review is from: Bad Blood (Audio CD)
No wonder Bastille's Bad Blood went to the top of the charts in England. They are a great band and I went to their show in Portland, Oregon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bastille is Awesome!!!!, May 9, 2014
This review is from: Bad Blood (Vinyl)
It is the first album that I have liked every song on the album. The majority of the songs I would rate on average 8 on a scale of 1-10. I bought the vinyl and the for those of you that like vinyl this is high quality vinyl.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 Review, April 6, 2014
This review is from: Bad Blood (Audio CD)
I really like this band. In some ways, I like them more than a much more mainstream counterpart, Imagine Dragons. I really like how Bastille keeps it a bit more real, less synthesizers, less production. I also really like the vocalist Dan Smith. Bastille is deeper than most indie rock bands out there, and just as pretty in the genre's unorthodox ways. I'm a huge fan of the songs Bad Blood, and Icarus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't wait! Buy this album! It's lush and beautiful., February 9, 2014
This review is from: Bad Blood (Audio CD)
I cannot stop listening to this album. I have listened to it every day since I bought it. Even my kids enjoy it.

Bad Blood
Bad Blood by Bastille (Audio CD - 2013)
Rate and Discover Movies