Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation

Format: Audio CD|Change

on March 22, 2013
First of all, this is absolutely stunning: Dan's voice is chillingly perfect, the melodies are fantastically haunting, and the lyrics are beautifully poetic and enchanting.

Bastille's songs are laced with simple rhythms but filled with haunting melodies that leave the listener still enveloped and entranced even after the song has ended.
Most bands are directly relatable to ones from the past, Bastille is not at all like this. It's fresh, new, and amazing as its subtle influences are many great ones. I'd also like to point out that so many of the songs are emotively based off of past events and fiction such as Icarus, Weight of Living Pt 1 (hidden track), Laura Palmer, Daniel in the Den, and Pompeii. What other artist has been able to put past stories and events to music and still reach the top of the charts?

So, all in all, best album of the year, no doubt. Five stars from me. If you're on the fence, don't be. I cannot wait for these guys to come see us in America!

Also, check out their "Other People's Heartbreak" cover albums if you're dying for more B∆STILLE.
44 comments|43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2013
I first heard "Oblivion" on The Vampire Diaries and wanted it so badly, but could not find it anywhere other than youtube. I kept searching, hoping it would eventually become available. Finally, I got my wish. I'm the kind of person that listens to samples from the entire CD before purchasing just one song, because a lot of the time I will like other songs on the album. When I listened to just samples off of "Bad Blood", I was extremely intrigued. I bought this for 18 dollars...quite steep for a 12 track album these days but I do NOT regret it one bit. You know how with a lot of CD's, you have your favorite tracks and you sometimes skip others to hear that one? I cannot bear to skip anything on this! I love all of them so much, I haven't taken the CD out of my car's player since the day it arrived in the mail. I also listen to it on my mp3 player while cooking or riding my bike. Basically, I cannot stand to not listen to this it is so amazing. It is unique also, which is refreshing in a world of copycats as far as music goes. I have zero complaints about "Bad Blood", and I wish it would catch on in the US...but then again, I rather enjoy being part of a smaller audience anyway.
on June 3, 2013
This album is full of beautiful harmony, soaring melodies and synthy pop goodness that isn't too over the top.

Opening with "Pompeii"-which brings to mind imagined images of the actual event with an enchanting opening chorus. It's worth noting that the band got to perform this song at The British Museum at the Pompeii exhibit!

"Overjoyed" is perhaps one of the best tracks on the record. Simple repetition of what can be described as haunting lyrics. "I hear you calling in the dead of night" invokes memories of scenarios as diverse as the lives of listeners.

Every song on the record is amazing but other personal stand-outs are "Icarus", "Oblivion", "Flaws" and "Laura Palmer" the latter named after the character on the popular TV show "Twin Peaks".

The band centers around Dan Smith and his vocal talents but the band provides great back-up vocals and simple instrumentals that make Bastille greater than what any member would be solo.

Buy this record, you'll be spinning it all summer! Worth the cost of importing for fellow Americans!
on June 23, 2013
Let me first begin by saying I have never once contributed a review to a product on Amazon. I've purchased thousands of items without ever feeling the need to describe the purchase. This album has shown me the error of my ways.

It's been a long, long time since I came upon an album that surprised me as much as this one. I actually first heard of this band in their "Haunt". I had forgotten of them until I heard "Pompeii" on a random internet radio channel. Immediately I searched and saw that they had released their "Bad Blood" album. Unfortunately it hasn't released in the US yet but having just moved to Australia I was able to purchase it.

Dan's voice is just beyond brilliant in every aspect on this album. As some have said, there's not a song on this album I will skip, not one, even after numerous repeat listens. The songs are so layered and Dan's voice just ties everything together perfectly. The sound seems new and fresh yet at the same time familiar. It's incredible. I will be seeing them on tour soon and cannot wait. Top album of 2013 for me by a mile.
on September 6, 2013
Even though I've heard many of the songs from this album over the past 18 months, this is the first time since Depeche Mode's 'Violator' that I've listened to a new release from beginning to end about 20 times without skipping a single song. This is a truly amazing album. The vocal layering, the instrumentation, the timing, and the flow is all perfect.

I think we are witnessing the start of a brilliant career for this band. Even though they have been buzzing in the indie scene for quite a while, the excitement is still there. If you are a fan of great vocalists, you WILL love this album. Dan Smith leads this group with foresight and savvy, and his last name even hints at some irony.

Buy this album, put on your headphones and get lost for a good hour. Just make sure you have time to do it all again, immediately.
on April 29, 2014
Bastille is apt to draw comparisons to contemporary acts like The Fray and OneRepublic, but thematically they are also reminiscent of '80s greats like The Fixx, INXS (before they went too mainstream) and Midnight Oil. I am puzzled by reviewers that say it all sounds too much the same, as this album boasts more musical variety across its 15 tracks than I've heard in quite some time. Tribal choral vocals, xylophones, occasional orchestration, and electronic flourishes merge in wonderful synergy with more traditional rock instrumentation. Some tunes (like the irresistibly energetic "Pompeii," "Icarus" and "Laura Palmer") are punchy and bursting with enthusiasm, while others are more driving and deliberate ("Laughter Lines" and "These Streets" -- should appeal to fans of Imagine Dragons). The ballads ("Overjoyed" and "Get Home") resemble some of the better work by Matt Kearney.

There is a curious tension at play in many of these carefully-crafted songs, as the music surges and soars across infectious beats while the lyrics tend to have an undeniably gloomy and dark aspect (see, e.g., the two parts of "Weight of Living"). This tension is evident in "Pompeii" as well -- a bit like R.E.M.'s "It's the End of the World As We Know It (and I Feel Fine)." Although the title interpreted literally applies to the ancient Italian tragedy, the lyrics could just as easily be about 9/11, America's misguided Middle Eastern Odyssey in its wake, and back to banking business as usual. Nothing changed at all. How am I gonna be an optimist about this? Simple: express my gratitude that there are outstanding musicians like Bastille out there telling it like it is.
on September 11, 2013
This album is definitely one of my best music purchases ever. I cannot say that this is my favorite type of music, nor that the album contains one of my favorite songs of the year, but it is absolutely one of the best complete albums I have ever purchased. Every song is different, and every song is good. I am absolutely awestruck at Dan's chilling vocals and the fantastic rhythmic variation and harmonies that accompany them. This is pure talent (and creativity!).

As a side note, I'm completely baffled by the mediocre critical reception of this album. If that's holding you back, don't let it! This should be album of the year.
on December 17, 2013
Bastille's "Bad Blood" is full of brooding lyricism and darkened musical influences. It's hard to figure out where to but Bastille in terms of genre. Much like Imagine Dragons, Awolnation or Alex Clare, Bastille's sound ranges from rock to rock with electronic influences to acoustic lyrical crooning. "Alternative Rock" is really the only place you can put them, though I think that's quite a disservice to the sound Bastille is offering.
It's easiest for me to speak about Bad Blood by comparing it with Imagine Dragons, Awolnation, and Alex Clare because he really does sound like a mellow combination of all three. It's easy to get lost in the voice of lead singer Dan Smith. His British accent laces all his vocals and brings an otherworldly quality to many songs. My only complaint with the group is that many of their songs sound very similar and sometimes run together - also, their music videos are beyond weird and really don't do enough to back up their music.
It's clean that Bastille is still a growing group, but with their first proper album they do very well - this album is worth a purchase for the kick off track 'Pompeii' alone, which will be stuck in your head until you watch the music video. Then it may just disturb you as you wonder why everyone has black eyes.
I bought this album because of the song Pompeii. I haven't heard any of the other songs so it was a bit of a gamble. Turned out to be pretty good. Not too familiar with this band but so far I am really liking what I hear.

This album has a theme telling stories about past historical and mythological events. I know some folks make interpretations to these songs on a more personal level, but I learned the songs are just stories, not with the deeper meanings folks have assigned to them, such as for the song Pompeii, which, according to Dan Smith, was about the individuals who are about to be engulfed by the volcanic fallout, having a conversation with one another--what they would be saying.

Most of the songs had catchy hooks to them that kept me humming along, so it's was a sign of a great album.
on February 18, 2014
Bastille are an incredible new band from England. Their debut album "Bad Blood" is one of the most impressive first efforts I've heard. The group takes their name from the French national holiday Bastille Day, which is the same day that the lead singer Dan Smith was born on. Dan Smith sings in his natural British accent, which brings a unique flair to the band.

There are so many hits on this album that it's hard to decide which tracks I love best. I think the standouts are Pompeii, Things We Lost in the Fire, Bad Blood, Oblivion, and Laughter Lines. However, all of the tracks are catchy and deep, referencing moments in history such as the volcanic eruption in Pompeii in Italy as well as Icarus from Greek mythology and Daniel from the Bible. If you're not too sure about these allusions, try brushing up on your reading to better understand the songs.

Definitely give "Bad Blood" a try. I hope Bastille comes out with more amazing music in the near future!