Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Format: PaperbackChange

on January 8, 2010
It is not easy being a seventeen years old high school student especially having a boyfriend who is a thousand years old vampire. Complicating matters for Magnus the vampire head of the Blood Coven and human Sunny McDonald is she does not want to convert while his followers demand he accept a blood mate to co-rule; humans are forbidden. While he conceals his destiny from her, she learns all about it from Rhodes Scholar Oxford University magna cum laude Jane Johnson, the coven's chosen one.

Sunny has issues beyond jealousy though that is what Magnus assumes is eating at her. Instead Sunny wonders how someone graduating from prestigious Oxford with honors, knows nothing, even common information, about her school and teachers. Worse she dresses trashy and acts as if the educated are beneath her contempt. Something is not right so when the Coven heads to Vegas for the blood mate convention, Sunny and her vampiric-slayer twin sister Rayne secretly go with them to prove Jayne is a fake before the binding exchange of vows occurs.

Sunny is a pure blood normal American teen who has accepted that vampire exist with a calm demeanor even as she is the readers prime escort into a fascinating sub-culture that resides within the greater society. Volunteer blood donors insure the edict of not killing humans is enforced. Sunny is somewhat hurt that Magnus blows away her concerns rejecting the initial circumstantial evidence she provides without listening. She vows to save him anyway and find a mortal teenage male who she could care for. Although campy and amusing, the latest Blood Coven young adult urban fantasy (see Stake That, Girls That Growl and Boys That Bite) is a splendid vampire tale.

Harriet Klausner
on March 18, 2010
Sunny and her twin sister Rayne are at it again. When
Magnus, Sunny's century year old vampire boyfriend, gets the
bad news about having to get a blood mate, her world comes
crumbling down. Magnus' blood mate is a supermodel looking,
Oxford graduate vampire named Jane Johnson, who just doesn't
feel right to Sunny. Unfortunately, Magnus just puts off her
suspicions as jealousy. When the Coven gets called to a
convention in Las Vegas, Sunny and Rayne decide to secretly
tag along so they can get to the truth about this so-called
"Jane". What they aren't expecting is a whirl wind of
adventure that leads them onto different paths all along the
way that lead to more mysteries for them to solve. It's up
to Sunny to save her vampire lover and the Coven before Jane
destroys it with her, Bad Blood.

Bad Blood is the 4th book
in the Blood Coven Vampire series. This book is
mind-gripping from the very first chapter to the very last
page. There are a lot of laughs throughout the whole story
with enough seriousness and simple obstacles that teenagers
have to deal with everyday to keep you interested. It's
jam-packed with adventure and unexpected turns in the novel
that leave you breathless. Even the very last page makes you
beg for more! It's a great story for any of you looking for
a good vampire tale.

Reviewed by a young adult student reviewer
Flamingnet Book Reviews
Teen books reviewed by teen reviewers
on March 10, 2010
Sunny McDonald is living an atypical teenage life. Her boyfriend, Magnus, a centuries-old vampire, is Master of one of the most powerful covens in the world. Her twin sister, Rayne, has been transformed into a vampire (by her own choosing), but has somehow managed to retain some of her human qualities, AND is a vampire slayer for Slayer, Inc.

And, of course, there is the tiny detail that Sunny and Rayne's parents conveniently left out of their family history (but I'll leave that for you to discover).

Sunny's life is certainly not boring. Between saving Magnus from an evil vampire and performing in the Sun Hotel's production of Bram Stoker's Dracula, Sunny doesn't have much time for "normal" teenage activities.
That doesn't seem to bother Sunny, though.

BAD BLOOD is Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets the members of the HOUSE OF NIGHT. Mancusi's fast prose and witty remarks will have readers glued to the page. Her allusions, ranging from OPI's newest and hottest color to Hot Topic fashion, will appeal to today's hip and with-it teenage population.

I'm sure there will be many more stories with Sunny and Rayne at the helm. This is definitely a series with bite!!

Reviewed by: LadyJay
on January 23, 2010
Bad Blood, the fourth book in Blood Coven Vampire series, is the first book I have read. After reading the short prologue I felt quite caught up in past events and easily settled into this book.

Sunshine "Sunny" McDonald and her twin sister, Rayne (yes, cutesy weather names) are seventeen years old and live quite the life. Sunny dates the thousand year old vampire Magnus, who is the leader of a big vampire coven. Sunny is a mortal, or at least now is - she was mistaken for her sister in a previous book and was accidentally bit, but was able to reverse the vampire process. Rayne, after a sequence of events in previous books is now a half vampire, half vampire slayer.

The biggest worry in Sunny's life at the moment is whether she should "go all the way" with Magnus. Rayne, more of the carefree, screw the world sister tells her to go for it, and after much internal deliberation, Sunny decides after the football game, this will be the night. Magnus has rented a hotel room, and he is ready! (Heck he is 1,000 years old..I bet he is!)

However, Sunny will not get her share of booty at the moment. Jane, the person who the coven has chosen to be Magnus' bloodmate picks this night to show up. Magnus needs someone to help run the coven, and Jane is selected from many applicants. There is to be a meeting of the covens in Las Vegas in a few days and it will be there where Jane will be officially inducted into vampire society and take over her duty to help Magnus. Magnus reassures Sunny that he still loves her and Jane is just there for business purposes only, but Sunny is hurt and confused.

She decides to take matters into her own hand and do some research on this Jane person. Jane supposedly is well educated from Oxford but after a few questions from Sunny, Jane becomes flustered and confused. Sunny gets a strong feeling that Jane is not who she says she is, but Magnus just thinks Sunny is jealous.

Using the excuse to visit their dad in Las Vegas, Sunny and Rayne fly out to crash the coven convention and prove to Magnus that Jane is a fraud.

Bad Blood is a cute, quick read that is sometimes silly, but entertaining nonetheless. This book definitely reads more towards a younger audience - I can see a young teen really enjoying this book. As an adult, it was cute, but not something I would automatically turn to or anticipate in the future.

Sunny definitely thinks like a seventeen year old, even though her actions and what she is allowed to do might portray someone older. She has a pretty fun, lighthearted outlook on life. Both her and Rayne seemed to have a lot of freedom, but of course the book would not have been as interesting if the parents had been hovering about. While the book is told in Sunny's point of view, I was more intrigues with Rayne and her "bad girl" charades. She used her fake idea to gamble the nights away, and she is definitely more the emotional, in your face character.

Sunny and Magnus are in love, yet in this book I never really felt love from Magnus. Please keep in mind I didn't read the first three, so I really don't have their history. In Bad Blood, Magnus treated Sunny more as a petulant child, rather than his girlfriend. Now there is a 983 year difference between them - HA. During her travels to Las Vegas, Sunny meets Jayden, a cute "emo" that she can't help but fall for, especially as Magnus is ignoring her taking care of Jane and coven business. I really enjoyed the dynamics' in their relationship and hope we have not seen the last of him.

The ending was a little over dramatic, and a bit too easily won by the good guys. The very end opens up an entire new direction for the series to head and many will be chomping at the bit to get the next book.

Rating: 3 1/2 Stars
on January 28, 2010
I was worried that due to the fact I hadn't read the first three books that I would have no idea what was going on...but no worries :o) I was also a little worried that with the premise this series would be a little bit too much like the Vampire Kisses series. The kids in the library L-O-V-E that series and it is definitely directed towards a younger crowd. Happily, Bad Blood is much more my style.

There is plenty to like here and plenty of depth to the story.....Magnus and the Blood Coven, Sunny and her twin Rayne (half vamp, half slayer), their mom and step-dad David (who works for Slayer, Inc.) and finally Sunny and Rayne's real dad who lives in Vegas with his "new" family.

It seems that there is more to every character than first appears and there are secrets everywhere! There are some great new characters in this book and I especially like Jayden, a guy she meets while investigating the shady and would be co-ruler with Magnus, Jane.

Sunny has a lot of up and downs and deals with Magnus not trusting her and she also confronts the issues she has regarding her dad and the fact that he ran out on her and Rayne. Maybe getting his side of the story is a good idea...

Oh! I almost forgot, most of the story is set in Vegas...I mean its Las Vegas need I say more?

A fun story with a few surprises and a twist that will keep readers of this series wanting more.

Appropriate for 7th grade and up!

Find out all about the Blood Coven series here:

[...]
on May 7, 2013
Review:

I am getting close to the end of the series. Ok halfway through anyways. Another good one is check off my list. This installment takes place in Vegas and is a lot of fun, we have jealousy, surprises, and of course some funny business going on and Sunny and Rayne's life just keeps getting more and more complicated.

Long Story Short:

Magnus heads to Vegas to a vampire convention (teehee) and his new candidate for co-ruler, Jane, tags along, things get a little complicated. Sunny has a jealous side that she has kept hidden pretty well. Sunny feels there is something strange about Jane. She doesn't seem to be on the up and up and this is cause for some action so she and Rayne decided to take a trip to Vegas to spy, I mean visit their father. In Vegas they get way more than they bargained for as secrets and more secrets are revealed.

My Thoughts:

I feel like my reviews for this series just keep getting shorter but it seems that there isn't much to say beyond giving the book away that I have not already said in my previous reviews. These book are way fun and I love them. I can't help it.

The author's writing style remains steady, the plot keeps thickening, we meet new characters and revisit old ones, and the book ends on a cliffhanger that totally made my draw drop.

This installment was a bit slower for me than the rest and I can't really place my finger on why. I love the setting, Vegas is always fun. I loved all the secrets and finding out more about the girls' father. It was crazy to see Sunny in such a fit over Magnus having a co-ruler. It would have made everything easier if Sunny had stayed a vampire, but the complications are what keep the stories interesting.

Rayne was up to her mood swings full blast in this book. She didn't like the truth about her father one bit and she was not afraid to show it. She did find ways to occupy her time and to get into a little bit of trouble along the way though. Same old Rayne for sure.

I enjoyed the book very much but it did feel like a bit of a build up book for the next installment. This one read a bit on the slow side for me compared to the other books. I definitely see a bigger story brewing and can't wait to find out more.

In the End:

Of course I loved it and will keep on reading this series.
on March 28, 2012
These twins...they barely get out of one problem when they're already getting sucked into the next! Bad cases of mistaken identity seem to be a theme in this series.

This next problem though, is for Sunny. Everything was going peachy with Sunny and Magnus...until a bomb was dropped on us all in the last book: Magnus is getting a blood mate! YES, A FREAKIN' BLOOD MATE! Oh my vamp!

But there is something off about Magnus's soon-to-be blood mate...and Sunny is smart enough to notice it. But doesn't Magnus believe her? Nooooo, he doesn't! -_-

So, in order to prove him wrong (and save his butt), Sunny goes all the way to Las Vegas where Magnus is attending a meeting...and where this chick will officially become Magnus's blood mate. She and Rayne go here and they meet their step-family...and there is a shocking detail their parents failed to mention to them...and when I say shocking, I mean SHOCKING! Well, it was to me, anyway.

Rayne agreed to help Sunny uncover this lady's (whose name I totally forgot!) dirty little secret while they're in Las Vegas. But Rayne becomes a little...no, not a little, Rayne becomes VERY preoccupied with Poker and the Slot machines. So, now left pretty much alone, Sunny sets out to discover the truth about Magnus's blood mate.

While Sunny is on the mission of saving her boyfriend, she meets a very sweet guy, Jayden, who she may or may not be falling for.

I don't know if I have said this before, but I don't like love triangles...in fact, I hate them! They just complicate things too much and sometimes I totally hate one of the guys and don't want the girl to end up with him and other times I like both of the guys but the girl cant keep them both, now can she? Of course, just because I don't like love triangles doesn't mean I wont read a book with them. If a book sounds good to me I'll read it, love triangle or no.

In this case, I adored Jayden and I already loved Magnus...so that's totally not cool. But I actually didn't really mind this one, I mean, Magnus was being a total jerk-face and Jayden was there for her, so yay. And the million dollar question is...will Sunny be able to save Magnus while trying to not fall for Jayden?

Another character I really liked was their little sister Stormy. She was just adorable and very likable! I really hope to see more of her in future books!

One thing that bothered me, though, was the ending. I usually love twist endings, but this twist ending seemed a bit much...but it was still pretty shocking for me, so I guess its not all bad. I like being surprised (most of the time, lol)!

[...]
on August 21, 2011
I love Mari Mancusi's Blood Coven series so it came as no surprise that I liked this one just as much as the others. They are all so light and funny and I adore the sisters! It is great that Mancusi goes back and forth between the sisters points of view for each book. I enjoy getting to read their hilarious adventures! They have a strong bond with one another and I delight in seeing them work together in every book to help solve the others problems. If you haven't yet tried the Blood Coven series, I highly recommend that you do!

Sunny and Rayne are at it again in Bad Blood. In Bad Blood, Sunny in the narrator. Sunny's boyfriend Magnus is being forced to take a blood mate and Sunny can't do anything to stop it. When she meets Jane, his future blood mate, she is instantly suspicious. Sure, it may just be jealousy at first but when she begins to question Jane, she discovers that Jane may not be the person that she claims to be. This leads Sunny and Rayne on an adventure to Las Vegas where they investigate Jane, and in the process, discover much about her dad and his family. Sunny and Rayne definitely have their work cut out for them in Bad Blood.

Bad Blood is just the type of read I need after reading a heavy story. It is so light and hilarious! Sunny and Rayne always get themselves into trouble when they are together and I love it! Sure, some of the things they do are a bit unrealistic, but it somehow works for the storyline. They have such a strong bond with one another and even though they fight, they still come through for each other in the end.

Bad Blood isn't a phenomenal story, but it is funny, sweet, and enjoyable. I know what I am getting into when I start a book in the Blood Coven series! I don't have to over think anything and can just sit back and enjoy the ride. Don't miss out on Mari Mancusi's Blood Coven series! You won't regret giving the series a shot!
VINE VOICEon March 26, 2011
Since coincidence makes the world go round, a friend bought me the first three Blood Coven novels as a Christmas present a few weeks before I received BAD BLOOD. I'm happy that the series has been recovered, since the original covers were cute but lacked homogeniety. As for BAD BLOOD itself, I'm glad it focuses on Sunny rather than Rayne.

I'm not gonna lie; Rayne annoys me. I've always been a member of at least one subculture, but I have loyalties to a variety of groups. This usually leads to people claiming I'm not a real "_". And Rayne is one of those people. You've got to fit into her idea of what the subculture is, no deviations. And if you aren't a member, then you're contemptible. (She did get called out for it in Girls That Growl (A Blood Coven Vampire Novel), which makes me really happy.)

BAD BLOOD has my favorite book setting: Las Vegas. Sunny's boyfriend Magnus is required to blood a coruler, and Jane Johnson has been chosen. Now they have to go to a vamp convention in Vegas. But Sunny is suspicious of Jane, and takes the opportunity to visit her estranged father and his family. I enjoyed the family story and the mystery, but felt the romance was lacking.

The romance lacking, however, is a trend in the Blood Coven books. It got worse in GIRLS THAT GROWL and BAD BLOOD. The main couples treat each other badly, fight about it, then make up quickly in the end. I have trouble buying it. Instead of being a great love story, it feels like Mari Mancusi is afraid to break the characters up.

Once more, Mancusi ends with a reveal that sets up the next book. And yes, I will keep reading. The books are fun enough, but Mancusi (like almost all authors) has rough edges. Hers just tend to be the rough edges that rub me the wrong way.

Review copy
From In Bed With Books
on September 29, 2011
Sunny and Rayne have finally got things back to normal - nearly , Rayne is a vampire vampire slayer and has a hot Vampire boyfriend Jareth and the perk is they can walk in the sun , Sunny is now back to normal as a mortal after her and Magnus found the cure to her vampire curse and she is now the girlfriend of Magnus who is the leader of the Blood Coven, all is set to be well and life back on track till it is discovered that Magnus has to take a new blood mate now that Sunny has been turned back to mortal. Enter Jane Johnson , looking like a model and a Rhodes scholar at that it seems that Sunny may be losing her Magnus. When jealousy strikes, Sunny and Rayne decide to do a bit of digging and it turns out that Jane isn't who she says she is and now Sunny and Rayne have a week to get Magnus and the rest of the Vampire world to see the truth before she is bitten and joined to Magnus for eternity.
So Sunny and Rayne jump a plane to Las Vegas where the union is to take place , here they discover and meet their dad's new family Heather and her daughter Crystal and their half-sister - get ready for it ...... Stormy, this made me chuckle.
We also get a surprise in this novel as it takes an unexpected turn as we discover the girls are also full-blooded fairies , I didn't think that this was going to work and I had my doubts about what it would flow like going from Vampires / Vampire Slayers / Werewolves and now Fairies but Mari Mancusi has written it perfectly and it definitely works.
Mari Mancusi's Blood Coven Vampire series has something for everyone and if you wish to have fun and become a member of their coven head to [...] and create a membership :)
Stay Tuned for Book #2 Stake That and Book #5 Night School.