5.0 out of 5 stars Great insight into artist's process
Published 20 months ago by Bob Clyatt

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good first half
I enjoyed the first half of this book very much. It was interesting hearing about how Fischl grew up and his rough relationship with his mom. I also enjoyed the following: Time at CalArts; Development as an artist; How he came upon his narrative style; Move to New York and rise in the art world. There are a lot of great tidbits for artists and art aficionados –...
Published 4 months ago by Daniel Holland

5.0 out of 5 stars Great insight into artist's process, May 15, 2013
This review is from: Bad Boy: My Life On and Off the Canvas (Hardcover)
Bought the book after seeing the WSJ and FT reviews and have to say it is a great artist's read. I am particularly drawn in by his description of what it's like to be an artist swimming against the tide, finding your unique contribution and voice, navigating the creative tsunami. It is very hard to find this process discussed well by a successful artist. His writing is razor-sharp insightful. Either it's great editing, great thinking on his part or some combination of both but I highly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, especially the first half, June 8, 2013
Page H. Thompson (Rosemont, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bad Boy: My Life On and Off the Canvas (Hardcover)
This book, like Steve Martin's excellent "An Object of Beauty", reinvigorated my interest in art and painting while simultaneously highlighting issues in the "art market". The book made me appreciate some of my favorite Eric Fischl paintings like "Bad Boy" or "A Woman Posessed" even more. I thought his takes on the YBA artists and on some of the great Italian masters were right on the mark. I found the earlier part of the book to be more interesting - gripping actually - as he described the long process of coming to a realization of what kind of artist he was. While his current life and celebrity friends are moderately interesting, the second half of the book lacks the urgency, commitment, and struggle of the first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging and Honest, June 7, 2013
Intrigued by the WSJ review of this book, I downloaded it to my Kindle and virtually could not put it down. The chronological narrative is expertly written and literally seduces the reader to continue. The author is brutally honest about his strengths and weaknesses. He describes his relationships with family members, teachers, students, gallery owners, artists and friends. We learn what inspires him and how a painting or sculpture emerges from a concept to become a finished work of art. We share his triumphs and defeats, his successes and disappointments. After reading Keith Richards's autobiography Life, I understand how the Rolling Stones produce a recording. Bad Boy gives me the same grasp of how a brilliant artist works.

4.0 out of 5 stars Generous tell all of the NY centric art world, May 18, 2014
I have always admired Eric Fischl's narrative and figurative paintings, so I entered the book with an open mind. What I was surprised by was how generous his writing is. He wasn't hiding behind anything. For someone like me, an artist in San Francisco who both puts the NY art world on a pedestal and resents it's exclusive attitude I found it highly entertaining and pleasurable to see inside this world through his eyes. I also really enjoyed his accounting of finding his own style and themes both technically and emotionally. He is a very lucky man ,not just because he has been a financially and critically successful artist but because he is surrounded by a warm and supportive community.

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting flawed work, December 2, 2013
I really loved the book "The Greek house" by Christain Brechneff. The writing was wonderful and insightful into the mind of the artist, his relationships with people and his art. When I read the blurb about "Bad Boy", I thought it might be similar.
It's quite a different book but a good read nonetheless. The writing style is very straight forward, and interesting when he gets into what makes an artist, the mind set that is necessary to create good art, and put it on canvas.
When you read the book, its easy to see great artists get to be who they are, and why it's such a grueling process.

What I would have liked to have seen a little more of, is his process dealing with his dysfunctional growing up and some insight into how he was able to translate that insight back into his own psyche after being able to put it down in his art.

Also, he spent a lot of time talking about other artists and where they were in the process of developing their craft. If the reader was an insider to these other artists, it would have been interesting to hear that. But for the rest of us, the author spent too much time with this type of information before getting to the good stuff about his own process, more about the women he had relationships with and how they affected his artistic career and life.

Fischl does a good job in explaining about the effects his individual canvases had on critics and are galleries ,and what his process was in creating the works to begin with. And hearing about his work, made me go on line to see some of his paintings. I did make me wonder how many other artists' work is really about themselves and their lives. It would be interesting, indeed to see what would happen if Fischl was to get to a place where his work was not caught up in his own story and hooked into universal themes that each of us could relate to.

With all that said, worth the read but a little slow going in parts with some great insights into the mind of an artist and the life process he went through to get there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Eric on Eric, August 13, 2013
It's hard to write a memoir without coming across as a self-absorbed, narcissistic blowhard. But Eric Fischl has a few things going for him. First of all, he had a bipolar mother who gave him subject material for a life-time. Mama' nudity surfaces again and again in his paintings and creates a background for an adolescent's psychological and emotional chaos. And these themes translate into
terrific art. The rawness of his emotions appears frequently in his early paintings and is mirrored by the crudeness of his brush.

The giant beach scenes are also memorable. His brush becomes more confident and his subject matter less personal but still we recognize the awkwardness, the insecurity, and the conflicts. Eric creates narratives that we can all understand.

His development from awkward and confused son to ambitious, successful artist makes a good story. He tells it well and honestly. But then came the fall. His painting became slick, his subject matter exotic, his words defensive. He tries to persuade us that figurative art is the most important art; that all other art fails in comparison. Unfortunately, his later paintings undercut his argument. They're too slick, too professional, redundant. And redundant describes the last chapters of his book.

4.0 out of 5 stars artist exposed, July 19, 2013
This review is from: Bad Boy: My Life On and Off the Canvas (Hardcover)
Eric Fischl has exposed his life and his thoughts and actions in this very revealing book. He is brave and yet still filled with humility. His explanations of the rationale behind many of his works helped me a great deal to understand them. I must admit that I did not "get" many of his paintings in the past..especially his early ones for which he became so famous. His best quality is his enormous sense of drive to make it. The book was easy to read..I could not put it down and I recommend it to anyone who is interested in the psyche of an artist or of any human being going through the trials and tribulations of life in this society. Kudos to Eric for not wanting to be categorized or pigeonholed into the style of art that was popular at the time. After reading his book, I can now understand his work a bit better and I have a new appreciation of him as an individual.

4.0 out of 5 stars An artist assesses his life, October 31, 2014
This Autobiography seems to be an honest assessment of the artist toward his life and art. He admits mistakes, at least in his life, and tells how his life informs his work. There are excepts at the end of the chapters from his family and friends to let the reader know what their point of view of that time/episode was. This lends more credibility to the book than would otherwise exist, especially when some of the views are divergent from Eric Fischl's, such as his big argument with David Salle. Some parts were a little drawn out, Some things he did were less than admirable, but overall it was a good book, written in a personable style. I really enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite artists, May 27, 2014
Such a good book. The artist doesn't seem to hold much back either in his work methods or personal life. Use of photography in figurative work especially interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest and Informative, April 1, 2014
I thought Mr. Fischl was very honest and open about his career in the fine art field. Great information about the way things work in that business. It made me think about the way I work. I think any serious artist should at least read this book.

Bad Boy: My Life On and Off the Canvas
Bad Boy: My Life On and Off the Canvas by Eric Fischl (Hardcover - May 7, 2013)
$26.00 $17.26