5.0 out of 5 stars As we say in glorious South Philly...
...frickin' heelarious! I saw this in my local bookstore and was laughing so hard, I had to buy it on the spot (instead of waiting and ordering from Amazon, of course). I laughed all the way home, causing my fellow subway riders to scoot away from me, but I didn't care. Sometimes a picture really is worth a thousand words... Highly recommended.
Published on January 27, 2005 by Aliza Mansolino

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
comments on pictures were too 'adult' for my grandson.
Published 1 month ago by J Brew

5.0 out of 5 stars As we say in glorious South Philly..., January 27, 2005
This review is from: Bad Cat: 244 Not-So-Pretty Kitties and Cats Gone Bad (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars For anyone who appreciates cats with the 'tude., October 29, 2004
Niki (Franklin, TN) - See all my reviews
This is not your average "oh isn't that sleeping kitty precious" book. This collection of cat candids explores the very depth of the charming malevolence and contempt exhibited by all felines. Each page has a hysterical photograph of a cat exhibiting his or her true personality, a caption/quote from the cat, the cat's name and age, and the cat's hobby. After the photographs themselves, the captions and hobbies are the funniest parts of the book.

This book is for any cat lover who loves the fact that their cat isn't the personality-less slobbering sycophant (like dogs can be) and suspects that their cat really does dream about big things like, say, taking over the world or committing acts of mass destruction just for the heck of it. I know my cats sure do.

It's hard to read this book without laughing like a moron, so keep that in mind. So far, I have bought three copies to give as gifts, and I'm already planning on buying more. I don't know how the author (who doesn't actually own any cats of his own) can capture the thoughts of the cats so well, but he certainly seems to be able to read their minds.

This book was assembled of owner-submitted pictures by the webmaster of the [...] website. Anyone left wanting more after reading "Bad Cat" should check out this site.

5.0 out of 5 stars For One and All!, December 3, 2004
My wife is one of those deluded "cat persons." If anything ever happens to me, she'll be the senile old widow who lives in a filthy bungalow with 237 cats, dies, and gets eaten by them. I'm a dog person, the kind of fellow who likes jokes about using the cat to mop out the toilet.

Yet, WE BOTH LOVE THIS BOOK. That says it all. Love cats or hate 'em, you will adore this volume. It's fun. creative, and well-assembled. GO GET IT--NOW!!!!! It will make a nice gift for anybody!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gift Idea, November 23, 2005
Christina M. O'Dean "Crue O'Dean" (Marietta, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
I bought nine copies to give out at Christmas time. This is a perfect stocking stuffer or general gift idea. This book had me laughing so much I had to put it down because my sides were hurting.

This is for people who love or even (dare I say) hate cats.

4.0 out of 5 stars My cat does, in fact, hate you., October 11, 2005
Jim Edgar, Bad Cat (Workman, 2004)

By now, I don't think there's anyone who has an Internet connection who hasn't heard of mycathatesyou. But there are still some remote places on the planet where there are no Internet connections, much less broadband (for example, Missouri). For those poor, unfortunate souls, Jim Edgar, the supreme guru of mycathatesyou, has distilled two hundred forty-four of the site's most wanted, given them captions, and turned them into this small, hilarious book.

Pictures of cats who look like they want to kill you are relatively commonplace, and have been ever since someone decided that trying to photograph a cat was a good idea. Edgar, however, has a knack of putting captions with the pictures that induce laughter. (As in, out-loud, make-people-on-the-street-look-at-you-funny laughter.) The captions are what turn this from a work of unbearable cuteness into the greatness it is. Love cats, hate cats, cower in fear from them because they bring on asthma attacks, you will love this. ****

5.0 out of 5 stars A great laugh at the cat's expense..., March 26, 2005
OK... This isn't so much of a "reading" book review as it is a review of a book that is laugh-out-loud funny... Bad Cat by James Edgar.

This is a small book (in size, not necessarily in pages) that show pictures (244 of them) of cats in humorous or outrageous poses. Edgar adds captions to them that take the book from "that's funny" to "you've GOT to see this!". These are not your typical cute cat pictures you'd see in some calendar or coffee table book. No, these are photos like...

A guilty-looking cat next to a naked Barbie doll with the caption "She was naked when I came in."

A disgusted cat stretched out on the piano keyboard - "I told you -- nobody wants to hear Billy Joel."

The cat laying next to what looks like a dead squirrel - "I think the play date's over..."

Yes, I have a warped sense of humor...

This is one of those books that will take you about 15 minutes to read, but you'll probably laugh more in that 15 minutes than you have all day. If you easily offended by semi-off-color humor or if you're a cat lover who can't take a joke, then you'll probably alternate between "that's funny" and "that's cruel". But if you don't fall into either of those two categories, this is time well spent to have a little fun...

4.0 out of 5 stars Smart and Funny Kitties, March 18, 2005
Pictures of kitties (apparently rejected from the cat-a-day calendar people), with captions, names, ages, and hobbies. Mostly hysterically funny, but there were a few disturbing ones (cat in microwave I thoroughly disapprove), and the prostitution jokes were old on the first one. I also felt sorry for the grossly obese and the dressed-up kitties. But most of the captions are what make you laugh in correlation to the picture of unsuspecting cat(s).

5.0 out of 5 stars If I stop laughing long enough to write..., December 22, 2004
I have been buying regularly from Amazon since 1999, and this is the first time I have ever been driven to write a recommendation. I just bought 2 copies of this book for relatives for Christmas. Both have owned their own real Bad Cats, as have I (she went by Anna the Terrible.) I got the box today, and gently cracked one copy open to see what it was like inside. By page 49, I must have laughed out loud at least 10 times. Not much in life will crack me up when I'm sitting in my dining room by myself. This book does. Let me give you a glimpse into one page, the aforementioned page 49: the photo shows only a glimpse of the hind legs of a tabby, with the rest buried inside a pool table pocket. The caption reads, "I found my drink." Under the photo are the cat stats: NAME: Laverne. AGE: 8. Hobby: Foosball. There is a lot of crazy tweaked-out wit packed in these well-designed pages. Trust me on this, you will laugh. Oh yes, you will... If not, you are hopeless, or perhaps, catatonic. If you only have had Saintly Cats, this book will show you the Dark Side of cat-dom. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marmaduke isn't funny, I hate Heathcliff, and Garfield is pure tedium. But this book rocks., July 20, 2005
I picked this up at a grocery store and started flipping through. I generally don't like "animal books" unless they're informative, but I found myself snickering and had to edge into the aisle before people started giving me funny looks. Each cat has a one line biopic and almost every one of the pictures and captions is funny. Hitchcock age 8, a creamy brown and white Siamese mix, lists his hobby as "Tracking down my biological father." There's also Mike, who in addition to having a thing for golden retrievers ("big dumb blondes") likes candlepin bowling. What the heck is candlepin bowling? And yet another lists "Puppetry of the ancients." I had to giggle. The humour is just so oddball that it was right up my alley.

At anyrate, in terms of gift books and quick pick-me-ups, this is a winner and I'm giving it the full five stars for its genre. It's a perfect present for a coworker, a sick friend, a "sick" friend, and cat lovers who don't take themselves too seriously. If you enjoy this book, you might also be amused by The Dog Owner's Manual: Operating instructions, troubleshooting tips, and advice on lifetime maintenance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quill Award nominee - for good reason!, October 17, 2005
My neighbors came over with this book in hand. They were laughing so hard I gaped at them nonplussed. When they left I looked up the book online and found it was nominated for the Quill Award. (Jon Stewart from the Daily Show won.)

I picked up a copy of the book at a local bookstore and I'm so glad I did. No, it's not about the feline mystique, a sour reviewer's complaint. But, Bad Cat is a gem in disguise.

The book is about Jim Edgar's edgy, goofy, Far Side sense of humor. I celebrate it! The quirky, offbeat photographs make the captions all the more hilarious. I even keep a copy in my car. Edgar is a genius at whacky, unconventional humor. Thank you for riotous laughter!

Bad Cat: 244 Not-So-Pretty Kitties and Cats Gone Bad
Bad Cat: 244 Not-So-Pretty Kitties and Cats Gone Bad by Jim Edgar (Paperback - October 15, 2004)
$9.95