Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bad Company
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 7, 2006
Well, I received this a few days ago and went ahead and spun it last night. Once again Steve Hoffman has done a classic piece of music justice. I think it sounds wonderful. Sure, it doesn't have the sound quality of something recorded today, but that's not what I want from a favorite from 1974.

Anyway, out of curiosity I pulled out my copy of Bad Company that was remastered by George Marino and did a quick comparison with the Audio Fidelity disk. This comparison was conducted using a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista SACD player plugged into a Creek OBH 11 Headphone amp powering a set of Sennheiser HD 650 headphones.

My thoughts?

When the regular CD was remastered the engineers boosted the bass frequencies a bit and added some compression/limiting. The result is a louder CD with sound that is punchier and warmer than what's on the mastertape. The reverb on Paul Rodger's voice is more forward as is some of the distortion inherent in the recording. This doesn't sound bad per say--just different.

The Audio Fidelity gold disk has somewhat greater dynamics, and I noticed that some of the cymbal crashes jumped out a bit--as they would in real life. This makes for a livelier presentation. There also seemed to be a bit more space between each of the musical instruments, but this was slight.

All-in-all, my preference is for the Steve Hoffman mastering. Your mileage may vary.

Now if only Steve could get his hands on Thick As A Brick (the whole thing this time) and some of the Zeppelin catalogue.
on June 14, 2007
First of all, I love this album. If you have the original plain Jane version then this Audio Fidelity version will definitely sound better but it is different. It wasn't the night and day difference I thought it was going to be but it is truly a better experience. The first thing I noticed was that the drums had better imaging and presence and the bass lines were much more defined, less "muddy" than on the original release. This is a much more forward presentation of the album than before and as another reviewer mentioned it sounded like a live recording in that you can hear the band members talking before each song and the sound stage of the recording has more presence. Guitar strings have more weight, snare drum is more snappy, cymbals are more crisp with a little more decay. The only thing I noticed as a negative was that there was a lot of original tape hiss from the master tapes that you would think they could have removed. Once the songs start you can't really hear the hiss but it was noticeable. The hiss was not on all songs. A great comparison if you have the original version is track 8, Seagull. If you are buying this CD for the first time then definitely buy this mastering and especially if your audio system can resolve the extra detail. I almost forgot to mention that I was only listening to the "standard" non HDCD layer of this disc. A lot of the other positive reviews were commenting on the HDCD encoding of this disc. I love HDCD recordings. My Tom Petty Playback box set is in HDCD and wow what a difference it makes. The current system I was listening to this recording on was a Marantz SA8001 SACD/CD player, Marantz PM7001 Integrated Amp, Richard Gray Pro 400 Power Conditioner, Audio Quest Type 8 speaker cable, and Diamondback analog interconnects. If you are looking for a $1000 SACD/CD player then be sure to check out the Marantz. Very detailed and sweat sounding after is warms up. Hope this review helps you buy this album (or not).
on February 24, 2006
Buy this CD while you can. It will never sound this good again. Obviously, if you are checking out this item you already know the songs as the majority of this album has been played on classic rock radio for years.

You're curious if sounds good. This CD was done by the same people who released DCC discs during the 1990's. The sound is incredible, it sounds like you are in the same room with the band. Steve Hoffman did a great job with this CD. We can only hope they will release the entire Bad Company catalog.

Also, check how much the CDs they released by Jethro Tull (Aqualung, Original Masters) or Paul McCartney are going for on ebay and you will know this CD will be selling for over $50.00 due to the limited production. Buy it while you can!
on September 20, 2014
The album stands as a 5 out of 5.
Unfortunately the seller sent me the cd version rather than the vinyl version but it was all good, they refunded my money and let me keep the cd. I gaveit to my nephew who is 10 and now he's growing to be a fan of Bad Company.
on May 17, 2007
Back in the old days when albums just a little over 30 minutes long would still sell, Bad Company made an album that's become a classic rock staple and beloved by millions around the world. Now we get a very well designed mini lp replica sleeve version which not only very faithfully recreates the original lp in great detail but also has been very well remastered for an excellent sounding cd making it truly worthwhile to upgrade to this version and you'll want to chuck the other versions you have into the nearest bin. The sound quality is like night and day when I compared this to my previous unremastered cd which I have since sold to a used cd store. You also get all the lyrics in both English and Japanese in a 12-page booklet.

Although this album represents a debut for Bad Company the band name but it really isn't a debut for the band members which really are the remnants of Free and so this album sounds like an extension of that band but is still better quality overall than say "Fire and Water" but you could be forgiven if you mistook this band for Free. That aside, the songs here are good for the most part. "Ready For Love" is the strongest and most interesting track musically while I've read someone once who wrote that if you gave a room full of monkeys enough time, they'd compose "Can't Get Enough" but I guess that's the beauty of the track in that it's so damn simple but effective.

Overall, I just can't help but compare it with the other great rock bands around at that time and I can think of a quite a few with much stronger albums than this; "Not Fragile" by BTO comes quickly to mind and even Heart's "Little Queen" has got more interesting musical ideas but I guess timing is everything and the cool album cover helps...
on December 10, 2012
I love BAD COMPANY!!! Saw them in concert years ago. They were awesome. I think this was one of their best albums. I ordered this for a Christmas gift, seems it will be late. So it will be a birthday present instead. I just know both my son's will enjoy this album and I will have to get another copy of it. What a great group & album. Bunch of good tunes. Really need to sit back & listen to this one. :)
on March 12, 2006
This is well worth getting over the regular release. The stereo presence and snap of the drums is unbelievable on a regular system. Booklet is nice. I wish all CDs were this good. Nice job Steve Hoffman!!

This will be collector's item soon, also.
on August 27, 2006
This is a sweet recording. It made me cry the first time I put in this remastered version. I hope Hoffman decides to remaster "Run With The Pack".
on March 18, 2006
Bad Company's first and best album. I still remember hearing the original British LP playing in a little record shop in Houston Texas, before it was released in the USA. I was transfixed, and bought the store copy. This disc has seen a couple of releases on CD, but neither sounded as good as that original British vinyl. Audio Fidelity, however, hit a home run with this release. Over a year was spent just locating the original master tapes, which were then lovingly transfered and remastered by Steve Hoffman, one of the best mastering engineers in the business. THIS DISC SOUNDS INCREDIBLE.

If you're a Bad Company fan, this gold disc is a must have.
on August 6, 2012
What can said about "Bad Company"? It was a smash when it was released and cemented the band as one of the "supergroups" of the 70s. It is by far their best album; sure there were other albums that produced some hits but I really don't care for playing any of them from beginning to end like I do this one.

What else? I think "Seagull" is under appreciated -- just Paul Rodger's voice and a guitar; be sure to give it a listen (ditto for "Silver, Blue, and Gold" off of "Run with the Pack").

It is their first and best album; so unless you're a die hard Bad Company fan or 70s rock aficionado, "Bad Company" and "10 from 6" are the only two Bad Company albums you really need in your collection.