4.0 out of 5 stars Testosterone in paper form.
Warning: this book will suck the estrogen right out of you. I would say it was the chronicles of manliness but some of the people covered are women who are apparently more manly than I can ever hope to be. My pregnant wife read this book and the baby spontaneously turned from a girl to a boy. Just sayin'.

The writing style is humorous and light, but...
Published on November 19, 2009 by Richard D. Holschen

3.0 out of 5 stars Curse ridden, juvenile, but a funny historical read.
Don't let your kids read this book unless they are in high school. The profanity in it is extreme. But as a history buff and a laid back guy this book is a pretty funny read. Some people take themselves too seriously, and this author doesn't! But reading about the men and women in this book was pretty interesting some of them I have never even heard of before buying this...
Published on October 10, 2011 by Svarog The Mighty

4.0 out of 5 stars Testosterone in paper form., November 19, 2009
This review is from: Badass: A Relentless Onslaught of the Toughest Warlords, Vikings, Samurai, Pirates, Gunfighters, and Military Commanders to Ever Live (Paperback)

The writing style is humorous and light, but admittedly it sometimes borders on juvenile. There are obvious embellishments (I've never actually seen someone crushed under the weight of testicles, but there are things on earth I haven't seen). However, I give the writing style a thumbs up because the author presented a lot of good history in a form that would even keep the attention of a 13 year old boy.

The author does have an odd fetish with faces. He mentioned "face" 105 times in the book, mainly accompanying words like "crush", "stab", or "burn." Oorah!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life (for the better), October 29, 2009
Attention Universe: BADASS: A relentless onlaught of the toughest warlords, vikings, samurai, pirates, gunfighters and military commanders to ever live is the greatest work of literature in the history of the written word.

#1: BADASS is very, very good. So good, it is as though Odin himself reached into Valhalla, chose the 40 best heros of history and penned their history into this wonderfully illustrated tome.

#2: After I purchased BADASS, I opened the book to the Library of Congress page. I was immediately slapped in the face by the sheer awesomeness of it. I was transported through history and witnessed, FIRST HAND, the amazing exploits of the legendary historic characters. Once I regained consciousness I actually read it.

#3: This book is so funny that I laughed until my nose bled. I got blood on the pages of the book (it seemed appropriate), but the blood was absorbed by the pages. I think the book was feeding on it.

#4: The information in this book is all historically accurate. And I should know. I work at a university.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, November 15, 2009
I love this book and the website! It is a great mix of real life and screen/literary badasses, told in a very entertaining, lively fashion. The style is such that you actually feel like the author is sitting in the room with you, telling the story and acting it out at the same time. Some of the real life historical people he mentions are seriously badass, performing such incredible acts of crazy courage that it seems foolhardy, and only sheer luck allowed them to be remembered as heroes and not fools. The website is a must - lots more stories and some are expanded over the book (one personal fave - Voytek the soldier bear). Can't wait for a volume 2!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can a bibliography be badass? If so, this book's is., April 1, 2010
Bart King (Portland, Oregon) - See all my reviews
While this book's considerable merits have been praised by a variety of reviewers, I want to point out something about it that is easily ignored yet most exemplary:

Its bibliography.

Author Ben Thompson has clearly done his research. His list of sources stretches for a glorious ten pages, thus granting his work a credibility that most nonfiction books for younger readers lack.

This, combined with the fact that reading this book will make even the most thin-blooded milquetoast reach for his short sword, means that this book rocks like Wolf the Quarrelsome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a history book for teenaged boys!, April 6, 2010
I love reading history books, as long as they were not approved by the Texas Board of Education(because then they aren't worth a damn, apparently). However, I understand that not everyone shares my love of historical events. A lot of history books are pretty dry, at best. At worst, they are downright boring. This is not that kind of a book. This is one of the coolest history books I've ever read. I had originally bought it for my nephew, but once I actually started perusing the pages I realized that his mother would have a massive coronary if she saw the language. Even if said language adds to the ambience.

The author, Ben Thompson, runs a site called [...]. He searches the history books for badasses. Not all of the badasses are men, nor are they all from the 20th century, which is refreshing. Thompson relates the stories with gusto, like a teenaged/college aged boy would describe a videogame boss fight to his friends--and this generates interest. The stories of these people maintain that interest. The humor seals the deal. There may be a bit of 'embellishment' in relating the stories, but this doesn't detract in the least. And each chapter is only at most five pages long--perfect for a short attention span or when you only have a minute here or there to read. So of course, I read the whole thing in a couple of hours, with a pause here and there.

This might be a good book for a person who doesn't read a lot to improve their reading skills with a high interest book. It would be perfect for a reader who has trouble with maintaining attention when reading. In short, this is a perfect book to encourage reading in older teenaged boys. The language is really the only thing I think that a parent might take issue with, but since the profanity is a part of the schtick and not specifically gratuitous, I wouldn't have a problem if my 15 year old decided to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars History teacher that loves it, January 4, 2010
M. Perry (Huntington, WV) - See all my reviews
I am a history teacher and usually am pretty picky about what I read. I saw this book at my local bookstore and thought it looked really interesting. While the writing is juvenile I find that is what gives the book its greatest appeal. Granted I am a young guy that gets most of the jokes and the words used but I think that this would be an awesome book for some high school kids to read. I would not most likely let my kids read it because of the language but it speaks to them. It teaches the content greatly and I learned about a lot of different badasses that I have never bothered with learning in the past. I really don't see much of a problem with the book at all other than he loves to use face bashing analogies which get a little old but it didn't detract from the book. Overall I would say anyone willing to take a little humor with their history would love this book. If you are looking for what us history lovers are accustomed to reading then you should run away fast!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but accurate?, April 14, 2010
OK, so I don't have the book in front of me, so I can't be specific. BUT, there are quite a few historical inaccuracies in this book. Other than that, it's a fun read and made me want to learn more about some of the BADASSES in the book. I am going to go by a ghurka knife and ship off to Iraq tomorrow! Seriously, if you're looking for history, start here, then go read the real stories. There's enough truth to acknowledge the true badassery of all the dudes (and badass chicks) in this book. A fun read!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is... excuse me... bad ass, June 19, 2013
P (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Put simply, this is a book where the author writes about 40 badasses from history, and he does so with colorful language, pop references and plenty of humor. I enjoyed it thoroughly not only because it was entertaining, but also because I learned a lot about various historical figures and events. I found myself doing quite a bit of historical research. The fact that various Sikh badasses showed up in the book was an even bigger bonus. I fully intend to purchase the second book he wrote. This isn't for everyone -- in fact I would guess that he's around my age (born 1972) based on his pop references -- but the best thing about this book is that you can simply check out his website [...]and know whether or not you will like the book, because they're the same writing style. 9/10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Making history fun and hilarious!, June 10, 2012
Chris McGinnis (Livonia, MI, USA) - See all my reviews
This is how history (or anything, really) should be! It gives history's greatest figures new life through a reasonably detailed overview in a very fun and informative way. Allowing people to laugh at such things makes it easier to read and also makes you want to keep reading it! Five stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kick Ass book, February 17, 2012
This review is from: Badass (Kindle Edition)
This book is so awesome!!! I laughed so hard and learned a thing or 2...It makes you want to be BAD ASS!!! Being a woman I must keep the thoughts of being bad ass to myself( but bad ass I wanna be) one can only dream. MUST READ!!

Rate and Discover Movies