4.0 out of 5 stars Greasier than you're used to but safer than you're used to.
Published on May 23, 2011 by Katherine Scoleri

3.0 out of 5 stars But it is easy to apply when on the beach because it is ...
I bought 3 of this sunscreen to go to Mexico for a couple of weeks during the summer. I had a 6 month old and a 3 year old by that time. They suntan a little bit with the sunscreen but not burnt. They got a little bit red. It is hard to apply when it is a little bit hard because of the air conditioner. But it is easy to apply when on the beach because it is not as thick...
Published 4 months ago by Philip Hornstra

4.0 out of 5 stars Greasier than you're used to but safer than you're used to., May 23, 2011
Katherine Scoleri (Peachtree City, GA United States) - See all my reviews
If you aren't accustomed to using natural sunscreens then your immediate reaction would be to not like this sunscreen. Using natural ingredients and making a sunscreen safe tends to mean that it will be greasier than you are used to. However, this is one of the safest sunscreens on the market. Competing with a little greasiness vs endocrine disrupting chemicals is a no brainer for me. I use this on my kids for days spent in the pool since it is more water resistant than many natural sunscreens thanks to the "greasiness".

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this sunscreen!, September 10, 2011
Despite other negative reviews, I purchased this item because it is certified all natural and rated very well on other sites as one of the best all natural sun protection for babies. I was a little skeptical after reading some reviews about the reactions by some customers children. I however, have not experienced anything of that nature. I love this product. A little goes a Long way and once set for a bit, is not at all greasy. I take my 10 month old out running with me most days of the week and she has stayed as white as can be all summer. Her feet, legs, arms and face, are often exposed to the sun with never a burn or any coloration. This small bottle has lasted me all summer, with being outside just about every day; running, beach, pool, etc. I am a repeat customer of this product and recommend it to all my new mom friends!

5.0 out of 5 stars It can be lumpy but SHOULDN'T be gritty, April 23, 2013
ReBecca (Rockford, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Badger Baby Sunscreen Cream - SPF 30 - All Natural & Certified Organic,2.9 fl.oz (Health and Beauty)
**Update to the review below: I've increased the rating from 3 to 5 stars. I contacted Badger Balm's customer service, and they were incredibly helpful. They mailed a new tube to me with this year's updated formula, and I got the new tube literally within two days of contacting customer service. The new formula is neither lumpy nor gritty, goes on more easily, and doesn't have the weird "fresh tobacco leaf" smell that my first tube had. I've been using this product on my baby and myself. It's actually helped clear up our eczema, and I swear my skin has never been softer. He played in the pool for longer than the recommended 40 minutes, and still didn't so much as tan. One thing I will say is that the people who burned when they spent all day at the beach may not have been reapplying every 40 minutes as the manufacturer recommends. The minerals that block the sun will rub off with your towel and will start to wash away with sweat and water. That's because this is a safe product that sits on top of the skin rather than a more toxic product that would leech into your bloodstream. Logic tells you that, after toweling off or sweating or swimming, you should reapply.**

I've heard wonderful things about this product, so I was surprised to find that this product was gritty since it's designed for babies. I'm currently waiting for a response from their customer service regarding an exchange because, in fact, it shouldn't be gritty. I went to the manufacturer's web site and read the FAQs page, which said this:

If my sunscreen has some clumping, will it still work?
Yes. Temperature variations during shipping occasionally cause CLUMPING in Badger sunscreens and this does not affect the sunscreen's safety or level of protection. We tested our sunscreens with and without clumping to ensure protection. In most cases, the clumping is caused by the crystallization of Shea and Cocoa Butter. This is similar to what might happen in a chocolate bar if it is exposed to extreme temperature variations. When you apply the sunscreen to your skin you will feel them melt right in.

***Note: If the little clumps are really HARD and GRITTY, they may be the Zinc Oxide particles clumping together, and this could potentially affect the level of protection you are receiving. If this is the case, please check the expiration date to ensure that your product is still good. If your product has not expired, but exhibits the hard and gritty clumping, please contact our customer service team for a full refund or to exchange products.***

New Formulas! We have removed the Shea and Cocoa Butter from most of our new 2013 sunscreen creams to avoid further clumping.

4.0 out of 5 stars Used on 4 month old w/doc approval - works great!, August 15, 2014
We first used this on our 4 month old. The packaging says for "6 months and up", but we talked to our pediatrician and she approved it for use on a trip to Palm Springs.

We used the sunscreen in combo with plenty of hats and lots of shade. Our daughter is very fare skinned and melanoma runs in my family, so I am very cautious when it comes to sun. The sunscreen did it's job and she returned home as pale as when we left! We have since used it over the summer for her (6-8 months), and it has continued to keep her safe.

The pain with this sunscreen is that it is not the easiest to rub in, so she usually ends up white, streaky, and greasy - but I don't care that much given it's keeping her safe. She's still bald, so we even rub it on her scalp! It is a very herbal-y scent. It's not my favorite, but this is a more natural sunscreen so I didn't expect it to have that "Water Babies" smell we all know and love.

Overall this sunscreen has been great and it makes me feel secure knowing it doesn't contain dangerous chemicals her skin will absorb, but she'll still be safe from the sun's rays.

5.0 out of 5 stars Safe for Babies!, July 16, 2014
I like natural products on my babies. We looked up the chemical contents of each ingredient and found this to be among the best products, in terms of least damaging to your sweet baby's skin, on the market.

Before this, we used Episcential, which is also a great great product. But this just goes on better, without a whitening effect, and I feel like it gets rubbed in better. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Each one I tried I also tried on my face since I have SUPER sensitive skin and most sunscreens make my skin itch ..., August 17, 2014
I tried many sunscreens for my 1.5 y.o. this summer, most from the top of the list from EWG (think baby, that other australian one with a lizard on it, and neutrogena baby faces). Each one I tried I also tried on my face since I have SUPER sensitive skin and most sunscreens make my skin itch or burn. I've often gone with no sunscreen myself rather than deal with the discomfort. This was the **only** one that didn't bother my skin and that didn't turn my son's eyes red by the end of the day when I put it on his face. Yes, it is thick. No, I never manage to get it all rubbed in. Yes, he ends up with white streaks on his face. Yes, he is tan on his legs, but I think that might be because I'm not great about re-applying and his legs stick out from under the stroller sunshade, and let's face it it's tough to get a toddler totally covered. I do feel like it's heavy on my face and I sweat a little more with it's on, it's not great for daily use at the office that's for sure, but it's just fine for the playground and outdoor weekend outings. But I feel really good knowing that it's not irritating my kids skin or making his eyes uncomfortable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sunscreen, April 25, 2011
Tracy Taylor (La Jolla, California, US) - See all my reviews
This sunscreen is great, it's not too greasy and not hard to rub in well. I like that it is reviewed as safe by EWG.

5.0 out of 5 stars Liked it a lot!, August 23, 2014
I really liked this sunscreen. I'm happy that it's more natural than the other brands I've used. My daughter did get a little burned the first time we used it but that was only one application for about 2 1/2 hours in the sun. I've found that if I reapply at about 1 1/2 hours she doesn't get burned at all, just a little tan (she's usually very fair). She does look a little pale with the sunscreen on but it doesn't really bother me, it's not that bad. I don't think it's thick at all or hard to rub in like some other people are saying, I've had to rub in every brand of sunscreen I've ever had and I don't find this one anymore difficult. Oh and last but not least the smell. I'm very sensitive to smells. I wear unscented everything and can't even go near the perfume section in Macys. I don't have any problems with the scent of this sunscreen. It's not wonderful smelling but it's not strong or gross. I hope this helps : ) I'm ordering my second one right now

5.0 out of 5 stars The only sunscreen we use, February 10, 2014
We live in AZ (#2 for skin cancer in the world) and my little guy has very fair skin. This is the only sunscreen that we use, and we love it! A little bit goes a long way, and it does take a minute to rub in, but we've been very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this product, July 17, 2014
Love this product. It is hard to find a natural sunscreen that is sensitive to your skin and this is both. Highly recommend.