4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!
Love the design of this sandbox, keeps the neighborhood cats out but is not plastic!! It blends into the landscaping, too, as opposed to the green turtles! Ideal size for one child or two small children and easy to assemble. The hardware does seem a little on the flimsy side, but we installed the factory hardware and will replace as needed.

Edit 12/28/2012:...
Published on July 25, 2011 by BookLovin'Mom

3.0 out of 5 stars Pro's and Con
Published on January 28, 2011 by V. Schindeler

3.0 out of 5 stars Pro's and Con, January 28, 2011
V. Schindeler (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Badger Basket Covered Convertible Cedar Sandbox with Two Bench Seats, Natural (Baby Product)
As I began putting this together, I originally though, wow, finally something of high quality. The cedar planks are fairly thick. Large screws to hold it together, pretty easy to assemble. However, as I installed the final parts- the folding bench/top - I noticed that the screws holding the hinges on the top/bench that were pre-screwed in China were already stripped and very bent, resulting in a weakening of the back support. After a lot of tinkering, I was able to unscrew a couple of them (they are screwed in on an angle and extremely difficult to access, especially since they were bent)and replace them with a larger screw. Hopefully it will hold.

I recommend this unit on the whole, as I think it is pretty high quality but before assembly, check and replace the screws holding the hinges that were preassembled.

Comments about it being too small are just incorrect - this sandbox is quite large and will likely hold about 8 bags of sand. Plenty of room for my two kids.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hardware Issues Spoil Assembly, April 4, 2011
Barry Hanna (Atlanta, Georgia) - See all my reviews
I purchased this kit in order to save time because I wanted my grandson to have a comfortable play area. Our yard is mostly on hilly terrain. This appeared to be a quick solution. First and foremost, the hardware furnished, hinges, screws, etc., are very cheap. For just a few dollars more, quality could and should be improved. It was necessary to adapt some pieces from my own parts bin to assemble the sandbox. It works for the present, but when I have time I will replace every piece of hardware, otherwise the sandbox just won't last. It's especially difficult because cedar is very soft wood and doesn't take well to excessive threading and rethreading of screws, etc. One of the hinges, as received was bent so as to be totally unusable. Having said all that, the design is cleaver and attractive. It's just too bad the manufacturer dropped the ball so badly on some of the pieces. It's hard to imagine the management of this company can be the least bit proud of the overall quality impact of the substandard hardware.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, July 25, 2011

Edit 12/28/2012: after a full summer of use we did have to do some hardware upgrades. It's an inexpensive thing to do so it doesn't affect my overall rating, but given how short-lived the hinges were I'd recommend saving yourself some time and get heavier hardware right off the bat.

4.0 out of 5 stars New Hinges needed, May 12, 2013
Just like 80% of the previous reviews, I strongly suggest that you replace all 12 hinges with new, thicker hinges. Otherwise, this sandbox was super easy to put together. There is no bottom in this sandbox so I made sure to put down landscape fabric to prevent weeds from growing up in the sand. In doing so, when it rains the water will flow through the sand into the ground.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Sand Box For Toddlers, April 8, 2013
I purchased this sandbox for my grandchildren who live in the country and have many animals. We installed the box with landscape plastic on the bottom and then poured in the sand. When the children are not using the box, it is closed at the top (the seats convert to a cover). I also added a tarp so the sand can be kept dry. The children love the sandbox.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good design, Awful quality, June 24, 2011
I was searching for a decent sandbox for our daughter- I was going to make it but then I found this one, and was impressed with the design enough that I decided it would be easier and cheaper to buy it than make it myself. I even waited a few months while it was on back order. It arrived today, and I was exited to assemble it for her. I was wary as soon as I saw the made in China label on the box. The previous reviews are all correct- the hardware is awful, the hinges are made from tin that is closer to foil than a proper sheet stock, the screws that were pre-installed were all bent and sticking out, and the predrilled holes were off alignment. It went together after a bit of reworking things, but I think that I will have to completely disassemble this and replace any hardware. Unless you are willing to spend the time and money to do that, don't bother with this, the idea is great but it isn't worth the hassle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun, September 17, 2010
We love this sand box. My nephews and daughter (2 1/2) use it all the time. Someone had suggested to put a barrier on the bottom which we did and it has worked out wonderfully. Because it is not water tight we do have to cover it with a tarp when we know we are getting alot of rain otherwise a little water to the sand makes for better sand casttles. The size is great and the seats are comfortable even for adults. Enjoy, we sure are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Covered Convertible Cedar Sandbox, April 12, 2014
My grandson absolutely loves his sandbox....and the benches are great for Grandmas to sit and play with her grandchildren. Love It !

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy daycare children, December 26, 2013
My daycare children love it. So easy to open and close. there is enough space for 4 children to play together. We had no problem with putting it together or any of the hardware. Very very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars I will buy one for my second grandchild, October 26, 2013
My little granddaughter has played in this sandbox everyday after I set it up. The free shipping was extremely quick, just a few days. It took me probably 20 minutes to assemble. As they have two cats of their own, and several roaming the neighborhood my favorite feature is that the benches fold to make a full cover of the sandbox. My daughter loves the little bench seats. Compared to the tiny, plastic sandboxes featured in big box stores, this was a steal. I would highly recommend this product.