Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Badger Balm Lavender Sunscreen Cream- SPF 30 - 2.9 oz
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Size: 87mL/2.9 fl.oz|Change

on August 13, 2008
I picked a tube of this up for $10.99 at our local market after reading on cosmeticdatabase that it's one of the safest and most natural sunscreens on the market. It rated a 0, which is the safest rating.

It comes out of the tube thick and a little gritty, as others have mentioned, but I had no problem getting it to properly absorb into my skin. It takes an additional five or ten seconds to rub it in thoroughly, which smooths out of the consistency and dramatically reduces the "white face" effect. I'm not sure what the big deal is with taking a few extra seconds to rub it in; other reviewers sound like they're in a mighty hurry to rush out into the sun :)

I'm giving this 4 stars instead of 5 because I've only been using it for awhile. So far I like it a lot. The scent is mild (way more mild than most sunblocks I've used) and isn't medicinal at all on me, it doesn't leave me with a white/pale face, and so far it seems to provide excellent coverage. It does contain trace amounts of dimethicone, which is explained on the Badger web site; this single additive is widely used and is considered safe. Overall, this is probably one of the very best and safest sunblocks on the market.

Highly recommended, especially for those looking to reduce the number of industrial chemicals they're applying to their skin.
11 comment|186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 4, 2009
Badger SPF 30 is hands down one of the best sunblocks on the market. Those people who are panning it are doing so because they did not read the instructions; they used it like the stuff they buy at the drugstore - all the big brand-name products that cost a lot, say "apply thickly and let soak in", and don't do nearly the job of protecting your skin.

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. If you do, you will find this is the most effective sunblock you have ever used. It has NO odor, massages in quickly, leaving NO whiteness on the skin. The tiny amount necessary assures that this will be the least expensive sunblock you ever buy.

I'm a redhead with very fair skin and I am particular about reading labels and understanding how sunblocks work - this is the only sunblock I use any more.

And no, I neither work for, nor get money from, the Badger Company. They make a good product and I am happy to recommend it.
11 comment|175 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 22, 2012
First of all, I am in no way, shape or form, associated with Badger.

I am an environmental engineer working on a comprehensive coral reef study here in Hawaii, where I live. Our research has found that coral reefs are dying largely due to the amount of sunscreen chemicals that get in the water, from the skin of bathers at the beach. If you are planning to come to Hawaii, you should come in the next few years, since we've seen 50% of reefs die over the last 20 years.

When I was looking into sunscreens that I could personally wear that would be the least harmful, I found that the Badger website actually has one of the most significant research studies of the effects of sunscreen on coral reefs posted on their website. They list the chemicals cited in the study as most harmful to reefs, showing how none of the ingredients in Badger are on the list as contributors to coral reef deaths.

The consistency of it may feel different from other chemical laden sunscreens, as I've noticed several people's reviews saying. But to me, consistency isn't really that important when I think about the bigger issue. And the fact that Badger actually pays attention to the coral reef issue on their website, when others brands don't, to me says a lot about this company.

That's why I buy this product and spend the extra money. Hopefully if someone reads this and heads to Hawaii, they may feel the same way. Cheers.
on April 25, 2008
I bought this product online last year because NOTHING was working for my fair skinned 7 year old. no matter what the SPF on the bottle said, she would burn and her nose would blister. I read an article on ewg.org about SPF's not being advertised properly because of the chemicals in the sun screen actually counter acting it! insane, all this money blown for nothing. so I tried, one last time, and badger worked! I had no issues with it absorbing into her skin, but I had also been forwarned that a little goes a long way. she was able to enjoy her summer with no painful sunburn on her face! and no new freckles ;) I misplaced my sunscreen from last summer and am now getting ready to buy another one for the so cal sun.
on June 17, 2014
Had a question and a small issue with a previous order from Badger, and really questioned how much they cared about their customer base and product---I am happy to say that with many companies today that actually turn a blind eye, the answer is actually very much. After listening very intently, even after telling them I was considering switching to another brand (which I still haven't found anything better after looking a the EWG list) they helped inform me that IT'S BETTER TO APPLY 2 VERY THIN COATS THAN ONE THICK COAT to avoid the pasty white look (or focus on the SPF 15 product).

My family and I have used this product religiously for 3 years, and not one of us have ever gotten sunburn (my wife is more fairer skinned than I am, and we've vacationed in the tropics with this). This is actually even after not reapplying after a few hours, which is necessary for practically ALL sunscreens on the market!

I've gone through the WHOLE EWG Iist, and scrutinized the products & ingredients. One thing I do really usually appreciate is when reviewers provide alternatives in lieu when dealing with a specific product, but given that the ingredients in this item are ABSOLUTELY to prevent overexposure to UVA & UVB, without hormone disruption from products that don't rely on reflective measures, I can't find another product to displace Badger, especially with the many options they have (SPF 15,30, scented, & unscented). --- Just another satisfied customer.
on September 12, 2009
It wasn't until recently that I realized that the skin products that we have been sold on to protect us from excessive sun exposure were nothing but a poor excuse to sell us something useless. What's the point of selling an inferior product? To give us a false sense of security that we did something right for ourselves? Well, no more. I constantly fear for my children and, hopefully, like most parents, I want what is safest for them. I came across the Badger Balm on the ewg.com (environmental working group) website which had a rating for sunscreens. On that list, Badger was one of the more effective ones for the job and contained the least amount of toxic materials. So, it not only protected well from both UVA and UVB radiation, but it also did not expose the user to harmful chemicals. A double plus. Got it, off to the beach for a week full of daily sun exposure. There was not a single problem the whole week. Everyone's skin held up well with not a single case of redness. It held up after hours of water exposure. It held up after hours of perspiring on a bike ride. It protected us the whole day. You could tell it was still on your skin because the water or your sweat was still beading on your skin. Yes, it is hard to apply but I considered that a plus because it kept you conscious of the dangers of excessive sun exposure. Yes, it has a mild lavender aroma to it. Yes, if you did not take the time to spread it well it made you look like a ghost for the first hour or two, but that is a small price to pay to prevent skin cancer, sunburn and, more importantly, at least for others, premature wrinkling of your skin. This has found a place in the activity bags of every member of the family.
on May 17, 2009
I love this sunscreen. It smells great and makes your skin soft. If you're outside and sweat a lot, it doesn't sting your eyes. And according to the Environmental Working Group, it's one of the very top sunscreens in a test that measures both how well it screens against the sun and how safe it is. (The vast majority of sunscreens have toxins in them. Check it out. [...]) It can make you look pale, but if you let it warm up on your skin it becomes thinner. Then it spreads better so you don't inadvertently put too much on and end up looking like Casper. That's my tip.
on September 1, 2010
After having done a fair amount of research, looking at a number of consumer websites, this sunscreen really seems to be the safest stuff on the market.

It doesn't have any of the chemicals that are known to (in certain conditions) increase the chances of cancer, and the main ingrediant - zinc oxide - is present in mostly 200 nm sizes or larger. That's a good thing, b/c anything 30 nm or smaller can be absorbed by the skin, and could potentially be absorbed by deeper tissues as well.

They have gone through great lengths to make sure that the product is engineered to be the absolutely safest sunscreen on the market, and it shows in the consumer reports after consumer reports that rate this sunscreen among the very safest. It also offers good UVA and UVB protection, another plus. (UVB rays cause sunburns and cancer, UVA rays give you wrinkles and aging...)

Many other sunscreens by contrast only offer good protection for UVB rays, or use chemicals that over long period of time can be harmful. There actually aren't too many sunscreens that are safe and offer wide protection.

All this being said, I have a few gripes with the sunscreen.

1) It definitely smells a little funny. I wouldn't go so far to say that it smells like medicine, but it does smell like some strange herbal tea. It is not a bad smell, but its not a great smell either. The scent is not very strong as other users suggest and not really that noticeable, but it is still somewhat annoying. They should either make it unscented, or make it a more 'normal' smell...

2) Contrary to what other users say, the sunscreen does not make your face white. They're probably just using too much of it. With this sunscreen a little goes a long way. You have to take a very small amount, and just rub it in carefully. It takes an extra minute or two to apply properly. The caveat though is that this is definitely NOT a good sunscreen to take to the beach. It would take a very long time to properly rub this in all over your body, so that it doesn't leave white streaks. I'd recommend this for a daily use sunscreen for primarily the face and arms.

3) In my own case, after several days of use my skin tends to become excessively dry. I have to take a couple days off. Not the best for people who tend to have dry skin either.

All this being said, I'd still recommend this product, because it is absolutely the safest stuff on the market. Ultimately even using a sunscreen like this every other day is probably better than no sunscreen at all. It'll protect against cancer and lessen signs of aging, so I'm willing to put up with some of the minor hassles associated with the sunscreen.
on February 23, 2008
This sunscreen got a lot of press last year because it was supposedly one of the safest sunscreens on the market. The safest meaning it has the fewest potentially harmful chemicals in it. For quite a while it was impossible to buy it as the manufacturer was overwhelmed by the demand.

I was finally able to give it a try on a recent trip to Florida. My first complaint is that it has a medicinal smell. I didn't think I would notice it outside but several people asked if I was wearing an insect repellant. My main complaint with this product is the consistency. It does not spread very well. Its like spreading toothpaste on your body. When I got to the pool the first time using this sunscreen my friends asked if I had stopped breathing. I was so pale they thought was something was wrong with me. In the shade I did look blue. Finally, not only is it hard to get on your body, its just as difficult to get out of your clothes. And because this stuff doesn't get absorbed, it gets all over your clothes.

The reason I am giving this two stars is that it is a long lasting sunscreen. I was in the sun for hours and I didn't burn or even tan much, despite going in and out of water. It just wasn't worth the funny smell and the odd way it made me look.
1919 comments|148 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 17, 2010
I needed sunscreen to use while awaiting the arrival of supplies (zinc, oils, beeswax) to make my own. After researching safe and natural sunscreens, I selected Badger and found it works very well. Yes, it smells a little funky--kind of medicinal, but not too bad. And yes, it's very thick and greasy. Since I use it before I swim, I don't care if it's greasy. In fact, the oils keep my skin from getting dry and irritated by the chlorine. If you knead the tube first, you shouldn't have any trouble dispensing it.

Other reviewers have complained that Badger sunscreen is too white. That's actually a good thing. When sunscreen goes on clear, that means it contains nanoparticles of zinc. Nanoparticles are sized between 1 and 100 nanometers. The particles in this product average 200 nanometers, according to the packaging. The safety of nanoparticles (whether or not they're absorbed by the skin and build up in the body, how they affect our water supply, etc.) has not been fully researched and is still debated. I'd rather look pasty than coat myself in nanoparticles.

This is a great sunscreen. I would continue to use it instead of making my own if it were cheaper. According to the Mayo Clinic's website and other sources, you're supposed to use one ounce of sunscreen per application. So if you apply sunscreen correctly, you barely get three applications from one tube. For me, it's cost prohibitive.
55 comments|16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse