5.0 out of 5 stars Baghdad Cafe Soundtrack
The music on this album is awesome. It was written and performed during a time when soundtracks were marketed as heavily as movies. Today the soundtracks preclude the movie.
Published on July 11, 2000 by mszami

1.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia, much like hunger, is the best seasoning
Published on April 5, 2008 by Isabel

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Baghdad Cafe Soundtrack, July 11, 2000
"mszami" (Portland Oregon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bagdad Cafe (Audio CD)
Jevetta Steele's "Calling You" is awesome. Her voice is very strong, clear and spine tingling. After seeing the movie and hearing the song many times I looked and found 3 albums made by her as a solo artist. Her career didn't take off as it should have with the voice she has. However, with this one song along she can keep you entertained for hours.
Hey do you remember the AT&T commericals that used Calling You in the back drop for a couple trying to call each other. It was a great commerical, I hope Jevetta made tons of money off it, as usual her voice was very stong and commanding.
By the way, if you like Ms. Steele, check out Des'ree. Des'ree sings the title song on the soundtrack to Romeo and Juliet, "Kissing You". This is the movie with Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes set in modern times. Des'ree's "Kissing You" is just as awesome. She is singing the song in the movie as well as on the soundtrack. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jevetta - we are still looking for you...., October 24, 2000
Artisan7 "artisan7" (Brooklyn, New York USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bagdad Cafe (Audio CD)
I saw the original motion picture when it first came out several years ago and I still remember Jevetta Steel's voice. The picture is unique, sweet, enjoyable -- definitely a must see. And the music -- huantingly beautiful...I was so impressed with the music, I bought the album right after seeing the movie 12 years ago. This CD is definitely a collector's item. Jevetta - if you are still out there, your fans are still calling you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best song I've heard in a long time, December 30, 2002
cynthia davis (Dorchester, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bagdad Cafe (Audio CD)
The Music in this movie was wonderful. Jevetta Steele did a wonderful job on Calling You. The first time I heard the single it ran chills up my spine. All I can say is WOW!!! If anyone can contact Jevetta Steele tell her she needs to have her own single, Album or CD. That song went to my heart and the way her vocals cords hit the notes WOW!!!!! Hands up to you Jevetta Steele where ever you are. God has blessed you with a wonderful VOICE

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Calling, November 23, 2000
This review is from: Bagdad Cafe (Audio CD)
I used to hear this song during a commercial and used to wish that it was a song. That was Fall `92, then in `93 my father had the radio on one of his "light jazz" stations in the car and there it was. THE SONG. To my delight it was a whole song, but I never got the name of the artist or the song. Fast forward seven years later, after much searching I found it - Jevetta Steele - "Calling You." Not only is that song beautiful, but surprisingly so is the rest of the CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Haunting music, good story., January 23, 1999
This review is from: Bagdad Cafe (Audio CD)
The soundtrack is very enjoyable. The haunting "Calling You" is unforgettable. The reading of the story line on the soundtrack adds some surprises which were not in the movie. Twenty-two minutes of a good story with good background music!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jevetta Steele has a fabulous voice., September 11, 1998
This review is from: Bagdad Cafe (Audio CD)
Jevetta Steele's "Calling You" is hauntingly beautiful. This song alone is worth the cost of the CD. The other tunes bring back memories of the movie, which I also love and watch every chance I get.

5.0 out of 5 stars someplace better than where you've been...., November 15, 2002
This review is from: Bagdad Cafe (Audio CD)
A jazzy little soundtrack which remains a nice reflection of the movie.. some blues, some gorgeous piano, a jazzy number about the main character, "Brenda"...
and last but not least, the AMAZING, Wonderful, "I am calling you!" This is one of the most beautiful songs I know.. bittersweet and full of emotion.. a honey-soaked teardrop.
Just get it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia, much like hunger, is the best seasoning, April 5, 2008
This review is from: Bagdad Cafe (Audio CD)
I remembered watching Bagdad Cafe and wanting the soundtrack so much, especially because of Jevetta Steele's "Calling You" but when i purchased the CD i was sorely disappointed in its quality. Essentially "Calling You" is the only listenable song. I didn't look closely enough at the track titles either, so i was also disappointed to find that although the jacket lists 20 tracks, the CD only has 8 songs. (rip off)
I am not amused.

5.0 out of 5 stars this soundtrack captures the flavor of the film....., October 13, 2005
This review is from: Bagdad Cafe (Audio CD)
For those of you who have yet to see "Bagdad Cafe," I definitely reccomend that you check it out. It is quirky, funny, tender and very engaging. I am pleased to say that this soundtrack captures the atmosphere of that lovely little film about an unlikely stranger and her unexpectedly joyful effect on a group of strangers in a desolate town, and their subsequent transformation.

The album starts off with one of the most tender, beautiful R&B flavored ballads I have ever heard, "Calling You." sung by Jevetta Steele. I can't really compare this woman to any other singer and it is truly unfortunate that her career didn't blossom more. Her combination of wonderful, soaring vocals and haunting expression fill the song with feeling. ("There's a road from Vegas to nowhere/Someplace better than where you've been/A Coffee machine that needs some fixing/In a little cafe just around the bend"). I wonder what happened to her....

It blends classical music (as played by one of the characters in the film), "C-Major Prelude From The Well Tempered Clavier," with an "oompapa" Bavarian track, "Zweifach," (to convey the arrival of the German stranger to the cafe) and even an over-the-top song and dance number, sung by the entire ensemble, "Brenda, Brenda." This eclectic soundtrack will make you want to see the film, purely because it is a mixture of songs you couldn't quite fathom being featured on the SAME album. Isn't that reason enough to see a film that will make you smile? I thought so....Go rent it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jevetta Steele is giving goose pimples, July 21, 1999
This review is from: Bagdad Cafe (Audio CD)
Since I heard "Calling You" about 12 years ago for the first time, I heard it several times in a cafe in France and lately in a telecom commercial in Holland. It brings me goose pimples all over. I told a friend in Curaçao and he has ordered it from Amazon for me. Luckely for me, I'll get my goose pimples more often. I herewith say THANK YOU AART!! The rest of the music is also very nice to hear especially when you have seen the movie. But Jevetta Steele's "Calling You" is a highlight. Shame on her that she didnot released her own CD.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Bagdad Cafe
Bagdad Cafe by Bob Telson (Audio CD - 1990)