Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

on March 11, 2013
I bought this bag online without seeing what it really was all about. I ended up giving it a shot and after a couple of weeks this is what I've found:

Pros:
-Stylish
-Lightweight
-Functional
-Heavy Hardware
-Removable Cross-body Strap
-Outside Pockets - Great for cell, keys, badge, quick access items, one pocket allows to be used over luggage handles and is great for mail/paper
-Inside hooks for keys or whatever
-Comes with a wristlet
-Inside Organizer pockets for pen/chapstick, cards, etc.
-Padded iPad/eReader pocket

Cons:
-Hard to get in and out of from top. Seems to taper in a bit so reaching "down in" and looking for things is a little frustrating. I've learned over the years to put most of my 'things' in zippered pouches so this helps.
-Shoulder straps feel a little short for a bag of this size. If the drop were just a little longer I think it would help when wearing a big jacket. The straps do fall off of your shoulder unless you do that shoulder hunch thing. Maybe if they were leather or rubbery?

I use this bag daily as I take public transportation to and from work. I have even put my laptop in this, lenghtwise, but would not recommend this bag solely for that purpose as you will be competing for space with your other items but it will fit if you need it to. I like the little padded pocket for my Kindle, although with my case, I'm not sure I even really needed the padding. I never did before, but it's there if you want that extra piece of mind.

Just really wish it were a little easier to get in and out of. So mostly what I do is put all the crap I don't access daily (umbrella, zippered pouches that carry feminine products, makeup, etc) on the bottom and my wallet on top. I use the outside pocket for my phone, keys, earbud and badge for work.

Hope this review helped.

UPDATE AFTER 3 FULL MONTHS OF USE

I like this bag when nothing is in it. When I have things in it. Not so much. I thought I could deal with the reaching in but I just can't. The zipper is rough and scratches my arms when reaching in beacuse the top opening part is narrow. Not good for an every day bag. I need a tote.

This is totally my opinion of course.

Style/look is cute... functionality questionable.

And because it's so narrow, the little ipad/ereader pocket gets in the way too when I reach in.

OH well. Live and learn.

on December 19, 2012
I did a lot of in-person and on-line shopping for a really functional travel tote that would carry all the necessities for multi-flight cross-country travel and not be so punitively heavy or bulky that I was exhausted by the time I reached my destination. I found it in this tote! I quite literally have packed everything I need for a long, 3-flight trek and there is room to spare. (.My husband says I could pack everything I need for basic and happy survival....). The design makes it extremely versatile, but has good security features to boot. I have to say I debated about this color because it looked "OK" on-line, but it is really quite attractive. Rather than a dull-berry, it is more a deep burgundy color with a gold lining that makes everything easy to find. As one who thrives on organization and stresses over the lack thereof when I travel, this tote is just perfect!
on July 17, 2013
I purchased this bag for a trip to India. While I loved the roominess, the pockets, the bright colored inside, there is a construction flaw that drove me crazy. The top zipper is positioned too close to the handle rings. When you go to open it, the handles must be thrown to each side, perfectly positioned, or the zipper catches on the ring and won't slide any further. I can't tell you how many times I had to fiddle with laying the handles just right to enable me to unzip the bag. I wanted to just leave the darn thing open all the time so I didn't have to deal with this, but the gaping mouth of the bag is not a good idea for security reasons.

I am returning my bag. My friends rave about Baggallini, but I am going to Europe soon and do not want to waste my precious vacation swearing at the zipper catching on the handle rings.

The bag is well consructed, and I loved many of its features. But having to struggle to open it at every turn was more than I could deal with.
VINE VOICEon January 24, 2013
I own a number of Baggallini Bags, and I like the Santiago. But it doesn't merit 5 stars for a few reasons.

The Good:
- Roomy. The bag is a nice size to use either as a large purse or a tote. I love the zippered back pocket, which can either be used for storage or (unzipped) put over the handle of a roller bag (luggage). Nice.
- iPad Pocket. The bag has an interior pocket just for your iPad. Do NOT listen to those who say that it's 'too small' for an iPad. In fact, I have an iPad with a ZAGG Folio case, which is a hard shell folding case with a Bluetooth keyboard. This adds quite a bit of heft to my iPad, but it all fits in the pocket. NICE!
- Standard Compartments. If you have a Baggallini bag, you know about the standard pockets and compartments. It has a large interior zippered pocket, a space for your business cards (or small cell phone), organizers for credit cards/business cards.
- Zippered pouch and leashes. This bag comes with a zippered pouch. The bag also has a couple of leash hooks to hook on the pouch and your keys. Prior versions of the zippered pouch had a clear window pocket on one side. The pouch is now (cheaper) plain. But still nice.

The Okay:
- Handle. I wish they would use leather. Some of the newer bags do. This one does not. Additionally, I would like a longer drop for this bag on the handles. Then, you would not need the shoulder strap. However, the drop for this bag STILL does allow you to carry it as a shoulder bag/tote, but it's a little tight when you have a winter coat on.
- Limited color choices. I wish Baggallini would make more bags in the patterned fabrics. I LOVED the giraffe and zebra prints. Subtle but still interesting. Espresso is nice, but...bring those back!
- Outer pocket. I love putting my cell phone in the outer pocket. It is both zippered and has a latch. I would rather have seen an easier access pocket. BUT it does have a roomy pocket and a smaller cell phone pocket for easier access (all in one).

All in all, this is a very nice, roomy bag. I can tell that it will be one of my favorites Baggallini bags.
on January 7, 2014
This bag's looks are lovely, and the bright lining is a nice plus, but its construction does not merit the price. It's not a good bag for a traveler or someone who actually has to rely on their bag to work and be comfortable.

I had this bag for perhaps a week before the rivet on the side ripped out. The construction of the crossbody strap's attachment points on the bag was very cramped- I couldn't get the metal fixtures through both loops on the side at a time, so it pull all the weight of the bag on just two attachment points. I think this contributed to the rip- the loop came completely off. I carry a tablet and several large folders with me, for work, but it's

On another design failure note, the mouth of the bag is rather narrower than the body, making it hard to pack. The handles are set much too close to the mouth of the bag, so they interfere with zipping the bag.

The material is a lovely color, and sturdy enough, but the construction is all bells and whistles rather than actual good quality.

I don't recommend this for anyone who actually has to rely on their bag to carry things comfortably. It's not a good travel bag, it's not a good walking bag, and frankly it's just not a very good bag.
on June 19, 2014
I wanted a large purse to use on our vacation. Since luggage size is limited these days, I wanted the purse to be able to carry a fair amount of things in the airplane, including my 10" tablet. This purse is large, and may work well for someone else, but I found it too deep and narrow to be useful. It was not easy to find smaller items in the main compartment. I was able to get it my tablet inside, but the opening at the top is a little narrower than the bottom, and it was not easy to get it in or out. (The tablet does have a cover on it.)

I liked the option of the regular strap or cross-body strap, but was disappointed to find that neither one was removable, so both of them were on the purse at all times. This was awkward.

I was happy with the quality.
on September 15, 2013
Several other reviewers had said that the straps were too close to the zipper on the purse. I didn't fully understand what they meant until I received the bag myself. The zipper is rather stiff and the straps are sewn so close to the teeth of the zipper that there's barely enough room for the zipper to pass through and close. It gets stuck a lot. Also, the straps on this purse are not as sculpted and therefore not as comfortable as the straps on other Baggallini purses. This is my 4th Baggallini purse and I am somewhat disappointed. That said, it's very cute and it's the right size so I've kept it anyway.
on November 3, 2015
This would get 5 stars if the short handles were just a bit longer and if the tops of the handles were folded and stitched. That would help with the sizing and with the tendency to slip off the shoulder. It's very tight on my shoulder and from the reviews I read in a variety of places, I'm not the only one who feels that way. Even an extra 2" would help!

I haven't used it yet, but I think it will work well as my "personal" items for carrying on the plane. I may also be able to use it for long days of sight-seeing on my next trip to Europe, wearing it crossbody with the long strap. I don't like that the long strap only clips on, so I may need to make some kind of an adjustment to make it more secure. I did discover that I can clip it to the rings for the short strap if I want to do that.

Doing that in combination with the zipper that goes all the way across the top, makes it almost totally inaccessible by a potential pickpocket. Unfortunately, that also holds true for me.
on February 17, 2014
The inside portion with the pockets should be separated from the rest of the big opening so you can slide things in and out easier without jamming and catching on slots. The I-pad slot with the padding gave it enough firmness to actually slip an I-pad or envelope or tickets into. I will opt for a firmer tote on my next rip. A little form and a little flexibility would be better. Too much flexability causes everything to lump in one spot and be hard to manage.
The exterior pocket should have been the full width of bag instead of a huge pocket with a tiny opening. Could not fit a sweater into the bag,.
The double handle and shoulder strap is nice. The weight is nice. But some firm plastic inserts or a thin foam lining like for the I-pad to give it more form. .
on May 10, 2015
Versatile bag, can be used everyday. I bought this as a travel bag and took it out for a test run last weekend. It's roomy enough for all my daily stuff (umbrella, water, book, multiple pouches for keys, toiletries etc) but didn't feel heavy. I like the numerous pockets, and this will make it very handy for traveling.

I knocked off one star because the zipper tends to get snagged in the straps. Another reviewer had commented on this, but I didn't find it as bothersome.

See 1 answered question