Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bake Deliciously! Gluten and Dairy Free Cookbook
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Paperback|Change

on July 1, 2009
This book is full of great recipes that will be hits with family and friends who are NOT on restricted diets. I brought the Almond Apricot Bundt Cake (pg 44) to a dinner party where no one had any dietary restrictions, and everyone had 2nd servings. I was coerced into leaving it behind in exchange for two bottles of wine! I probably could have negotiated for more ;-) This book is a must for anyone trying to please a mixed crowd.
on June 9, 2009
I brought a batch of Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars(pg 77) to a party. Two of my friends in attendance maintain a gluten-free diet. Upon arrival I placed the bars on the table with the other desserts and went off to find them. I had brought the book and as we were talking and looking at the recipes some the other guests began to come over. They had eaten the bars and absolutely loved them and wanted the recipe. I explained that I had made them gluten-free so our gluten-free friends could enjoy a sweet treat too. They replied," Well they better get over there fast there are only 3 left." Seriously they were the first treat gone!
on July 12, 2009
This cookbook is a delight for anyone who wants to prepare sweets for the sweet! These baked goods are not only delicious, they are beautiful as well! Jean definitely understands how presentation of these baked goods is as important as the taste -- and she excells on both counts.
Her recipes focus on whole grains and natural, pure ingredients so you can't feel guilty about eating any of the beautiful cakes, cookies, pies and desserts.

My favorite section is Breakfast. Breakfast is the hardest meal and she offers so many wonderful alternatives. This is really a great cookbook and I highly recommend it.
on March 11, 2010
There are lots of cookbooks out there on gluten-free baking, but this one stands out for a couple of reasons. First, it's dairy-free as well. She also includes Vegan versions of some of the recipes, eliminating the eggs and any other animal products. For those of us with multiple allergies, she gives us the flexibility to eliminate many allergens from the recipes.

Second, and the reason I like it so much, is the beginning of the book is like a primer on gluten-free baking. She tells you what ingredients you can substitute successfully. For instance, if you don't have sweet rice flour on hand, or are allergic/sensitive to rice, you can substitute tapioca flour. She even shows you a photo of what happens to the baked good when you change one ingredient and why each result has it's pluses and minuses. For some of her recipes with substituted ingredients she says she'd serve it to family but not to company! Now THAT'S helpful!

She also goes into great length about what you should have on hand in your pantry, a detailed list of common gf ingredients and what they do, hints about how to keep all of these ingredients organized and fresh, how not to get cross-contaminated, and even some time and money saving tips.

This is way more than a cookbook. This will take you from a newbie beginner to a confident baker. Definitely five stars!
on February 1, 2010
This book is amazing! Her recipe for home-made margarine is worth the price of the book. The front is full of great information and the recipes are wonderful. I'm looking forward to having chocolate pudding again! Most gluten free recipes use lots of cheese and butter, but this one has lots of wonderful ideas for cooking without these staples and still eating delicious food. Highly recommended!
on February 14, 2010
My grandson has all kinds of allergies--dairy, soy, nuts. I purchased this for myself and for my daughter. So far she has really enjoyed every recipe she has tried. This gives her a much wider range of things to bake that are allergy friendly for her son.
on January 23, 2011
I really like this cookbook because it helps convert using different flours and how you can substitute for other flours, milks, sugars etc. Very easy to use and once you get the right ingredients you're good to go. I'm anxious to try many of the recipes, just haven't had the time right now. I did try the cracker one and it was very good. My husband and I both don't eat wheat or dairy and it's very hard to find a cookbook that doesn't use both. Most will either use one or the other.
on August 16, 2011
If you are having to cook without gluten this book is the best guide as she thoroughly explains things as well as how to substitute! It has been invaluable in baking but also helpful in generally cooking gluten free. The recipes are really good as well.
on August 25, 2010
Those five star reviews must have come from the author's friends and family, people she clearly did not make eat the items in this book. I am a very experienced baker, with many supplies in the house, including things I have used for gluten and dairy free baking; yet I had to buy a number of things to make the "cheesecake," laying out quite a bit of cash to get started. This cheesecake was inedible! Simply awful. I actually had to wash my mouth out after taking a bite. First I made the lemon zesty cookies for the crust. These were bad. They were very sweet, yet heavy on lemon and the texture was simply dreadful. Imagine cookies that have sat in a plastic bag in a humid environment for about two weeks, and this was just cooled, fresh out of the oven. OK, I figured it really wouldn't matter since they were just for the crust. But the filling was even worse! It had a bitter aftertaste that was indescribably bad--akin to drinking some cough syrup. The crust was a mushy mess at the bottom and had to be scraped off the pie plate. The strawberry sauce on the side was edible, but not good. There is a much easier and tastier way to glaze strawberries: Just cook down some all natural jam--say seedless raspberry, and coat the berries; use the extra for some sauce.

If you need to bake healthy items try Fran Costigan's book. It isn't all gluten free, but some of it is and it is all dairy free. The recipes also all taste really good!
on November 7, 2010
A terrific book with plenty of variety. Some ingredients are hard to get in Australia, however the book does explain how to substitute. Not many pictures, but still a good sound book for celiac/vegans.