5.0 out of 5 stars Nick Malgieri does it again!
Published on September 16, 2010 by Shep Huntleigh

3.0 out of 5 stars A star quality book for the home cook
Nick Malgieri's Bake! is a gorgeously illustrated baking manual. It provides thoroughly detailed instruction on how to prepare a wide variety of wonderful treats.

The illustrations don't quite qualify this as a coffee table book, though it will clearly make a well-appreciated gift for someone building a home cookbook collection. It also can be a great...
Published on January 20, 2012 by ThirstyBrooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Nick Malgieri does it again!, September 16, 2010
This review is from: Bake!: Essential Techniques for Perfect Baking (Hardcover)
I have been waiting for this book to be published; it could not have come fast enough for me. Why? Because Malgieri's books are fun to read, his recipes always reliable. He must test his recipes really thoroughly because, as I've learned from his other books, they ALWAYS work for me. This time around, it's almost like he's holding my hand, showing me exactly what to do...and then, when I'm done, adding, "Once you do that, you can also make this slight alteration and make this dessert, too. And this one. And this one." I love it. It's like having a professional baking teacher at my side in my kitchen. All for under $20! Those of you unfamiliar with Malgieri's earlier books already know how wonderfully instructive he can be, how comfortably he walks you through each step. Those of you who don't know his books, what are you waiting for? He is the genuine article. Anyway, I've had the book for only two days now and have already tried the chocolate hazelnut tart (it's so easy just to stir the chopped nuts into the filling), his really simple focaccia, and a lemon pound cake. Each turned out just great. Of course. (One short closing note: Could an earlier, first-time reviewer--who posted a review well in advance of the book's publication date--have some sort of professional jealousy issue? Maybe a little axe to grind? Just a hunch.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Baking Cookbook for Novice and Expert Bakers, October 2, 2010
This review is from: Bake!: Essential Techniques for Perfect Baking (Hardcover)
The book is beautifully photographed with not only pictures of the finished dishes, but plenty of photos of the steps required to prepare the recipes. The recipes range from sweet to savory. I prepared three recipes, Banana Coconut Crumb Cake, Devil's Food Bombe and Truffle Brownies, which were easily the fudgyiest brownies I've ever eaten. All three recipes turned out perfectly and there are many others I look forward to trying. Out of curiosity I did look at the Chocolate Hazelnut Tart recipe but it appears that the problem noted in another review was fixed before publication because there are detailed instructions on how to prepare the hazelnuts for the tart.

The book lays open flat on the countertop which is helpful when trying to prepare a recipe. Black ink and white pages are used for the text, which makes reading the recipes much easier than weird combinations often found in cookbooks, like pale pink pages with white printing. I do wish the font size for the recipes was a little larger, but that is a publisher decision, not the author. The book was put together thoughtfully with the needs of the user in mind and the reality that good cookbooks are kitchen tools rather than coffee table books.

Whether looking for an indulgent dessert, a great scone recipe, the best cookie recipe, cheesecake, artesian bread or pizza dough this cookbook has it all. The step-by-step instructions that run throughout this book make it a terrific volume for a new baker, and the complexity of the recipes also make it an invaluable addition to any experienced baker's library.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bake me a cake (or something else yummy) as fast as you can, September 17, 2010
This review is from: Bake!: Essential Techniques for Perfect Baking (Hardcover)
Nick Malgieri has put together a good solid baking book. He has taught for 30 years, so, my only complaint is that some of the directions do require a more experienced cook to follow them; it does seem strange that a person who teaches would not make his directions more clear, especially when there is such an effort to show directions and methods with instructional photographs, which are very good and useful. They might even help a more experienced cook with their technique.

There is information about ingredients, such as flours and grains and about equipment. There are reassuring tips throughout and pictures on many techniques, such as how to make pastry dough.
For each recipe there is a bit of history about it or where it comes from. It's a varied collection, including: Sweet pastry and tarts, flaky pastry and tarts, cookie dough and tarts, quick puff pastry, pan breads, whole grain breads, flatbreads, brioche, Danish pastry, butter and oil cakes, pound and coffee cakes, sponge and meringue layers, baking powder biscuits and scones, quick breads and muffins, bar cookies and brownies, piped and drop cookies, rolled and sandwich cookies.

A beginning cook or even a more experienced one would find this an appealing cookbook. There are relatively simple recipes but also the less common ones, such as one for a Russian Punch Cake and a Raspberry Meringue Wedge. The molasses gingerbread is luscious and will make your kitchen smell marvelous. Cookbook collectors of all kinds would enjoy having this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars errata, October 31, 2010
This review is from: Bake!: Essential Techniques for Perfect Baking (Hardcover)
Helen is right about the error in the Chocolate Hazelnut Tart recipe, but Nick Malgieri has apparently been made aware of it. From [....]/blog today:

"...it's an easy fix. At the end of step 4 in the recipe, the missing text should read, "Stir in the hazelnuts." "

For me, knowing that he posts errata to his website makes Bake! a less risky purchase now than it was when Helen wrote her review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent baking book, November 16, 2010
This review is from: Bake!: Essential Techniques for Perfect Baking (Hardcover)
This is the essential book for all of your baking needs. There is something you want to make on every page!

I'm glad there are photos of some of the crucial steps because some of the ingredient measurements are off. For example, the brioche recipe indicates less flour than you actually need. Seeing the photo of a ball of dough (vs. the sticky soup in the bowl using ACTUAL ingredient measurements) made me realize that some of the proportions were a little off. That same recipe doesn't say how long to bake the loaf of brioche, so I kept monitoring it until I thought it might be done.

As a side note, the photo of the scones should have been more closely scrutinized because there is a hair on the nut scone.

If it weren't for these few errors/omissions, I would give this book 5 stars for technique and interesting recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything one needs to bake a little or a lot, September 16, 2010
This review is from: Bake!: Essential Techniques for Perfect Baking (Hardcover)
Just the book I need, to resume an old pleasure of mine. Things have changed through the years, and Nick has made everything seem so much clearer. Wonderful pictures, great tips and as always, the best recipes. Not just for "old" bakers, I find myself sending this book as shower gifts for people that have never baked before. It is good for all levels of cooking. I have my eye on a chocolate hazelnut pie as I write. I especially enjoy the tips. My family often made oil based cakes, but not until now have I had any tips on handling them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and Savory--it's in here, November 18, 2012
This review is from: Bake!: Essential Techniques for Perfect Baking (Hardcover)
I love to cook savory more than bake sweets, but I bought BAKE! as my maiden voyage into Nick Malgierri's world. I started with a savory focaccia recipe, and it is great, and easy. I have 2 other focaccia recipes I used to use, but I always like to test new ones. This will be in my KEEPER file as the easiest of the three. So crunchy outside, tender inside, using simple and available ingredients. I made it all the same day and it was ready for our dinner. I will use this recipe for panini next time bc slicing through the middle gives a nice skinny but artisan bread perfect for such a purpose. The recipe did not use grams in measurement as I am partial to, so I assumed that was because this was not a dedicated bread book. However none of the recipes use gram measurements at all, sweets and baked cakes, etc,.. That's just me, I like to weigh my flour. If you are into that frame of mind, too, I thought I'd mention it. When I made the focaccia, I made a notation in the book what the gram weight of the flour was so next time I can make it w/the same reliable result. On the upside, there are many beautiful photos of finished products as well as many procedural photos of techniques (as the cover of BAKE! mentions) showing, when needed, how to form it correctly. I like Nick's user-friendly attention to his listing the type and size pan to use for the recipe, shown at the end of the ingredient list. There are times I want to take the 'quick route' and use a loaf pan rather than handling and forming the dough. I can see at a moment's glance if that recipe is a contender for me on any given day based upon time constrictions or my mood.

This book contains a nice assortment of both breads (savory) and sweets, and for someone not knowing where their passion rests between those two things, this book might just help you figure it out. I just bought Nick's new book, BREAD. I've got pages tagged to try out those recipes and will look forward to using that this season--(in that bread book by the way, he DOES use gram measurements. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love to bake you will love this book, May 1, 2011
This review is from: Bake!: Essential Techniques for Perfect Baking (Hardcover)
I really would like to recommend this book. As a retired professional chef who is enjoying rediscovering baking after years of being a working chef this book is a godsend. Not only is it informative but it is also beautifully laid out and has good instructions and great pictures as well. I have already made a few of the recipes and have not been disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Essential Techniques", November 25, 2012
This review is from: Bake!: Essential Techniques for Perfect Baking (Hardcover)
I've been looking for an easy, hands-on, foolproof, failproof crust recipe and Nick Malgieri fills this book with them. Not only that, but the recipes are a delight, the directions are easy to follow, and I love the photos and the care he takes in delineating how to roll out dough, how to perfectly blind bake a crust, how to seal the edges of a tart. I am so, so glad I bought this and I look forward to delving into more of Malgieri's recipes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful!, May 2, 2011
This review is from: Bake!: Essential Techniques for Perfect Baking (Hardcover)
Like Nick Malgieri, I have baked to the point where I don't want to mess around with the tedious. I love the short cuts that he gives here in this book and I also like it that he instructs as he goes along. Very, very useful book that I am sure I will work through and get the best out of! Good buy.

Bake!: Essential Techniques for Perfect Baking
Bake!: Essential Techniques for Perfect Baking by Nick Malgieri (Hardcover - September 16, 2010)
$29.95 $19.86