Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now SnS

Size: 7-Day SingleChange
Price:$5.49+ Free shipping

on November 23, 2010
Before I bought these feeders I noticed the reviews were all over the place. Some people loved them while others came home to find their fish had died. So I bought them and decided to try one out before I left for vacation. I'm very glad I did because nothing happened. While it seemed to be dissolving I couldn't see any type of food being distributed. My Beta did not have a clue as to how to eat from it because he normally chases food from the top. He doesn't forage on the bottom of the tank. After 3 days I decided to take it out of the tank and use a mechanical feeder. I think if I had just dropped it in the tank and gone on vacation I too may have come home to a dead fish. They seem worthless to me.
11 comment39 of 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 25, 2011
I bought these at a local aquarium shop to feed my bettas when I go on vacation in a couple months. I had to test it out before relying on it, so I put one of these in each of 10 betta vases.

After three days these things hadn't started to dissolve. So, I fed the bettas a little of their regular food figuring that when I am going to leave on vacation, I could drop these in a few days ahead, giving the tablets time to start working.

After another day on this trial run, I did notice the tablets starting to dissolve. I hoped the fish would eat it... But there was no sign of any of the stuff being eaten. The tablets disolved at different rates. Of the ten, a couple of them didn't seem to dissolve much at all in a week. One of my ten bettas died on the sixth day. Another looked very weak, and even after another week of normal care hasn't recovered to normal.

If I don't come up with a better solution before vacation, I will just feed them twice a day, rather than once a day for a couple days before leaving, then give them one last big feeding as I leave the house. I'll still drop these tablets in with them in case they will decide to eat some of it.

Once these things do dissolve, it just looks like colored slime on the battom of the bowl. I definitely will not buy again.
11 comment20 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2013
The reason this is killing peoples' fish is the horrible blend of chemicals in it to make it into such a tablet form, the fact that your fish are not going to eat from it since it releases powder (you wouldn't eat powder after nice meat pellets or tasty flakes, would you?), and lastly, most importantly, the fact that this thing is releasing nothing but pure ammonia (super toxic!) into your tank that you won't be around to clean out while you're on vacation (especially in those 1g bowls - forget it). Your fish will get poisoned and die, or at least be incredibly sick and weak when you return.

Truth be told, feed them a few extra pellets/flakes before you go, and your fish will be fine without food for a week. Overall, it'll be much healthier for them since no one will be around to clean out their tanks and do water changes. If it'll be two weeks or more, maybe get a friend to come over every couple of days to drop some pellets in and teach them how to change the water (be sure to emphasize not overfeeding... I had a friend go nuts with the food and my fish almost died from overfeeding and ammonia poisoning when I got back - uneaten pellets were everywhere).

In short, save a fish, don't buy this or anything like it! :)
on December 1, 2011
I saw the mixed reviews and had to give it a shot. Very disappointed!! I put the item it, it immediately sunk to the bottom and started to slightly dissolve or fizzle. That was it! After three days it still did not provide food. I had to keep feeding my beta during those days because it was quite obvious it was starving. After the third day i took it out and ran it under water and i never saw any fish particles of any kind. Have no idea what the fish was supposed to eat as there was nothing freeze dried inside of it. RIP OFF! I had the water ph and temperature perfect for this work. I would like to know from someone who used it with success what the process was like for them, as I still have the rest of them left.
on January 14, 2014
I bought these at my local Petco, as I was going to be away for a while over Christmas. I gave my three betta tanks good cleanings before and immediately upon getting home. All three of my fish were visibly ill when I got home, and a week after the water changes, one fish had bounced back to normal/healthy. The other two were still struggling, and eventually died. This is the only thing that changed in their environment (I left the heaters in my apartment on the same temperature as always). I thought giving this a try would be better than leaving my fish food-less for a long period of time, as I am a college kid and wasn't at my apartment much over winter break. (I also don't know anybody who was around over break who could go in and feed the fish for me.) Perhaps if you have a large, filtered tank, this would work. Don't listen to the people at the pet stores who tell you that this will work for smaller, unfiltered tanks, though.
on August 8, 2006
I bought based on the 2 good reviews. but mine always made the water very dirty within a day.

We went for 7 day vacation, we had two very healthy bettas - one of them died by the time we came back...

I am going to try something else next time.
22 comments8 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 27, 2012
This product is poor. The fish are colored and the impregnated material does not completely dissolve, leaving colored sandy material on the bottom of the tanks. The water in both bettta tanks became the color of the fish feeder. My fish were still alive after a week, so I'm hoping they didn't fast that entire time. I did, however, bulk them up before I left and fed them immediately after my arrival home.
on July 2, 2012
Don't risk it! Pro Balance 7 Day Betta Blocks made by Penn-Plax no doubt killed my fish. I put a block in his bowl to test it before leaving on vacation. It killed an otherwise healthy betta within just a couple of hours. The tablet started dissolving quickly and putting off stuff in the water. It looked like my fish had been poisoned. He was in distress and could not swim or breathe and died right away.
on March 24, 2012
I normally don't leave reviews but I feel so strongly about this product that I felt the need to contribute my warnings to the already numerous warnings on here: Do Not Use This!
I left a block with my betta over Spring break (only 7 days). When I came back, there was green, powdery gunk all around the remnants of the block. Luckily, my betta looked okay and the ammonia levels weren't that bad - which I attribute to all the aquatic plants I have in the tank. I feel like if I didn't have the plants to reduce the ammonia, I would have come back to a dead betta.
on February 17, 2012
I got these at my local Petco store, figured I could use them when I went home for spring break. My mistake, these things are pieces of junk. I placed one in my bettas tank and it sunk watched and it did not appear to release any food. Plus it has plugged up two filter cartridges in just a matter of days. I do not recommend these.