1,093 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, no matter your skill level
Published on May 13, 2007 by kidnugget

2.0 out of 5 stars Big disappointment
If all you want to can are fruit and pickles, this book is great. However, the section on low-acid (pressure) canning (which is what I was most interested in) is almost non-existant. For the price, I expected a lot more. If you want a good, comprehensive book, the Ball Blue book is far better.
Published on December 1, 2007 by E. E. Haroldsen

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, no matter your skill level, May 13, 2007
kidnugget (Bakersfield, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving (Paperback)
I got this book about three weeks ago, having never canned or preserved, and I was completely impressed. Using the recipes inside, I've made pickled ocra, green beans, brandied cherries, sweet asparagus, and the hands down best pickle relish I've ever had in my life. It has hundreds of recipes, and they are all wonderful. If you're into fruit preserves or jams, sweet or dill pickles, slasas, relishes, chutneys, condiments, you name it, there are dozens of recipes of each type of food. I'll be tackling some home made wine and cranberry mustard next week. The first batches of pickles I made were with utensils I already had on hand. All you need is the mason jars if you have a well stocked kitchen. I've sense bought some bottle clamps to get the jars out of the hot water, but that's about it.

Here are the pros:

*) Thorough discussion of the steps of preserving.

*) Discussion on foodborne illness and how to kill it through preserving.

*) A look at high acid versus low acid canning.

*) A handy guide of produce weight and volume (for example, one pound of cherries equals 2 1/2 cups of cherries, so you know exactly what to get at the store).

*) Amazing, easy recipes for all levels of skill and tastes.

*) Dozens of variations on recipes (not just one type of cucumber pickle, but several!)

Buy this book if you're thinking of starting or even an old time pro. It's great fun, and it can produce pickles, ketchups, and preserves where you controll all the ingredients (and can even go organic!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Saints Preserve Us!, June 2, 2006
Barb S (Burnsville, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving (Paperback)
It was my lucky day when happenstance led me to this exciting new book.

There are more than 400 recipes within, basic ones for new home canners and sophisticated recipes for more experienced canners and those newbies with sophisticated palates. New preservers and experienced canners alike will appreciate the section (with lots of illustrations) titled "The Art and Science of Home Food Preservation."

The authors and their supporting cast know their stuff and impart that knowledge with clear language and instructions as well as helpful tips in sidebars for nearly every recipe, whether a special use for the preserved product or tips for selecting the best produce and ingredients for the recipe. They've answered the call for "ethnic" recipes and provide recipes the likes of harissa, 14 salsas, and five different chili sauce recipes as well as regional specialties like okra pickles. Among the eighteen chutney recipes, there's sure to be at least one blue ribbon winner for ambitious State and County Fair competitors around the country.

While the first 378 pages are dedicated to recipes processed in a boiling water bath, there is also a small section about pressure processing for vegetables and combination foods like beef stew and chili.

There are not many photos; I don't mind that. Those photos that are included are taste-tempting and colorful - I'm pretty sure I can taste that Thai Hot and Sweet Dipping Sauce just looking at the picture of it.

As a prize-winning Fair competitor for more than 25 years, I am really excited about this book and look forward to trying some of its innovative recipes for my family and my friends. I salute the authors and thank them for the newest addition to my preserving library. Saints preserve us!

Barb Schaller
Burnsville, Minnesota
2004 Minnesota State Fair "Prestigious Processor of the Pantry"

5.0 out of 5 stars Great canning and preserving resource, August 22, 2006
Luvthesun (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving (Paperback)
I have the Ball Blue book, but this book is a must-have as well. It has great details about the basics, plus several very unique recipes for different preserves. Highly recommended! Would be a great gift for the home-preserver.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ball or Bernardin... anyway it's written this is a great book!, September 18, 2008
Length:: 3:20 Mins

Confused about home preserving? In a rut and looking for new preserves recipes? Look no further, this is the book for you.

2.0 out of 5 stars Big disappointment, December 1, 2007
E. E. Haroldsen (Idaho Falls, ID United States) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars read carefully at least twice, June 21, 2009
This review is from: Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving (Paperback)
I was, and still am really excited about the recipes in this book. Everything I have made is wonderful- tastes soooooo good, and I've not had an ounce of spoilage or anything. It's nice to see much great selections of modern recipes! This book really changed my mind about stodgy old canning my grandma used to do.
The one thing that drive me nuts- I've yet to have a recipe be even close to accurate for it's yield. The figs preserves were really short of what the recipe said I'd get, the red pepper spread was about 2X what I expected....it's all across the board. So, yes- buy this book, preserve food and make awesome gifts, have canning parties. But when you read the recipes, think through very carefully about what your yield will actually be!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book. Although I am a new canner., August 10, 2006
This review is from: Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving (Paperback)
I am a new canner and I love this book. I did know a little about canning but this is my first year doing it by myself. I like the produce purchase guide in the back of the book and also the trouble shooting guide. The produce purchase guide shows you approx how many fruits and/or veggies to a pound so that if a recipe calls for something by pounds in lieu of cups it's there for you if you don't own a scale.

I have a basic garden, nothing fancy. I have done the tomato juice, Simple "House" Salsa and Peach Salsa from this book and they are all wonderful. I do like the step by step instructions since I am new at this. It maybe a little repetitive for the experienced canner but I liked it.

Hope you enjoy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Preserving food does not mean only Preserves, August 22, 2010
This review is from: Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving (Paperback)
Having loaned out my Ball Book, I opted to try for this one...bad mistake. If you are interested in mostly creating preserves, as in a fruit spread like jelly, jam, conserves this would be acceptable. I wanted to refresh my memory on foods for pressure canning and the length of time to process vegetables, soups, et al,
however I strongly suggest you purchase a Ball Cookbook. If you need to purchase a used one, I would recommend you do so.

2.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware!, September 20, 2010
This review is from: Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving (Paperback)
I purchased this book as an early birthday present to myself. My family just had bought me my first pressure canner and I was excited to get started!! I have been canning and making jams & preserves for over three years. I was very excited to see a spaghetti sauce recipe! Well I got my 30 lb. (yes I did say 30!) and followed the recipe exactly. Now I had made sauce before and was required to cook it for nearly two hours to thicken it, but this recipe had a total cooking time of 15 minutes. I figured hey, maybe it might be okay......WRONG!! The sauce which was allegedly supposed to fill nine jars could have filled 22 jars!! Thankfully I knew to cook it down more! Horrible!! Also I made the brandied apple rings, that too was incorrect, I should have used at least 6lb. of apples not the 4 that they had suggested. What came of it was six jars with too much syrup! Very, Very disappointed! Do NOT waste your money on this book!

2.0 out of 5 stars Mostly water bath canning, November 14, 2010
This review is from: Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving (Paperback)
The book is ok but the pressure canning section is only 32 pages long. For a "complete book" that's more than a little disappointing. If you're looking to can for food storage, this book will give you some basics but it isn't anywhere close to complete.

Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving
Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving by Lauren Devine (Paperback - April 14, 2006)
$22.95 $12.96