4.0 out of 5 stars A Much Better Design!
Published 23 months ago by D. DeMeo

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor design. Don't buy.
Short Story:

Lids are hard to seal and tell if they are sealed. Jars collapse when putting lid on. Ball makes a similar, but MUCH better plastic jar with a screw-on lid.

Long story:

Published on June 5, 2012 by Kev

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor design. Don't buy., June 5, 2012
Kev "KariSue" (Camarillo, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
Short Story:

Long story:

The lids are very hard to attach. You often have to push so hard that the plastic jar collapses making for quite a mess. It is also hard to tell if the lid is actually in place. The top is made of a rather soft plastic. Therefore, it slides input place rather than snaps. That is part of the reason why it is hard to tell if it is all the way sealed.
I filled to ˝ inch from the top. I put it in the freezer. Some of the lids came unsealed. I'm not sure why - it was not due to over-filling.
They do stack nicely. I like the plastic the lid is made out of. It seem like it would last a long time. However, it does not seal very good (as stated above). The cups look nice. However, due to the shape, they collapse easily when putting the lid on. If you look at the picture, you can kind of see the bend in the jar where it would tend to collapse.
These were now so I purchased them. Ball has some similar jars they have been selling. I purchased them after these. They are MUCH better. The tops screw on snug. The tops screw to the bottom of the next jar and to themselves. This helps with storage when they are full and empty. Great idea. But again, this is for the other jars.

1.0 out of 5 stars TERRIBLE design, buyer beware!, June 7, 2012
This review is from: Ball Jar 8-Ounce Plastic Freezer Jar - 3 pack (Kitchen)
I honestly can't get ANY of the lids on. They all sit crooked. I now have a gallon of jam sitting on my countertop and nothing to put it in!

Do NOT buy these!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Much Better Design!, January 4, 2013
This review is from: Ball Jar 8-Ounce Plastic Freezer Jar - 3 pack (Kitchen)
I've previously used the older style jars (Ball Plastic 8-Ounce Freezer Jars, 5 Pack), and these have much better lids! They require a bit of force to put on correctly, but once on they're very secure. The older style lids never seemed to fit correctly, and they'd come loose over time in the freezer. The fill line is also more obvious now, which I appreciate. Adhering to that line really does make a difference in how well they work. They cost a bit more than the older style, but I think they're worth the difference in price.

3.0 out of 5 stars I was checking Amazon to see if they had a better price. Whoa, May 9, 2014
This review is from: Ball Jar 8-Ounce Plastic Freezer Jar - 3 pack (Kitchen)
I bought these plastic jars at the local grocery store for $3.99 + tax for the 3 pack. I was checking Amazon to see if they had a better price. Whoa! I was surprised at almost double the grocery store retail. I made freezer jam this morning and agree with others that the lids are a bit awkward. Time will tell if they stay sealed well and function as advertised.

5.0 out of 5 stars easier to open than the twist-off ones, January 18, 2013
Pat (Show Low, AZ, United States) - See all my reviews
I've had all the sizes of the older twist-off Ball freezer jars (with zero lid cracks, I might add). The lids sometimes stick, and they're so large, it's difficult to get hold of them. These are pry off and push on. Love them. I have the product in my shopping list to get several more.

Now if they'd just come in the 32-ounce size. I have a bunch of the 8-ounce and find I rarely use them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the new lids, April 16, 2013
We used to use the original Ball freezer cups - with the screw on lids... which were not leak proof. We had to make sure the cups were always upright or we would have a mess in the ice chest or freezer.

The new silicone lids are easy to put on, easy to pull off. They go from the cabinet, to the freezer, and through the dishwasher several times a week and they are still as good as the day I bought them. I have them in both the 8 oz and the 12 oz sizes. Love 'em. Well, now that they have the leak proof lids = )

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, December 3, 2012
I love the product but because of some reviews I've read I only handwash them. I use them mainly for breakfast shakes.

1.0 out of 5 stars They may be new and improved, but they lids still don't fit, February 19, 2013
This review is from: Ball Jar 8-Ounce Plastic Freezer Jar - 3 pack (Kitchen)
I bought the 'New and Improved Leakproof' version of this container and returned it within 24 hours. The lids are incredibly hard to fit properly on the jar. Sometimes it is difficult to see when looking down at the jar if the lids are on, but when you pick them up and look at the top at eye level, you can clearly see that areas of the lid are higher up than the rest, showing that the lids are not snapped on tight.

I tried MANY times to force the lids into place, and I finally gave up. At no point could I get the lids on completely. What a poor design on the part of Ball.

After returning these I bought OXO Good Grips Locktop Containers. They come in a wide variety of sizes (I bought three 20.3 oz. containers) and are SOOOO easy to use. The lids lock into place with a simple push on top. Easy peasy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Ball jar!, January 6, 2014
By far this is my very favorite leak free container! I especially love it to store smoothies, juices &/or shakes! I am ordering more to add to my collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars exactly what we needed, March 1, 2013
We make a lot of stock, and freeze it, and thaw it, and eat it. Pretty much a daily thing. We were using glass jars but it was so disappointing every time one broke while freezing. These are great! We freeze our stock and whatever I need I just run under hot water for a second, pop off the top and dump in the pan. Life made simpler!