5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality; reusable forever
Published on January 31, 2010 by Hazelnut

1.0 out of 5 stars Globalization's ongoing assault on local food security
I am 49 and have canned for as long as I can remember--back to the time I was first able to stand at the stove on a little stool next to my parents. I have canned through tough times and prosperous ones, and in all walks of life. And I give these jars one star...and will never buy them again. (Goodwill and Craigslist are my sources, sorry seller.)

How sad that...
Published on May 5, 2008 by Perkka Saami

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Globalization's ongoing assault on local food security, May 5, 2008

How sad that one corporation now owns all the smaller canning jar companies, and has reduced their quality so terribly. The glass is thinner than ever, the lids come jammed onto the jars--with a higher rate of failure and less reusability--and the jars come in a flimsy carton, not at all suitable for storing and protecting foodstuffs from bumps, dirt, and spider poo. These jars have always been a durable product. Till now.

I hope for the day when someone in China or Poland or Mexico or SOMEWHERE markets a competing brand to Jarden's canning jars, which used to be produced under the high-quality, reliable Ball, Mason, Kerr, and Atlas brands. And now, even the slightly flimsier but serviceable Golden Harvest brand. Just another way that the corporate view (that gentrification means money, and that people of modest means shouldn't be able to make their own food security) is taking everything over.

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: Ball/Kerr lids lined with BPA, September 29, 2010
This review is from: Ball Mason 16-Ounce Canning Jars, Pint, 12 Count (Kitchen)
My how disappointing it was to learn that all Ball/Kerr metal canning jar lids are lined with the hormone-damaging toxin BPA. I hope they're working on a lid that is 100% free of BPA, but in the mean time, if you're searching for lids without BPA, you might try Tattler lids. They are reusable and guaranteed to last a lifetime. There are others on the market as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality; reusable forever, January 31, 2010
This review is from: Ball Mason 16-Ounce Canning Jars, Pint, 12 Count (Kitchen)
A good quality canning jar can be used over and over again as long as you don't break it or chip the sealing edge. I have used mayonnaise and jelly jars from the store, but I've had more breakage with those because they are slightly thinner glass and weren't designed for home canning. I can attest to the dismay at the loss of perfectly good food due to breakage of the jars in the pressure canner.

If you garden, or if you buy food in volume at sale prices, home canning, freezing, or drying make perfectly good sense. Whether you use quarts or pints is up to you. I use both sizes, and the Ball Mason Canning Jars are perfect for all. (Be careful freezing, because overfilling can cause breakage even of the best jars.)

Having said that, I do not recommend purchasing jars online unless the price is extremely low or the shipping is free, because shipping costs can be horrendous. Unless you have no alternative, buy them locally. (There may be some exceptions: If you are shopping online for a company that has a local outlet, they may ship to that outlet for free and you can pick them up yourself.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mason jars, but watch out for rust, December 4, 2012
This review is from: Ball Mason 16-Ounce Canning Jars, Pint, 12 Count (Kitchen)
I admit that I chose these mason jars over other brands and styles purely for their visual appeal. Other reviewers had mentioned that the manufacturing quality left something to be desired, but they are working perfectly for me with no cracks or broken seals. The instructions clearly say that they're not for freezing, but I've stuck them in the freezer without problems (but always careful to leave some headroom and freeze at first without closing the lid all the way).

These are my first ever mason jars with this type of lid, and I'm not sure how other brands last, but the metal lids and rings are very quick to rust, so I've learned that I have to hand dry them immediately after washing.

I've also since found that my local supermarket carries this exact product for a cheaper price, so I would recommend checking yours if you want to save a few bucks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Jars, April 3, 2011
Jen "..." (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ball Mason 16-Ounce Canning Jars, Pint, 12 Count (Kitchen)
I've used these jars to can all kinds of things - jams and pickles - and never had problems with them. They've never broken or failed to seal. I'm very pleased and will probably continue to buy this brand and size! It's a good size for lots of different items.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Jars, March 25, 2011
This review is from: Ball Mason 16-Ounce Canning Jars, Pint, 12 Count (Kitchen)
Hello. I'm new in canning, but I like these jars. They have a good presentation, and have a marked measure on each jar.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, but small!, July 20, 2010
This review is from: Ball Mason 16-Ounce Canning Jars, Pint, 12 Count (Kitchen)
I have now had these for 3 months, and they have held up well. There has been no wear or damage from the dishwasher after constant use. For the price its a nice bargain.

My only complaint is that these are a bit small. I didnt realize how tiny 1pt really is; often have to use 2 of these jars to contain 1 item I make.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mason Jar, February 1, 2010
This review is from: Ball Mason 16-Ounce Canning Jars, Pint, 12 Count (Kitchen)
If your a health freak and love making fresh juice...this is the product you'll want.

My juice stays so fresh! Great seal of freshness on these jars, I mean they have been around for ages!

5.0 out of 5 stars the quality is quite good, April 5, 2010
Ricecat (Los Angeles, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ball Mason 16-Ounce Canning Jars, Pint, 12 Count (Kitchen)
These jars are made with pretty thick glass. The quality is quite good, in my opinion. I was hesitating before placing the order because of another reviewer's comment. Now I'm happy ordering them. They are just what I expected. I have no problem with them at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Canning Jars, February 28, 2010
Scamutz (Charlotte, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ball Mason 16-Ounce Canning Jars, Pint, 12 Count (Kitchen)
I had some concerns about the quality after reading some of the other reviews, but mine were shipped quickly, and of fine quality. I have no complaints at all.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Ball Mason 16-Ounce Canning Jars, Pint, 12 Count
$20.01
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.
Rate and Discover Movies