5.0 out of 5 stars Moving words from one who was there!
Published on October 5, 1999 by M. Graves (Badger012@webtv.net)

3.0 out of 5 stars Brings back memories of the 60's.
This album was one of those that stick with you. I was a young child when this record was released, but can still remember the lyrics to the songs today. It is a tribute to those years, and just thinking about it brings back childhood memories for me.
Published on November 20, 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving words from one who was there!, October 5, 1999
This review is from: Ballads of the Green Berets (Audio CD)
I bought the original LP Album by SSG Sadler about six months before I enlisted in the service. I loved the songs then, and love them even more after my sixteen months in Vietnam and Thailand. My original LP is just about worn out, so I was estatic to find it available on CD. I have long since retired from active duty, but still greatly enjoy the album. The memories, good and bad, that these songs bring back are an important part of my life. They also remind me of the pride that I have for my fellow service men and women, who sacrificed so much to serve. Today, I work with a military intel unit as a support contractor, and we provide intel support to units under going realistic combat training at the Joint Readiness Training Center. The young soldiers I work with enjoy "Ballads of the Green Berets", which shows the timelessness of the songs, as well as reminding me that "all made sacrifices, some sacrificed all".

5.0 out of 5 stars An Essential for Your Complete Collection, July 25, 2004
This review is from: Ballads of the Green Berets (Audio CD)
Just for the historical significance alone, this album is worth owning. The title song was extremely popular and sold over 9 million singles and albums. It is still very listenable, even though the war it was about was over also 30 years ago. As far as the quality of the music, the Amazon review describes Sadler's voice as thin, stilted baritone. I don't know what that means exactly, as I find his voice clear and smooth and very easy to listen to. He ennunciates very well and you don't have to read the lyrics to know what he is singing. Okay, he is not the greatest singer who ever lived, but who cares? He can sing and does a more than passable job of it. Those who are anti-war may not like this album much, but mainly it's about a soldier's experiences in the war and isn't really political in nature--at least most of the songs aren't. Very listenable and enjoyable whether you are a dove or a hawk. The A-Team song is a nice bonus track. Great sound quality. Well worth owning. Tragically Barry Sadler died young under suspicious circumstances.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most important albums and singles of the 1960's, July 19, 2001
Bradley Olson (Bemidji, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ballads of the Green Berets (Audio CD)
This is the album that Vietnam veterans describe as the definitive album of the era and for good reason. Barry was a Green Beret himself during the Vietnam era and these are songs of courage, his life, war, patriotism, making sacrifices, serving the country, and other important things in this world. Barry sang this song on the Ed Sullivan Show and it soon became a #1 pop hit for 5 weeks and also became a #2 country hit in 1966. As you listen to the album, you will soon learn what he was singing about, who he was singing for, and sings from his heart with pride and conviction. Just like Barry's life was dramatic, the album is very dramatic as well and it holds out very well with time. This does contain the entire album, plus as a bonus track, it includes The "A" Team". Although the album is in stereo on this reissue, The "A" Team is in mono so for those who are looking for it in stereo have to keep the "A" Team album. RCA or someone should reissue the other 2 Sadler albums, which are The "A" Team and "Back Home."

5.0 out of 5 stars SENDS CHILLS UP YOUR SPINES, April 2, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Ballads of the Green Berets (Audio CD)
S/Sgt. Sadler is a true American hero, as are all the veterans, men and women, who have struggled, died , or have been seriously injured, and those who have served in non-combat, supportive roles.I honor them every day.
I have read the 38 reviews and it has been as expected, except for several demeaning ones with which I take strong umbrage.But,
as Voltaire said, "I may not agree with your opinion,but I will fight to my death to defend it.'
This reviewer would like to to touch upon some of the other songs n the tape there are sometimes overlooked, but are very good. One of my favorites is the song sung to the Vietnam nurses; it has a poignancy that is very touching; the way the Sergeant says "Vietnam" gives this otherwise negative word some sense of n ormalcy and therefore provides an ironic counterpopint to the theme. I also like the way the Sergeant pronounces the names of Vietnam cities. "Lullaby" is very poignant; but for every song such as this the Sergeant comes back with a tale of sitting in jail. And, 'Garret Trooper," is very funny; so there is a mikxture of patriotism, irony, humor, pathos, and introspection in the lyrics that belies the seemingly simplictic nature of the songs. Before anyone starts criticizing the Sergeant's songs as being, "simplistic" I would suggest a course English Literature. Start with the concepts of mood, tone, setting and then work up to irony.
t

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have CD, March 16, 2003
This review is from: Ballads of the Green Berets (Audio CD)
For baby boomers, this will bring back some strong memories of the 60's. My older brother bought this record, and played it until it wore out. Our father was in Vietnam at the time, so the songs had a special meaning to us. Although "Ballad of the Green Berets" is probably the most popular song, as a father, i found "Lullaby" the most touching.

4.0 out of 5 stars American Pride, March 3, 2002
Alex (State College, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ballads of the Green Berets (Audio CD)
Over the years, Ssgt Barry Sadler music has become a piece of American history. Most notable his trademark song "Ballads of the Green Beret" appears on the cd but it is the other hidden gems that make this cd worth buy. Songs like "Garet Trooper", "The Solider Has Come Home" and "Badge of Courage" proves that the patriotism which Ssgt Barry Sadler did in these songs still stands the hands of time.
The only minor flaw in the cd maybe the stereo mix with has the music slightly louder than the vocals. They should of have used the mono mix instead. But this cd is worth getting for your collection just for "Ballads of the Green Beret".

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings back memories, July 12, 1999
This review is from: Ballads of the Green Berets (Audio CD)
I really enjoyed this album. I first heard if prior to going into service. I volunteered to go to Vietnam and after returning home and hearing the songs again they made me more aware. I was happy to find this on CD since my original album was misplaced in moving.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Green Berets, July 14, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Ballads of the Green Berets (Audio CD)
I was in the RVN with the Special Forces and knew Barry. I still have a 33 1/3 signed by him, which I haven't played for years to keep from wearing it out. Now that the CD is out my children are singing the ballad that we now know is the official song of those everywhere that can say they were Group. The only other CDs that come close to home for this vet are the set called Vietnam - Songs of the Divided.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Soilder, November 18, 2002
This review is from: Ballads of the Green Berets (Audio CD)
I was in the fifth grade when I had two brother's and one of there best friends in Vietnam. I was Lucky my brother's came home there best friend wasn't that lucky, he was killed right after he arrived there..I used to play the album Ballads Of The Green Berets all the time and cry,the way Barry sang those songs you could feel the pain he must have been in. So I was very happy to find this album again after all these years. I would also like to find the other album's he made.He is also a distant cousin I never met,and never new he had died till after reading a review.Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars John Waynes and my view of the early days of Viet Nam, December 27, 2001
Rommy M Henley (Ft Smith, ar United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ballads of the Green Berets (Audio CD)
I grew up looking at John Wayne movies and agreeing with the values he presented. Sgt Barry Sadler confirmed these values in his hit "Ballad Of The Green Berets". The songs in this album make you feel good about our country and the men who went to fight. These men had nothing to do with the political situation but instead answered the countrys call as was required by our laws. I appreciate these men who went, and I love the words in this album praising these young soldiers. Even If you do not like this kind of music, you should listen to these words to understand the Viet Nam vets and the gift they gave to you and me as citzens of this great country.

Ballads of the Green Berets
Ballads of the Green Berets by Ssgt. Barry Sadler (Audio CD - 1998)